Question on Briggs Intek V-Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 8 year old Craftsman (AYP) heavy duty lawn tractor that is developing some sludge/varnish. Last season, it was filled with Rotella-T 15W-40 HDEO. Well, it don't like thick oil. It burned it at about 8 oz. per week (10-12 hours). Now that I am a BITOG'er, I want to clean her up and thought about this method:

Run PP for a month or Ultra, then fill with GC (seems to be used in a lot of OPE around here). I have a couple of B&S filters (a lot of money for a dinky filter), but after searching, I have found cheaper alternatives (super techs, purolators, etc) Wix, Fram, and OEM are just way pricey for a monthly change out. I am just concerned that the alternatives have higher bypass pressures than OEM (12-14 vs 8 for OE). Think the Briggs will care?

Here in Central Florida, Mowing season is 6 months, and from May-Sept, temps are close to 100 with 90% humidity! Tough on air cooled engines.

Any suggestions on oil selection or filters?

I want to keep this thing running as long as I can, as it is a good mower and tugger for a cart, aerator, and spreader.

Thanks,
Dave

I might try 8 oz of MMO and do a 25 hour run.

The Briggs oil is pretty good from what I understand, but 13 bucks for 48 oz is a little steep as this engine takes 2 1/2 quarts with standard filter change, probably 3 with a puro. Every month would be pretty expensive.

After I get her cleaned up, I may just run PYB and change monthly, but it seems to like syn.

Dave

Dave all you need is SAE-30 nothing else , Valvoline or Napa are good choices. Forget the MMO you dont need it. Synthetic oil is a waste in this engine it wont protect it any better then conv. oil. I have a 42 year old briggs on a Toro and it starts in two pulls and it's had nothing but SAE-30 it's whole life.

That engine should take a motorcraft fl-400,that is what i use on mine,my briggs uses oil and i change oil at least every month i have tried syn. and conventional,makes no difference i just use phillips 66 sae 30 in it now.

Thanks for the input. I will try the MC400 filter and probably just run Pennzoil HD30 or if I can find Rotella in 30W. Mower never comes out in winter. It has only seen syn twice and I think I will keep running a good dino HD for it.

Thanks,
Dave

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Dave all you need is SAE-30 nothing else...

I agree that SAE30 generally gives great results. It's worked for me and works in my climate. I completely disagree that it's the ideal engine oil for this particular engine in Florida heat. Vertical shaft V-twin engines like this Craftsman tractor have can be fickle beasts when it comes to oil consumption. Much of your consumption is simply a result of oil sump to cylinder orientation. Mowing on any nose-down inclines will result oil escaping from the sump and into the combustion chamber. For the same reasons, these engines are extremely sensitive to being (even slightly) overfilled with oil. You will burn off that excess in short order. I believe the OP's oil consumption concerns with 15w40 are the result of hills and/or overfilling. IMO, 15w40 is the ideal oil for this type of equipment in FL heat. I also second a FL400 or equiv engine oil filter.

Joel

Last edited:
My yard is pretty level, just huge over an acre, plus I help out my neighbors a lot with mowing. Their yards are pretty level too, maybe a 3% grade in places. I have some Rotella 15w-40 for the generator, I might just try it again in the mower. I am going to change it out this weekend. If it uses it, then I might switch to 30wt and see how that goes. I try not to overfill, and last season, it would go from full to add in a week or so with the Rotella.

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back