Switched from Mobil 1 to Shell Rottela T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to switch to Shell Rottella T6 5W40 from Mobil 1 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. Why? Well mostly cost.I have noticed that up here in Canada the cost of Mobil 1 has skyrocketed. I was able to purchase 8 litres of Shell for half the price of Mobil. Granted it was on sale.

Anyone else miffed at Mobil 1 prices north of the US border?

I think the current Shell Rotella "T" line of blends are the current sleeper oils when it comes to cost/performance.

I have not tried Shell Rotella T6 befor. My car is 98 Volvo S70 that takes 6l for an oil and filter change.The problem I run into is that when I am shopping for oil due to the metric system in Canada and the marketing of oil it comes in 3.78l (1 us gal) or 4l or 4.4l or 5l containers. You have to watch the prices and read the container sizes very carefully. Frustrating to say the least !

The oil is due for a change so I thought I would try Shell T6 as all of the research I have read points out that it is a excellent synthetic with good stability and long life between oil changes.

The interval is 7500 KM on the Volvo.That`s 4650 miles.

I use Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30 for my VW and I get it at PepBoys. The normal price had been $6,99 per liter but on my most recent visit (not for oil) the price of the oil had gone up a dollar to $7,99.

If prices haven't increased at the dealership then it's actually about $,50 per liter cheaper to buy from the dealership, albeit for a different product (Castrol SLX Professional LL-03).

That's $3.00 a lt cheaper than in Canada!I had to give up on Mobil 1 because it was about $60.00 for 6l. Plus taxes and enviro fees(don't get me going on that one) As our dollar is now par with yours you can see how we get a bit miffed at paying more for smaller size bottles.

I am heading south for a summer holiday this year I will be stocking up on oil and I get to buy it in gallons !

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think the current Shell Rotella "T" line of blends are the current sleeper oils when it comes to cost/performance.

i must agree with MolaKule (i would have to think long and hard about disagreeing). i have recommended this oil on miata.net in the T6 config since it came out. several are reporting good results so far, including one owner with a newly acquired maita that had been severely abused by the PO. lower oil usage and very good cleaning seem to be the order of the day with help in HLA startup noise and hot ticking.

i am currently running Delvac1 in my MSM and FX45. while i prefer Mobil products as a rule, the RotellaT6 appears to be a good oil at any price, and a great oil at the current price. i have no problem recommending it and would have no problem using it (especially at the M1 prices our northern brethren are reporting)

Last edited:
I was researching T6 and was impressed by the owner/operating reports in fleet use. It is aimed at the Diesel world but the T6 5W40 is now being accepted in the regular car world.

Am I correct in asuming that 5w40 synthetic will be a bit more stable than a5W30 or 10W30 over the long run ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volvocarguy
I was researching T6 and was impressed by the owner/operating reports in fleet use. It is aimed at the Diesel world but the T6 5W40 is now being accepted in the regular car world.

Am I correct in asuming that 5w40 synthetic will be a bit more stable than a5W30 or 10W30 over the long run ?

The new formula is suppose to be just that,more stable.

Originally Posted By: Volvocarguy
That's $3.00 a lt cheaper than in Canada!I had to give up on Mobil 1 because it was about $60.00 for 6l. Plus taxes and enviro fees(don't get me going on that one) As our dollar is now par with yours you can see how we get a bit miffed at paying more for smaller size bottles.

I am heading south for a summer holiday this year I will be stocking up on oil and I get to buy it in gallons !

It goes on sale al the time; why don't you stock up on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back