Amsoil ATF vs Honda Z1 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've researched this to death but I was not able to find a decent answer. I drive a 98 accord 3.0L - now these cars are known for messed up trannies, I've had mine replaced about 40k miles ago and it's been running fine except for the downshift to the 1st gear when coming to a complete stop I notice a little nudge on the car which annoys me but it's always done that from day 1 of coming back with a new trans as far as I can remember.

I was wondering if switching to Amsoil ATF over Z1 would help at all? Could I be taking a risk switching to Amsoil ATF over Z1? Is there a risk at all? Would I be helping my tranny run better with amsoil atf over honda z1?

Your views are appreciated.

Last edited:
It really depends on the transmission. Only way to tell is to try it.

I would go for it. You're not going to do any worse than Z1 as far as reliability is concerned. I've experimented with too many non recommended fluids for too many miles now to give Z1 a second thought. I'm running a racing non FM fluid now which just a few months ago we all thought would be instant death.

Amsoil would be an improvement over Z-1 but many on the Honda forum that I frequent recommend Redline D4 for that application.

I think the Amsoil is a far superior fluid than Z1. It couldn't hurt to try it and see, that's the only way to know for sure.

Just doing a couple drain and refills with Amsoil ATF on my daughter's 99 Civic made the shift quality better, and now that I have confidence in the product I will do a cooler line flush with it this summer.

As Honda recommends AGAINST universal ATF fluids, I'm just a little concerned, I don't want to damage my fragile tranny one bit.

Originally Posted By: avio
As Honda recommends AGAINST universal ATF fluids, I'm just a little concerned, I don't want to damage my fragile tranny one bit.

Honda recommends AGAINST anything that they don't make money on. When I bought my Honda and opened the OM and read "use only Honda genuine blah, bla, blah" it was a total turn off. I realize that Honda PS fluid is unique and that using non Honda type fluid can damage the system but I don't think I need to use Honda brand motor oil.

Amsoil ATF (tried it-really like it)

Redline D4 (haven't tried it, yet)

RLI ATF (Renewable Lubricants, Inc)(tried it in my '05 Accord V6-both the tranny and me are quite happy, thank you).

Z1? I'd never use that in a Honda tranny again.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Amsoil would be an improvement over Z-1 but many on the Honda forum that I frequent recommend Redline D4 for that application.

If I had to choose I would pick the D4 but both work great. The D4 just seems to be more stable and consistant from cold to hot.

Total fill is 7.7 quarts.

Do you plan on doing a complete flush? You might want to just do a couple of drain and refills ( make sure to drive several miles between them ) just to see how you like it. I'll bet you'll see an improvement just by doing that.

Also, you might want to consider using the Red Line D4 as suggested by others. IIRC, Johnny used to use it in his Hondas and liked it as well. Amazon sells it I think.

So the RL D4 is better? I asked one of my mechanics and he said he wouldn't use anything but Z1 or Amsoil on my car.

The only special thing about Z1 is the extra zinc (ZDDP). Supposely it is not in universal fluid because it can plug the porous of the clutch pack material but Honda doesn't use any clutch pack material that have problem with ZDDP.

If you are concerned, I'd change it more often and see if the non ZDDP formula would be sufficient in EP protection on the gears. Try it and see if you like it, after warranty, just in case.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are you guys SURE that D4 is the correct fluid ?

I've run it wtih 0 problems.

Yes. Many people run it in their Hondas.

Originally Posted By: avio
Just read this as well, kind of concerning me a little bit with picking the Amsoil now

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=641211&postcount=8

Never heard that one before. What does that have to do with Z1 in Honda AT's? They were talking about MT's in BMW's.....then "on either Nissans or Hondas..I can't remember which.."

Amsoil ATF has been used in Z1 applications for 5 years plus, including 4 solid years in our Odyssey. No issues. That link is what I would call an internet crock of hooie.

i called David at Redline and he told me D4 is the one to use. i also ask was there a change in formula because i did not see Honda on the compatible list on any Redline ATF before (2003 or 2004 era). David's reply was that there was no formula change on D4; the additive supplier disclose to them that the additive package in D4 is compatible with Honda Z1 after they had use if for a while, and that's when they start adding Honda ATF to the compatible list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back