Fram Extra Guard - 5000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
Here are some pics of a Fram extra guard PH4967 after 5000km

It is not from my car, but a family members car.
-1988 Toyota corolla - Carb'd

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

note: the end cap was actually pretty difficult to tear off, and felt fairly sturdy.

Enjoy
:)

-Joseph

not sure myself.they have a great foothold on the oil filter buisness (will know to everbody).

Nice filter! I took apart an OEM Subaru filter last night and it was very well made. The media was bonded extremely well on each end cap and it was remarkably strong. I've turned the corner on the fiber/paper end caps and I'll be using the Subaru OEM going forward, so I'm no longer a Fram basher
grin2.gif

shocked2.gif
Um, am I the only one that noticed the large piece of media missing?!
lol.gif

Seriously though, the input holes on that look larger than about every Fram I've ever looked at. New construction? On the same note at Canadian Tire last night they had two different Mastercraft filters, made by Fram I believe, and some had the larger holes as well.

Originally Posted By: cp3
shocked2.gif
Um, am I the only one that noticed the large piece of media missing?!
lol.gif

Seriously though, the input holes on that look larger than about every Fram I've ever looked at. New construction? On the same note at Canadian Tire last night they had two different Mastercraft filters, made by Fram I believe, and some had the larger holes as well.

Mastercraft, or Motomaster?

Not sure those are holes in the media. They wouldn't 'light' up like that with a solid center tube. The OP will have to verify and let us know. Maybe debris from cutting the can open?
21.gif

Maybe I should try another Fram. While Champ and Purolator have less media than in the past, maybe Fram has as much or more. Still tough to evaluate the quality.

Looks ok for 3100 miles, got the job done. But,the PH4967 is $4.39 at Advance and listed at $3.99 at AZone, maybe a little less at Wally. And I saw some orange cans for $4.99 at AZ.

The Puro Classic L14476 equivalent is $3.49 at AAP and likely less at Kmart. To each there own, but for oil filter construction it's a no brainer for me.

Thats said, I understand north of the border not much alternative choice for the orange can in that price range.
frown.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Thats said, I understand north of the border not much alternative choice for the orange can in that price range.
frown.gif

I often wondered why that's the case ... is it because of Honeywell making FRAM filters in Canadian, and they try to control the monopoly with the "orange can of death"?

I am sure the Canadian government is taking care of the company making filters in Canada. Maybe they aren't as fanatical as I am about foreign ownership.

frown.gif

You've got that right. It wasn't bad when some of the local Walmarts had AC filters. They were cheaper than the Frams. I haven't seen AC filters there for about ten years, though.

I can get Wix at a decent price, having made friends with a local parts man. For us Canucks, some (notably Full, NPN, and Bosch) are available online at a very good price($5 plus or minus), with free shipping if the order exceeds $75.

One can find FleetGuard and other good ones if one looks hard enough. NAPA is common enough up here, too.

As for the prices you listed, I don't think I could find anything, let alone a Purolator Classic, for $3.49.

Originally Posted By: labman
I am sure the Canadian government is taking care of the company making filters in Canada. Maybe they aren't as fanatical as I am about foreign ownership.

Well, there is one benefit to NAFTA. Reportedly, we Canadians can import Made in the USA auto parts with no duty charges. I'm going to have to try for some filters from the USA, provided I can find someplace that won't want half my annual income to cover shipping.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
frown.gif

You've got that right. It wasn't bad when some of the local Walmarts had AC filters. They were cheaper than the Frams. I haven't seen AC filters there for about ten years, though.

I can get Wix at a decent price, having made friends with a local parts man. For us Canucks, some (notably Full, NPN, and Bosch) are available online at a very good price($5 plus or minus), with free shipping if the order exceeds $75.

One can find FleetGuard and other good ones if one looks hard enough. NAPA is common enough up here, too.

As for the prices you listed, I don't think I could find anything, let alone a Purolator Classic, for $3.49.
Yeah it does seem that the orange can doesn't have much if any competition. Seems like a monopoly. No question though, it works out well if you're Honeywell.

That being the case, it would seem they could at least sell you the very decent Extended Guard for a reasonable price. From what I've read, that's not even possible.

You're right though, the Classic at $3.49 vs the orange can is not a tough choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back