When this is over (Toyota)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When this Sticking Throttle, Braking business is over, What new systems can we expect mandated on new cars?
I guess Kill Buttons will be likely. Brakes overriding throttle control another, But hey, look how crazy the seat belt warning systems got in the 70's
33.gif

How about a Dead Mans Handle on the steering wheel (must be depress on the engine shuts down after 5 seconds)
Or Two Gas pedals (for automatics) one for each foot, if one fails the other will override.
Explosive bolts on the Drive Shafts?
Any other ideas?

I saw something on TV about some outside air bag to slow vehicles down in a collision...perhaps Toyota needs it now!

John

I think you nailed it, OP. At least this will be less intrusive and expensive than the TPMS we are all getting because of the Explorer/Firestone issue.

Drag chutes?

How about an anchor that can be deployed, think the Monorail episode of the Simpsons.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Drag chutes?

How about an anchor that can be deployed, think the Monorail episode of the Simpsons.

lol.gif

Every motorcycle that I've owned has a kill switch near the right handgrip.

That said, I don't have a single concern with my 2004 Silverado, with its "old fashioned" throttle cable, and an actual key that goes into an actual ignition cylinder that starts and stops the engine.

Call me old fashioned. *sigh*

Any number of things, I'm sure the government will be happy to get involved.

But the main backup already exists. That is, to put the transmission in neutral. Those automakers better be sure that the transmission can actually be shifted into neutral. I can see that we will soon have messages that will be visible in the cabin, explaining what to do if you are a victim of runaway electronics.

I was once called a "luddite" on this site for suggesting that drive-by-wire was a bad thing. But this is what it's come to... anyone who believes this is caused by floor mats or sticking pedals will eventually come around. I'm a semiconductor engineer. Those parts can't be tested fully. They can also "change" over time. It's a bad idea, and you can bet that every automaker out there is looking at Toyota and reviewing their own liability in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back