Synlube VOA Attempt - Set-Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the comment on that link.

"In summary, the iron levels are off the freaking chart. Levels like this usually indicate the start of a problem. Even is a new engine that is still breaking in.

Secondly, the TBN is absolutely horrible. How is the oil supposed to go much longer than this with just a low TBN?

This oil is supposed to be a 5w50 lubrication. Well, its not really much of a 50 weight anymore. It's nicely inside the spec for a 40 weight. And if it were still a 50 weight, the viscocity at 40 degrees would make it a 15w50. Instead, with everything combined, you have a 20w40. That's baffeling. The Viscocity Index supports this at a poor 142. Superior my.....

I've seen better reports on brand new engines with $4.00 per quart Mobil 1. Instead, you have a sucky report on an oil that cost $30 a quart and needs to be changed."

Last edited:
Yes, I read that too.

Except for the viscosity, nothing really makes sense.

There is too much variability here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
"When it's time to change the oil, you can take
the used oil and send it back to the company where they will microfilter it and
restore the additive balance. The end result is an oil meeting new oil specs
and ready for the same service all over again."

Who are you quoting from? A user or Miro's Website?

Molakule, it looks like he was quoting from a user, post 14 in this thread http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4136

I don't know that he's legitimate user and not a shill.
21.gif

I have sent out a sample of Synlube collected from my Saturn to Bruce for analysis. This will have 19,011 miles on it and just about 2 years time. This car does mostly very short trips (work less than 2 miles from home) and has been on one highway trip to Utah.

Engine runs great, uses about 1/8 qt of oil per year (short trips probably most of it) and from what I can see, looks clean inside the fill hole.

Also, here is a pic inside my other car with Synlube:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1842031&#Post1842031

I have tried to remain as neutral as possible and not take sides. I am not here to try to convince anyone to use or not use it but rather give an objective report as best I can. The Murano, I felt, had nothing to do with my choice of oil. It was cursed with issues to the point even with dino in it, was causing dealer visits. That is why I was willing to try Synlube again for my two new cars. I figured if I have problems again I can move on knowing I know better. Meantime, I enjoy not having to climb under my cars and getting a carcinogen on me 2-4 times a year (although I have learned to use gloves).

I also don't think Miro is acting dishonestly. From my limited communications with him (all email) he has come across knowledgeable in many areas of lubrication and seems to care about his field and customers beyond the original sale. A huckster is only happy to make the sale and moves on. Out of blue sometimes I will get an email from him asking for odometer readings for his records. He also must have contacts in the industry because when I was having issues with my Murano he was even somehow able to get my warranty claim info of all my dealer visits that matched up with my records. Etc.

I do wish that some of these tests he mentions could be verified with actual scanned proof or internet links or something. Also verified documents of NASA/JPL using Synlube would also go a long way compared to hearsay. Or being able to show conclusively he is manufacturing his own product. But as his business, that is his problem.

Anyway, Thanks Bruce for doing the analysis's.

A con man by nature has to be able to deceive other people. A lot of cons have the ability to talk pleasantly with other people. Just because somebody talks pleasantly does not mean he is a nice person. And somebody can read up on some subject and appear to be knowledgeable.

Even without a VOA or UOA on Synlube there are an overwhelming number of negative facts about Synlube that totally convince me that Synlube is worthless.

Now I would like to see a VOA on Synlube for sure. But if it never happens it does not really matter for me. Give me conventional Valvoline, Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Chevron, or whatever. I would use anything before I used this Synlube stuff.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Budman, I see you are in Nevada. Do you know where Synlube's location(s) are?

My feeling exactly. Even if his UOA is perfect, sorry I ain't biting. A wolf in sheeps clothes. Miro/Kirk/Mora burnt too many bridges..............

Sorry, not trying to imply that Budman is a shill. I don't know if he is or not, but that wasn't my intent. I was actually just wondering if being that he is in Nevada and bought Synlube, perhaps he has seen the place.

I can't speak for Budman. But if I had $32.00 a quart motor oil in my vehicles and questions had been raised about the company that sold me that oil, I think I would want to find out for myself about that company. And if the company was close by I would probably drive by and see if it was actually located at the address given in the website.

The State of Nevada is a big state. Not small like some of the eastern states. A 100 mile trip in one thing, but if Synlube was 15 miles away I think if it was me, I would take a drive.

No, I have never seen an actual location. The first time I bought Synlube (for the Murano, probably around 2005) I blindly went in thinking I would come to their place and pick some up since they were local. But I ended up having to meet someone in a parking lot who then sold it to me from his trunk. I remember at the time thinking, "ok, that was weird". I just spent $150 bucks and place didn't have a location I could go to.

This second and third time I purchased they both were fedex'd to me as well as the ADD oil I ordered past Dec. One time I did ask for a UOA for my Murano and Miro said I could drop it off to the place that receives their mail, which is the 2961 Industrial Road address.

I just don't know what to think. Part of me says forget the red flags and keep it in engines on schedule. Cars run fine. Other part of me now wants to go dump it out this weekend in both cars.

Originally Posted By: Budman

This second and third time I purchased they both were fedex'd to me as well as the ADD oil I ordered past Dec. One time I did ask for a UOA for my Murano and Miro said I could drop it off to the place that receives their mail, which is the 2961 Industrial Road address.

I just don't know what to think. Part of me says forget the red flags and keep it in engines on schedule. Cars run fine. Other part of me now wants to go dump it out this weekend in both cars.

