PureOne PL14610 with 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks,

This PureOne PL14610 is from a 2004 Honda Element 2.4L with 73,000 miles. It was in service for 6 months and just over 5,000 miles. The oil used was Penzoil Platinum 5W-20. This was the first time synthetic oil had been used in this vehicle. It has seen many cold-soaked 0F to -20F startups through the winter. Most of the driving on this car is highway.

Surprisingly almost all the oil drained out of this filter when i turned it over. In just a few minutes it was very light and there was only residual oil leftover when I cut it open. I kind of wonder if the dome-end leaf spring compressed and left a poor seal between the ADBV and baseplate.

026.jpg

Here's the innards. It has the typical compressed pleats around the connection point. Nothing to unusual, but....

028.jpg

029.jpg

...it seems that the media began to seperate from the end caps.

030.jpg

035.jpg

The rest of it looked fine though and there were no other defects found.

033.jpg

I recently posted a thread with the exact same filter and similar engine and driving cycle. The media was bonded very strongly to the end caps. The only problem I see in your pics there is something going on at the media to end cap bond. I think the plastic part there might be hot bonded and it's just residue.

I have the same problem with every single Purolator filter I have ever used on my accord. Wonder what causes it to seperate from the glue like that?

Just looked at the ~5k OCI AAP Total Grip off a Civic, and the pleat ends are all sealed/intact. I'll look close at the PL14610 I remove from my Accord in June.

+1.... See what purolator says about it.

It kinda looks like the media was moved before the glue dried????

Nice pics but you have a closer view of it and can guess better than I can.

Originally Posted By: cven

I'm no expert on filter construction, but it looks like the media material seperated from the glue under pressure. Under close inspection it has a ripped look at that end. This media connection point seems to have wider gapped pleats in most filters. I think there may be more drag on the wider-gapped pleats allowing a better chance for media seperation from the endcap. But what do I know.
55.gif

In any event, I know there's been a lot of discussion regarding a PureOne's longevity. Personally, I wouldn't want to try and run any filter that didn't have a reinforced media for a long OCI. PureOne's aren't reinforced with anything and, as you can see, it began to separate at a weak point in just a 5,000 mile run. I think they're great filters, but for folks in to 7,500+ mile OCI market I'd say something like a Royal Purple or Amsoil would be more appropriate. That, of course, is a discussion for another thread.
27.gif

It is hard to say from the pictures, but I don't see any strings from the glue. Usually if you pull something away from uncured glue, it leaves strings. Looks to me like it failed in use. Whether it was defective out of the box or failed later, it is very disappointing for what you pay for them.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Originally Posted By: cven

I'm no expert on filter construction, but it looks like the media material seperated from the glue under pressure. Under close inspection it has a ripped look at that end. This media connection point seems to have wider gapped pleats in most filters. I think there may be more drag on the wider-gapped pleats allowing a better chance for media seperation from the endcap. But what do I know.
55.gif

In any event, I know there's been a lot of discussion regarding a PureOne's longevity. Personally, I wouldn't want to try and run any filter that didn't have a reinforced media for a long OCI. PureOne's aren't reinforced with anything and, as you can see, it began to separate at a weak point in just a 5,000 mile run. I think they're great filters, but for folks in to 7,500+ mile OCI market I'd say something like a Royal Purple or Amsoil would be more appropriate. That, of course, is a discussion for another thread.
27.gif

That is what it looks like to me as well.

I cut open the same filter with the same mileage on an Accord 2.4. I didn't see any issues with the media. The media was well bonded to the end caps and it took a lot of effort to get them to separate. I posted another smaller P1 with 8k miles and haven't noticed any issues with the media the ADBV or anything else.

I don't know what to make of the pics here. I can't really tell what happened whether the media shifted before the glue dried or if it moved in service. I'm going to keep cutting the P1s and until I see a trend of an issue I'm going to consider them a solid filter. All of I've personally seen so far is a well constructed sturdy filter. If this is the worst of the P1s then it's better than the worst of just about everything else.

