Mobil-1 0W-40 in a Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Was looking today for some Mobil-1 0W-30 for my 08 Yamaha Vector but all I could find was 0W-40.

Just curious if this would be ok to run and what are the main differences between the 30 and 40 rating, is the 40 rating too much for a 4 stroke snowmobile?

Polaris runs 0w40 in its four strokes, I believe Artic Cat does too, so I cant see a problem. There seems to be a thin oil craze going on. No oil is too thick, if its a motor oil and not a gear oil, it will work.

Originally Posted By: irv
Guess I was wrong, just don't know if I can purchase it up here(Can) though?

Don't quote me for sure, but that just may be the case. I went the the local Esso/Mobil bulk dealer last fall for some oil, and I believe it was the 0w-30 I requested. They said it was no longer available, and I, like you, had found it on the Mobil site.

I may be mistaken and perhaps I asked for a different grade. Check with your local bulk dealer; they'll know for sure.

Was looking today for some Mobil-1 0W-30 for my 08 Yamaha Vector but all I could find was 0W-40.

Just curious if this would be ok to run and what are the main differences between the 30 and 40 rating, is the 40 rating too much for a 4 stroke snowmobile?

Mobil 1 has two 0w-30s: an Advanced Fuel Economy and a Racing.

What does your snowmobile require other than viscosity? Any API or ILSAC specs (SM, GF-4, etc.)?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Mobil 1 has two 0w-30s: an Advanced Fuel Economy and a Racing.

What does your snowmobile require other than viscosity? Any API or ILSAC specs (SM, GF-4, etc.)?

This is what my manual states under specifications:
Recommended grade:
API service SG type or higher,JASO standard MA
TYPE: SAE 0W-30
Would the Mobil-1 0W-40 be ok/good to run?

Yamaha does make a 0W-40 full synthetic Yamalube.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0w-40 should be fine. So should the Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-30. Of the two, I'd pick the AFE 0w-30 because I prefer not to go thicker than recommended unless absolutely necessary. But either oil should work for you.

I'm just thinking you might want to go with the Mobil 1 Racing 0w-30 just because, since it's not a street oil, it doesn't make compromises for emissions and long drain intervals, which you don't need. But maybe someone can chime in who knows this application better.

Why's that? Not doubting you, just wondering for my own education.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Why's that? Not doubting you, just wondering for my own education.
cheers3.gif

Well it's better cold weather performing, the guy's in our group all use 0/30 in there Apexes,Nytro's and love the stuff.

Better than the Racing 0w-30? I was looking at the PDSs on Mobil's website and the viscosities at 40º C and 100º C look similar. The Racing 0w-30 also lists a pour point of -54º C (none is listed for AFE).

Thanks for the replies and info everyone!!

At this point I am not 100% sure I can get the Mobil-1 0W-30 with the green cap, but I haven't looked too hard yet?

From what I gather, if it is "Not" possible to get the 0W-30 green capped Mobil-1 then I will run the Mobil-1 0W-40 as I gather from these posts it is ok to use?

I will let you know where and if I can find it, hopefully Wal-Mart, Parts Source et carries it?
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: daman
Yes M1 0w40 could be used no problem if that's all you got.

Good to know, thanks!

I just put a post in the car/truck/suv section asking where to purchase it in Ontario?
Hopefully I get some replies stating it is available and can be purchased locally?
11.gif

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

No problem,let us know what you find..

Found out it can be special ordered in if required but not readily available in Canada just yet?

Supposedly Mobil is slowly taking over Esso products and once this is complete or almost complete, then more and more Mobil products will become available?

I was also told it is Esso who makes Yamalube products? (told by someone who was at/visited the Esso refinery in Sarnia?)

Found out it can be special ordered in if required but not readily available in Canada just yet?

Supposedly Mobil is slowly taking over Esso products and once this is complete or almost complete, then more and more Mobil products will become available?

I was also told it is Esso who makes Yamalube products? (told by someone who was at/visited the Esso refinery in Sarnia?)

The yamalube syn 4 stroke oil i'm thinking is good stuff(high PAO) but man the price they want for it is crazy and I'd want to see a VOA of the stuff because i have seen a VOA on the 2 stroke yamalube and it wasn't pretty!

The yamalube syn 4 stroke oil i'm thinking is good stuff(high PAO) but man the price they want for it is crazy and I'd want to see a VOA of the stuff because i have seen a VOA on the 2 stroke yamalube and it wasn't pretty!

I have been hearing that as well, (that Yamalube isn't all that) and that is one of the reasons why I am so eager to switch. (the other being the price of the stuff!)

I recently did an oil change with Yamalube 0W-30 and a Yammy filter, 3 Ltr's of oil and 2 filters were $92 and change!!
I only used Yamalube and a Yamaha filter as the sled was overdue for an oil change and I didn't know what else to run?

When I purchase some Mobil-1 0W-40, I am draining out the Yamalube and putting the second filter that I bought on, then that will be it for Yamalube and Yamaha filters!

I am going to run Hi-Flo filters from here on in, they are a great filter imo and I ran them in my Grizzly without any issues,,,,plus they are half the price of Yamaha ones!

Just curious daman, what are you running for chain case oil/fluid?
I have ran Mobil 75W-90 for years without issue but currently had some leftover Amsoil Marine lube that I thought I'd use,,,,,, good or bad decision in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back