Budman, thank you for your insight into how Synlube does business. If it were me I would dump it and put in a known good oil. modern engines will last well over 200k miles on good oil changed at reasonable intervals. I suspect Miro is telling people modern engines only last 100k miles so they won't be as disappointed when they go Tango Uniform after 100k miles on Synlube.

If you do decide to get a UOA, whatever you do, don't turn the oil over to Synlube. If Synlube wants to recommend a place to get the UOA done, you might consider it, but try here first to see if anyone has any experience with the company doing the UOA.

If you do decide to take the risk and keep the Synlube, please keep us posted.
34.gif

I think that is the best advice for Budman. If I was him I would change to some known, good quality motor oil like Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1. If there is some way to look inside the engine it might be interesting to take a look.

To finally put all of this to rest I think we need some VOAs and UOAs on Synlube.

It was a tough fight.

I have sent out a sample of Synlube collected from my Saturn to Bruce for analysis

It looks like bruce381 will be doing a UOA on Synlube that has 19,011 miles on it and just about 2 years of time.

That sounds great. We will finally have a UOA of Synlube that has some considerable mileage on the oil. Remember Synlube claims this oil will last 50,000 miles (or is that 150,000 or 300,000 miles?). The Synlube with 19,000 miles should still be in pretty good shape. If it is not, obviously Synlube is not as great as they claim it is.

I feel really good that the Synlube crowd seems to have left this website. They were pushing product without helping to sponsor the website. And they were abusive to anybody who opposed what they had to say. I would never use Synlube even if it was given to me free. But I do want to see a VOA and a UOA on Synlube.

For me I am trying Pennzoil Ultra and I will also try Mobil 1 HM.

Man this Synlube company is real good. He has single handedly beat every major oil company in history and every chemical engineer working in the field and produced an oil that is like 10 times better.

The guy is an Eintstein

I am buying a truck load tomorrow from a deserted parking lot in Nevada. Can't beat the vertical marketing and low overheads either. Man again this guy is a genius.

I say boo hoo to all you doubters.

Originally Posted By: XS650

Budman, thank you for your insight into how Synlube does business.

To be fair, what makes my example any different then how Amsoil operates? Amsoil operates as a pure multi-level marketing company and one can't find their product at a STORE either.

When I first moved to Vegas 11 years ago I remember I wanted to try Amsoil for my then new car. I checked Amsoil website and found out they didn't sell in stores and the website gave me phone # of a local 'dealer'. I contacted that person and drove to get some oil. I ended up in an apartment complex, to which I was invited into a small semi-dirty studio apartment and he sold to me from his supply stacked in his closet. Guy was nice but at the time I ALSO thought "ok, that was weird..".

Bottom line is only the biggest of the oil companies with billions can get the marketing and shelf space in major stores.

But of course, Amsoil at least has a headquarters one can visit..

Anyway, I won't be posting much anymore for now. We need to let this simmer down for a bit. I look forward to seeing the UOA of my Synlube from Bruce. I also plan to keep Synlube in my vehicles and will try to pop in here every now and then to keep updated (whether good or bad).
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: XS650

Budman, thank you for your insight into how Synlube does business.

To be fair, what makes my example any different then how Amsoil operates? Amsoil operates as a pure multi-level marketing company and one can't find their product at a STORE either.

When I first moved to Vegas 11 years ago I remember I wanted to try Amsoil for my then new car. I checked Amsoil website and found out they didn't sell in stores and the website gave me phone # of a local 'dealer'. I contacted that person and drove to get some oil. I ended up in an apartment complex, to which I was invited into a small semi-dirty studio apartment and he sold to me from his supply stacked in his closet. Guy was nice but at the time I ALSO thought "ok, that was weird..".

Bottom line is only the biggest of the oil companies with billions can get the marketing and shelf space in major stores.

But of course, Amsoil at least has a headquarters one can visit..

Anyway, I won't be posting much anymore for now. We need to let this simmer down for a bit. I look forward to seeing the UOA of my Synlube from Bruce. I also plan to keep Synlube in my vehicles and will try to pop in here every now and then to keep updated (whether good or bad).
Thanks guys.

I know nothing of Synlube. I will not put them down. I just want to set the record straight. Amsoil is sold in stores. (NAPA, Carquest, etc come to mind) In Las Vegas you can go to the LARGE regional Distribution Center. But that's not what makes Amsoil legitimate. It's more like the 40 years in business and history. To imply something shady about a legal MLM company, isn't right.

Sorry, carry on.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
That sounds great. We will finally have a UOA of Synlube that has some considerable mileage on the oil. Remember Synlube claims this oil will last 50,000 miles (or is that 150,000 or 300,000 miles?). The Synlube with 19,000 miles should still be in pretty good shape. If it is not, obviously Synlube is not as great as they claim it is.

I feel really good that the Synlube crowd seems to have left this website. They were pushing product without helping to sponsor the website. And they were abusive to anybody who opposed what they had to say. I would never use Synlube even if it was given to me free. But I do want to see a VOA and a UOA on Synlube.

For me I am trying Pennzoil Ultra and I will also try Mobil 1 HM.

Mystik, I have my doubts. I want to give Budman the benefit of the doubt, with 30 posts, and from Synlubes supposed location. But do we really know if his oil sample as 19,000 miles on it? Maybe it does we'll know soon enough. Now had you, Johnny, Gary Allan, Buster, etc., etc., or any of our long time members used the oil I would be more inclinded to believe the results. Honestly I wouldn't be the test dummy, I most certainly wouldn't pay $32 for a qt of oil. After the name calling, and circus show leading up to this, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to be crash dummies or pay that kind of money either. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back