Mixing Shellzone blue with green antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am replacing the radiator on my 99 S10. I have a couple of gallons of blue Shellzone antifreeze I picked up at a yard sale several years ago. My question is if I use it to refill the new radiator and later need to top off is it okay to mix the Shellzone with regular old Supertech green antifreeze? According to the bottle the Shellzone is ethylene glycol based. The truck has used green for several years after Dexcool caused an intake gasket leak. I have zero desire to use Dexcool or anything like it. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I've never heard of the Blue Shell antifeeeze. Does it contain Silicates?

Honestly I don't know. I bought it thinking it was regular old green stuff and found it was blue. The stuff has to be 10 years old-I have had it for almost five. I can't look at the jug right now to see if it says anything about silicates.

You're right. The SuperTech is the universal pee yellow stuff. I called around to Napa and a couple of other shops in town and NONE of them had the original green formula on the shelf. So I just used the SuperTech stuff. Man I miss the days when antifreeze was antifreeze.

I'm surprised your NAPA didn't carry Zerex Green. My Napa has every coolant, Green, Peak Global, G-05, Asian Vehicle...Advance around here also carries Peak Green.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm surprised your NAPA didn't carry Zerex Green. My Napa has every coolant, Green, Peak Global, G-05, Asian Vehicle...Advance around here also carries Peak Green.

The NAPA website says they have it but when I called they said they didn't have any in stock. The other local parts store across the street only had the universal stuff too. Oh well it's a done deal now I'm sure the radiator will outlive the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back