Valvoline Synpower 5w20 Accord 4 cyl 7,619 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my test results back from Staveley through Wix. I am concerned about the high fuel dilution and not sure what to check. Here is the info:

2006 Accord 4 cyl driven in Wisconsin (very cold winter). Car has been driven for shorter trips than usual, but still about 7 - 20 miles of country roads and highways each ride. I took sample while draining oil for a change. It was 20 degrees outside. Drove car for about 4 miles before sampling. Still awaiting TBN number. M1 oil filter on for 15,000 miles, all with Valvoline Synpower 5w20. NAPA Gold air filter installed 15,000. Car had 58,439 on when oil was sampled.

Iron 12
Chromium 1
Lead 1
Copper 2
Tin 0
AL 5
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Sodium 48
Magnesium 10
Calcium 1833
Barium 0
Phosphorus 621
Zinc 752
Moly 0
Boron 7
Potassium 0
Water 0
Coolant No
Fuel 5.3
Visc100 7.32

What could cause this high of a fuel dilution and what should I check? Thanks.

IMO it is not a horrible number but not good either. At 4 miles in sub-freezing weather the fuel enricher circuits are still sending a slightly rich mixture, and no burn off has yet occured in the oil. If the car never goes over 20 miles, my guess is that a slow build up of fuel has occured, and combined with the short warmup before sampling spiked the number. There has been a lot of sustanined cold in the upper Midwest. My vehicles don't really feel up to temp for many miles when it is below 20 degrees. Again JMO, I am sure others will chime in. And recent Honda's tend to run a higher fuel readings. There are some threads about it. A search may be revealing.

I agree with what's been said, while you probably exited the fuel enrichment part of warm up, the oil wasn't at any temp to flash off any fuel after 4 miles. Depending on the time component involved, I doubt that you reached 125F oil temp.

That said, I don't THINK it would have accounted for 5+% fuel dilution for one event.

Ok, so a couple questions. What can cause fuel dilution and how can I troubleshoot what problem my car may have?

How does the rest of my results look? I wish I had the TBN to see how the oil additives held. Hopefully they will be able to provide this to me.

Ask the lab to re-run the fuel dilution test, it could be that they dropped the ball with that test.

If it's a legit number, take your car on a 50- 60 mile highway drive and then re-sample for testing, send it in and see where you're at. I agree with the other posters that you're just not getting much burn off in that climate with short trips, and I'll bet it will come back in spec after a decent warm up.

My OLM went to 0 about 200-300 miles before I changed the oil. It was really, really cold when it hit zero so I minimized my driving until it warmed up a bit.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Ask the lab to re-run the fuel dilution test, it could be that they dropped the ball with that test.

If it's a legit number, take your car on a 50- 60 mile highway drive and then re-sample for testing, send it in and see where you're at. I agree with the other posters that you're just not getting much burn off in that climate with short trips, and I'll bet it will come back in spec after a decent warm up.

The fuel reading may be correct depending on which method was used to conduct the testing.

For instance, the method used by Blackstone and the method used by the Dyson Analysis contracted lab are so different that the Dyson lab results will always show significant fuel dilution.

I see that you've run your oil filter for two OCIs. Didn't seem to push any wear metals or insolubles into the red at all. I'd push for another 1500 miles and continue what you are doing. Save for the short trip before your sampling
wink.gif

I don't think the lab dropped the ball on your fuel dilution issue nor do I think there's a problem with your car. 4 miles isn't enough to burn off any fuel dilution that's typically caused by running in the fuel enrichment stage of warming up your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I don't think the lab dropped the ball on your fuel dilution issue nor do I think there's a problem with your car. 4 miles isn't enough to burn off any fuel dilution that's typically caused by running in the fuel enrichment stage of warming up your vehicle.

I agree. There is no mechanical fix, other than driving the car for longer peroids of time. You could try blocking off a section of the radiator. That might speed up the warming up process. Don't block the entire radiator, and stay clear of where the oil, or tranny lines go into the radiator.

Just a follow-up here. I did call Stavleys to discuss these results. Great customer service BTW. They did run the tests a few times to double and triple check the fuel dilution numbers. Unfortunately, they had disposed of my sample so they could not re-run to get me the TBN. I forgot to write that on the form before sending the sample (strange they don't have a place on the form to check TBN or TAN). I'll know better next time.

I believe it has been mentioned running a FRAM AIR FILTer on Hondas will decrease the fuel dilution see in UOA.
I have the same car (2005 model) due for its 7500 oil and filter change this weekend-will advise of the results

Steve

Is it just me but does this oil look weak in the add dept?? Some dino show a better add pack. Valvoline yet is loved by many here on BITOG why,
34.gif
is really beyond me.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Is it just me but does this oil look weak in the add dept?? Some dino show a better add pack. Valvoline yet is loved by many here on BITOG why,
34.gif
is really beyond me.

It's beyond you because you have to realize that not all additives show up on a VOA/UOA!

Originally Posted By: buster

It's beyond you because you have to realize that not all additives show up on a VOA/UOA!

Thank you, I linked this thread to another I think this thread got dragged into another about Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back