Pics of (Korea) Pronto Filter from 2010

These have been mentioned before in a few other posts and most seemed concerned that they are apparently no longer being made in USA. I took the plunge and got some from Rock Auto for two different applications. They were both about $1.75 each not including shipping. One of the applications (P3985) are marked made in China. The subject of this post is the P01A (FL1A equivalent), and these are marked as made in Korea.

I have to say that both of these look quite impressive out of the box with seemingly flawless construction, really beautiful paint, and impressive heft, none of which obviously makes them good filters.

So, I cut one of the Korean ones open and I think it looks pretty good. Am I crazy? What say you?

100_0093.jpg

100_0089.jpg

100_0091.jpg

100_0094.jpg

yeah i was looking into these from rockauto i could get 7 filters under 20 dollars shipped

looks like a good filter are the China filters the same as the Korean

FWIW the Korean made ones are marked:
"Manufactured by ISO/TS16949 Certified Company"

...and the Chinese ones are marked:
"Manufactured by an ISO 9001 Certified Company"

The Chinese ones are equally impressive looking and feeling without cutting one open (yet). You guys are gonna make me do it, I can see it coming!

I bought a case of the Chinese ones, I think they are Chinese, and they look really good and are heavy. They seem as good as any and better than a E-core. I am going to cut into one and see what the internals look like. If it looks as good as that Korean filter, Ill be happy. Thats a nice looking filter.

I was really happy with the made by Hastings in the USA one I bought last year. Very disappointed they are no longer available.

I draw the line at American made filter by a foreign owned company. As long as I can get a quality filter at a fair price with Bosch/Purolator I'll stick with them. The American made and owned alternative of Fram and Wix don't seem to offer the same value IMO.

I've used Pronto filters before with no issues, I'd use a Pronto filter before I use a SuperTech e-core or a Fram.

I guess if I wanted a solid filter for cheap I'd probably go with the Proflos by Purolator or Protech or whatever they're called. If you know where to look you can get P1's and Bosch premiums for under $4 shipped, and i think that is the best value.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I'd buy that 2.00 filter before I bought an ST by a long shot.

^^ +1 on that ^^

Originally Posted By: miraCRD

FWIW, having an ISO9001 certification has nothing to do with the quality of the product. This certification simply means the company has documented its policies, processes, and procedures in accordance with the appropriate ISO standard. You can be ISO certified and still make a shoddy product.

*Please note: I'm not saying these filters are shoddy, I'm just trying to clarify the popular belief that ISO certification automatically means a high-quality product. It doesn't.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

*Please note: I'm not saying these filters are shoddy, I'm just trying to clarify the popular belief that ISO certification automatically means a high-quality product. It doesn't.

Yep ... it just says you have the processes and procedures documented to make shoddy products, if shoddy products is what is produced as planned.

Originally Posted By: miraCRD

The Chinese ones are equally impressive looking and feeling without cutting one open (yet). You guys are gonna make me do it, I can see it coming!

We will accept cutting it open after use.

Yeah, the ISO thing is mainly about consistency.

I think it's really traceability. You can follow the paper trail back to the mine that the ore was extracted from in making the can or base plate ..the batch of resin that glues the media to it ...etc...etc.

Back