STP Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was being bottled by J.D. Streett, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it on Streett's web page. Maybe they lost the contract.

http://www.jdstreett.com/index.php

Streett used to operate Zephyr stations in the St. Louis area, they since have branded ZX (Zephyr eXpress) gas for independent stores many who used to sell Citgo.

Definitely a small regional player. Check the bottle at DolGen and see if it still says Streett. If not, they dumped the brand. If so, it might be old stock since Streett isn't mentioning it.

Last edited:
I've seen it too in DG's around here and it is still bottled by J.D. Streett. Don't know...it may be old stock moving slow.

Anytime i see anything with STP i still think of "The King" Richard Petty. I guess that's what you call a great marketing job!

Originally Posted By: BlutoBodine
Anybody ever use it, or know if it's any good? Saw some 5w-30 at the Dollar General store and was curious about.

A friend of mines Dad used it for years, never a problem, and he changed the oil only 2x ayear, go figure.

I don't think any oil is made for STP anymore.

I e-mailed them a couple of years ago about their oil, and they weren't having an oil made to market.

That's not to say someone doesn't have the rights to it, but judging how little you see or hear of it, I don't think it's being made anymore.

I bought a quart of it just to put it on my shelf. It's SM rated so I'd assume it's decent enough to run for 3-5k miles at least. Probably similar to something like Peak oil.

Thanks for the info. I picked up 5 quarts and will try it at next service. May have an analysis done @ 3k and see how it compares to my last Durablend analysis.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I bought a quart of it just to put it on my shelf.

Me too, last weekend bumming around a DG. Put it on my odd items shelf.
Might be a collectible someday.

I bought some on sale a few years ago for use in my Bonneville.
Oil looked a little "dark" when poured in but worked just fine.

Id buy it again if I found it on sale.

$2.75 a quart is the regular price right now.
That's almost already on sale.
thumbsup2.gif

They also have this UniLab brand for .50 less. Never heard of it. The 10W-40 at least is API SF and says not to use on cars newer than 1988.

BTW, I noticed the STP, though SM, does not specify ILSAC GF-4 rating.

I had a few cases of it in 10W40 back in the mid 1970's IIRC. It came in the round cardboard quart cans, with the metal tops. It was an OK oil as far as I can remember. For the right price (dirt cheap, next to nothing) I'd use it in a beater I guess.

IMO, STP usually puts their name on reasonably good products, but I'd rather use the STP oil on a beater or a mower - not knowing anything about it - now that it's a bargain oil from DG.
I do occasionally use the oil treatment, and have an STP (Champ) air filter on my truck right now.
(The air filter seems to be one of the better built ones for my application, actually.)

Originally Posted By: BlutoBodine
Anybody ever use it, or know if it's any good? Saw some 5w-30 at the Dollar General store and was curious about.

With all the awesome oil on the market these days there is no need whatsoever for STP motor oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I had a few cases of it in 10W40 back in the mid 1970's IIRC. It came in the round cardboard quart cans, with the metal tops. It was an OK oil as far as I can remember. For the right price (dirt cheap, next to nothing) I'd use it in a beater I guess.

AFAIK, in the 1970's, STP ONLY came in a 10W-50 grade, and was a '15,000 mile' extended-drain oil.

Don't know if it actually lasted that long, but that was it's big selling point in the ads of that period.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
With all the awesome oil on the market these days there is no need whatsoever for STP motor oil.

Indeed. We could probably lose a few brands, randomly, and still not be hurting for good choices.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
AFAIK, in the 1970's, STP ONLY came in a 10W-50 grade, and was a '15,000 mile' extended-drain oil.

Don't know if it actually lasted that long, but that was it's big selling point in the ads of that period.

Now I want to look for ads from old Popular Mechanics.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You'll find them in both Popular Mechanics, and Popular Science.

Funky-1970's cool!

I used to have a small box of my dad's(?) PM and PS from the 60's that were the smaller and thick issues. I loved re-reading those and wishing I had the $ for some of the (even now) neat ideas they had for add-ons to a house.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back