Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one more short check, Dan...because it's a new product.
I still want to figure out some air filter tests, but I've been way too busy (and broke) LOL
Hopefully this summer.

I used a Bosch Distance Plus (Purolator built) D3422 along with the equivalent PureONE PL20195, and Purolator Classic L20195, since these are filters I use:

DSC02002.jpg

The canister on the Bosch D+ is thicker and more rigid than the other two:

DSC02003.jpg

Two other interesting things about the D+ is that the center tube is of a different construction, and the media ends are joined with a metal clamp rather than just glued, as in the others:
D+ Spiral tube
DSC02004.jpg

P1 and Puro Classic vertically seamed tubes
DSC02006.jpg

Media seams
LandRDP1.jpg

On examining the media, all three had about 60 pleats (57, 58, and 60) all of the same depth and height. The Purolator Classic and PureONE measured about .022” thick, the Bosch Distance Plus was about .030” thick…Considerably thicker and stiffer. Looks to me like it will hold more dirt for long usage.
The Bosch media porosity seems somewhere in between the PureONE and Classic, but it’s hard to tell since it is thicker and lets less light through:
Top to Bottom - Classic, PureONE, Bosch D+
TtoB-PuroP1D-1.jpg

Extreme Close up… Top to bottom here is – Classic, Bosch D+, and PureONE

TtoBPuroDP1.jpg

Here’s my test bath after settling out for a few months. There is about ½” of what feels like wet-cookie-dough talcum powder and flour in the bottom…I have to stir all this up thoroughly with my fingers before dipping filters in it. Ewwww!

DSC02008.jpg

The Bosch passed the dirty oil very well. Nearly a tie in speed with the Classic. (PureONE was about 60% more time than these)

DSC02009.jpg

On settling out the filtrate, I couldn’t really tell the difference between the PureONE and the Bosch, but I only did one dipping run, and thicker medias (Bosch) tend do really well initially.
(Having done this a number of times, and having examined so much media under the microscope, I believe the Bosch D+ will probably filter somewhere between the Purolator Classic and the PureONE in the long run…and similar to the K&N and Mobil 1 Ext. Performance filters, which is really good.)

P1DPuro.jpg

This new filter is built more sturdily, and appears to really have more dirt holding capacity than the other Purolator products here. Flow and filtration looked very good.
For the price though, I will probably just keep getting K&N, as it seems to be aimed right at the same performance and price envelope. With the K&N, I get a thread-end bypass (not a big deal to me…but preferred if all else is equal) and a handy nut for removal.

With the Mobil 1, I get the thread-end bypass, too.

With the PureONE for half the price, I get 99.9% efficiency, rather than probably the 99% ish for the same particle size.

Lower the price of the D+ to about $8 - $9 and I will buy them by the case.

Plan on doing a second dipping run?

looks like the D+ is nothing to wright home about beside thicker media it filtered the same as the P1 and on a stock street car who needs a thick walled can.

i do like the crimped media ends vs glue tho,great idea love that in a filter

thanks again Rob for taking the time and funds to do this report!! you the man!!!

thumbsup2.gif

No second dipping, I cut some media off to photograph. After doing so many, I'm pretty sure I got the general feel of the dirt trapping ability.
I'm guessing it will perform about like the K&N, Mobil 1 (in the long run)...better than a Classic, not quite as efficient as the PureOne - but close enough.
It's a very good filter, IMO, but the price is way too high for what it is for me to buy them...$13.99ish.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
IMO, but the price is way too high for what it is for me to buy them...$13.99ish.

I agree, IMO the P1 will do everything the D+ can do until some one can confirm with a test that the D+ can indeed hold more dirt then the average quality filter i'll stick with the yellow P1.

More dirt holding isn't a huge concern of mine since I usually change filters every OC.

Thanks rr, great work as usual.
thumbsup2.gif
One point, my PL14610, AAP 7317 and L14459 all use the spiral center tube, like the D+. Also see these have the coil spring bypass as opposed the flat 45 spring some use.