If the media is separating then you should be able to move it. If it moved before the glue was dry then you won't be able to move it.

Originally Posted By: severach
If the media is separating then you should be able to move it. If it moved before the glue was dry then you won't be able to move it.

Yep ... take some tweezers and grab the pleat near the bond line and see if the media moves around compared to another pleat that looks normal.

I wouldn't want to try and run any filter that didn't have a reinforced media for a long OCI....I think they're great filters, but for folks in to 7,500+ mile OCI market I'd say something like a Royal Purple or Amsoil would be more appropriate. That, of course, is a discussion for another thread.
27.gif

Now, reaching that absolute conclusion based on this/your experience with the P1 is premature IMO. Looking at the used 5k/6m OCI Puro made filters (AAP, MC) I have sitting cut open, there is no separation/separation apppearance on any of the three. As I said, I'll know better in June if your experience is typical with the P1. But, based on similar posted here, it doesn't seem typical.

You have previously expressed a preference for OEM filters, even started a thread IIRC. Perhaps you should switch to the Honda A-02 sold by the dealer. The Fram Tough Guard clone can run as high as ~$7.50 from my local dealer,
whistle.gif
or just get a Tough Guard. I wouldn't but....
21.gif

As for the two choices listed for the 7500+ OCI, I'm sure they are fine filters, but @~ $15+ out of my league. The the XG at ~$8 would be as high as I'd be willing to go. But as far as the P1 and 1year or 7500 mi. OCI's goes, that's cart before the horse for me right now based on my (and others) experience.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I wouldn't want to try and run any filter that didn't have a reinforced media for a long OCI....I think they're great filters, but for folks in to 7,500+ mile OCI market I'd say something like a Royal Purple or Amsoil would be more appropriate. That, of course, is a discussion for another thread.
27.gif

Now, reaching that absolute conclusion based on this/your experience with the P1 is premature IMO. Looking at the used 5k/6m OCI Puro made filters (AAP, MC) I have sitting cut open, there is no separation/separation apppearance on any of the three. As I said, I'll know better in June if your experience is typical with the P1. But, based on similar posted here, it doesn't seem typical.

You have previously expressed a preference for OEM filters, even started a thread IIRC. Perhaps you should switch to the Honda A-02 sold by the dealer. The Fram Tough Guard clone can run as high as ~$7.50 from my local dealer,
whistle.gif
or just get a Tough Guard. I wouldn't but....
21.gif

As for the two choices listed for the 7500+ OCI, I'm sure they are fine filters, but @~ $15+ out of my league. The the XG at ~$8 would be as high as I'd be willing to go. But as far as the P1 and 1year or 7500 mi. OCI's goes, that's cart before the horse for me right now based on my (and others) experience.

I prefer OEMs on my Subaru because its the only oil filter with the correct bypass pressure relief and every aftermarket I've put on a Subaru weeps/leaks at the gasket when temps drop below freezing.

The Honda is a lot more universal and does well with aftermarkets. The Honda A02 is not entirely a Tough Guard clone and, in any event, there are A01s still easily obtainable in the $5 range. I replaced the Honda's P1 with a Napa Gold that I purchased during the 40% off sale.

I know most people do just fine running P1's, Napa Gold/Wix, etc... for long OCIs. I'm not trying to take a filter to its limits. I buy quality OEM or aftermarket filters and perform maintenance per manufacturer recommendations. That's what works for me.

The Honda A02 is not entirely a Tough Guard clone
No not exactly. Having cut both open though, the only visible difference besides the color of the can, is the screen over the bypass on the TG. Haven't seen any efficiency rating on either of the Honda filters but the TG is rated at ~99%. So IMO, very close.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
time to switch to Fram

You made me shoot Mountain Dew out of my nose...
13.gif
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back