Why do so many people want to run 0 weight oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised so many people talk about running 0 weight oils and 0w-20 oils when they don't live in really cold climates.

What is the big advantage really?

Wouldn't you get better protection in summer driving weather with a 5w-30?

The first number doesn't really matter in the summer, so there shouldn't much difference between the two oils you mentioned at operating temperature, as far as viscosity with comparable oils goes.

They are the best; better flow when cold. Even in 78F they flow better. Better base oils needed for the 0W oils. No downside..

Often times they also have a lower HTHS, which would result in better fuel economy. That's measured at 150 degrees, so there is some benefit at any temp.

0w oils are the future. Might as well start enjoying them now. I love them personally.
49.gif

Supposedly they are made with the super best greatest base stocks that provide longer drain intervals, greater gas mileage, a greener planet, a lighter wallet, and doing all this while making marketing executives wet their pants.

They probably do have better base stocks and hold up to higher temps better, but I have to believe a bunch of it is the push by marketing firms to preserve humanity from Man-Bear-Pig.

For the first time this winter,I ran Redline 0w30 and it flowed alot faster(oil pressure) then the previous winter fill of Amsoil ASL 5w30,so IMO,Redline wins my winter fill.
thumbsup2.gif

I have hybrid Camry. The engine's oil never gets up to what we'd consider full operating temperature because the engine starts and stops. So... the oil will hardly ever get up to its 20 rating (at 212F/100C) it always wobbling between ambient and full hot, I'd like it to have maximum pump-ability for best circulation.

Because it's an on again, off again, motor I think I need to have superior protection when starting ... hot or cold.

Except for the on/off part, the same thing applies to my 3.3L Sienna van. (Yesterday, I just... for the [censored] of it... checked the oil temp after a round trip to town. The ambient was 70 something... oil on the end of the dipstick..85F. After 15 miles of driving.

Cheers!

I don't want a 0WXX not in warm weather anyway. Most of them are group III and you got to wonder about the Noak and extra VII it might have versus a similar 5W- or 10W-. I still like a 5W- or even 10W- in warm weather/climates.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am surprised so many people talk about running 0 weight oils and 0w-20 oils when they don't live in really cold climates.

I don't know anyone who wants a 0-weight oil. Did you mean 0w? That's different.

0w-20 oils are great for just about any car that specs a 5w-20. Even the ones that aren't marketed as synthetic have a healthy dose of at least group III.

You want your oil to be as thin as possible, and as thick as necessary. The only reason you might want go thicker than what your manual recommends is if you drive the car very hard (i.e. at a race track). Other than that, it's best to stick with the recommended viscosity, and many cars spec xw-20.

For those cars, an xw-30 would only protect better under VERY hard driving and VERY high oil temps, which most people never even approach.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: ZZman

read this" http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

then come back with your comments

+1 For me in a newer leak free engine I'll take the 0w-xx over a 5W-xx or 10W-xx any day.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
For the first time this winter,I ran Redline 0w30 and it flowed alot faster(oil pressure) then the previous winter fill of Amsoil ASL 5w30,so IMO,Redline wins my winter fill.
thumbsup2.gif

Did you try the Amsoil 0w30 (SSO)?

I just worked on the AE Haas link. Well there aren't any -10W-x oils. After I bought a 92 Grand Am with the HO Quad 4, I couldn't bring my self to put the specified 5W-30 in it. Eventually not only did I cave, but went on to put the 5W-30 in my truck. Easier starts and batteries and starter motors last longer.

Nobody here seems to stock any 0W stuff here, so I am stuck with 5W.

Walmart stocks 0W20 and 0W30 Mobil 1 in large amounts in this area.
I never see a Pennzoil - or other - 0W20 or 0W30 at Wally World, it would likely make many people happy to have a little more choice.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
thumbsup2.gif

You're comparing a 0w-30 to a 5w-30 in winter?
Try SSO and then re-evaluate.

Because even 100 degrees Fahrenheit is cold for oil. Get to the 180 degrees region and then you're talking normal. The second rating is measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius.

Wake up in the morning when it is 20 degrees below f and you go out to start your vehicle and then then ask that question .

I have started my vehicle under those conditions and heard the metal scream .. ouch

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't want a 0WXX not in warm weather anyway. Most of them are group III and you got to wonder about the Noak and extra VII it might have versus a similar 5W- or 10W-. I still like a 5W- or even 10W- in warm weather/climates.

You're old school man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back