Don't think I'd spring the extra bucks for the D+'s thicker can and extra holding capacity, though it looks like a solid, well made filter.

Thanks!
Ya. I have never used a Puro product with a spiral tube, myself. Didn't know they ever used them.

Don't know how they determine which tube goes with which application or why, but I was looking at my stash and the only one with non spiral tube was the AAP #3614.(used Fram # system)

Well, I usually just buy the ones I use for testing ('cause I alredy have some in stash). The 10241 and 20195 don't usually have the spiral tubes. I think the spiral tube is a stronger design used for some aps.

Speaking of AAP "behind the counter" filters...I went to get a PowerFlow yesterday and they've changed it to ProMotive with red and blue lettering. Still a Purolator make.
In fact, it says "by Purolator" in smaller letters right under the ProMotive lettering on the filter itself.
I asked for the L20195 equivalent, and got ...I think it was a ProMotive P195 so the numbers changed.
It, like the PowerFlow was, is still about a 1/2" shorter than the equivalent 20195.

That makes two name changes in, what, two years?
What was the oldest one they had, ProGrip or something?

Just mentioning it for a point of interest. I have no idea if the media is the same quantity or quality as the Purolator Classic. (It's a little shorter so maybe a little less of it at least.)

Originally Posted By: river_rat
That makes two name changes in, what, two years?
What was the oldest one they had, ProGrip or something?

Just mentioning it for a point of interest. I have no idea if the media is the same quantity or quality as the Purolator Classic. (It's a little shorter so maybe a little less of it at least.)
The AAP Total Grip (red texture) was the oldest I remember, been a bunch of threads on them. On closeout they went for $1.45, then finaled @ $0.95. Still have 3 of those left.

Then came the PowerFlo's, which one manager tried to sell me when they were out of my application in the AAP TG's. IIRC, they were around $2.39 each, not bad, just not as good as the closeout TG's.

Last time I was in there browsing, I asked about the PowerFlo's. The guy took me back, they still had some PowerFlo's, but there also was some new brand taking it's place, made by Purolator the guy said. White can with red and blue, but I couldn't remember the name, thanks for the info.

I have no idea about the new ProMotives but I suspect they are the same as/similar to the AAP TG's, which are rated 94% multipass, 96% single. And, likely similar to Pep Boys Puro made house brand, though the name escapes me at the moment. Having two cut open AAP's here now, they look very similar to the Prem Plus, though supposedly less media according to the Ford FL-820S alternative, dissection study.

Since you mention it, I'd like to know how the ProMotive looks inside.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Since you mention it, I'd like to know how the ProMotive looks inside.
56.gif

Welllll...I think I'll just go ahead and use this one, then maybe cut it open.
27.gif

Overall, I think I really prefer the PureOne to the Bosch. But... I'm planning for 15,000 mile OCI in my 2008 Toyota Yaris using M1 EP 5w30. It's 1.5L Toyota 1nz-fe engine that calls for a P1 PL1446 or Bosch D3311 filter. These filters are quite small.

I went with the Bosch D+ for the extra capacity. I wonder if I really need that extra capacity, though. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sbergman27
Overall, I think I really prefer the PureOne to the Bosch. But... I'm planning for 15,000 mile OCI in my 2008 Toyota Yaris. It's 1.5L Toyota 1nz-fe engine that calls for a P1 PL1446 or Bosch D3311 filter. These filters are quite small.

I went with the Bosch D+ for the extra capacity. I wonder if I really need that extra capacity, though. Any thoughts?

I could be marketing for all we know,know one has posted any test results showing it can hold more dirt then a standard filter,if you can get a over sized for your appt go with the P1,or don't go over sized the P1 is fully capable of 15k.

I've put in a call to Bosch for more detailed information about the filtration capabilities of the D+. Someone is supposed to be giving me a call back. Purolator has been very forthcoming with requested information regarding the P1. I hope to get similar results from Bosch. I would really like to see how well the Bosch does at 8-10 microns.

-Steve

I think with out looking back RR said the D+ had deeper or longer Medea but i' want to know what the make up of the filter Medea between the two are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back