2 x E-Core (shocker) , 20k+ Fram, P Classic - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to using my new filter cutter. I'll admit, this was an eye opening experience and I've formed some very serious bias *against* using an e-core ever again. I liked these filters up until now. Here we go, I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

2010_03_06_OF%20001%20%28Large%29.jpg

1. Fram PH3593. This filter came off a 1999 CRV when a friend came from out of town for a visit and she informed me her oil hadn't been changed in 2-3 years. Of course I gasped, ran out and changed her oil for her. This lady friend keeps no records and does *no* maintenance to this car. She has put on 60k miles in 5 years, making an average of 12k per year. Therefore this filter has anywhere between 20 and 30k miles on it. It held up quite well all things considered, other than the small hole in the media:

2010_03_06_OF%20011%20%28Large%29.jpg

The rest of the media looked in pretty good shape considering the mileage and years in use:

2010_03_06_OF%20014%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20015%20%28Large%29.jpg

2. Next up an AC Delco PF53 (E-core). These both came off a 2002 Saturn. It's my parents car and it gets 5k km (3.2k mile) OCIs religiously with whatever conventional is on sale:

2010_03_06_OF%20017%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20018%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20020%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20022%20%28Large%29.jpg

3. Another PF53, same car, same oci, and this is the SHOCKER:

2010_03_06_OF%20023%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20024%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20025%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20027%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20028%20%28Large%29.jpg

And of course the rest of the media looks great
54.gif

2010_03_06_OF%20030%20%28Large%29.jpg

I sure hope the missing media was missing *before* I put that on my car, cause who knows where that bit of media is stuck if it blew off during the oci.

4. Lastly, a Purolator Classic, re-badged as QS3387A off a 2000 Astro, running 5-6k OCIs with on sale dino:

2010_03_06_OF%20031%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20032%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20033%20%28Large%29.jpg

2010_03_06_OF%20036%20%28Large%29.jpg

Needless to say, I'm left seriously wanting after seeing that ecore with a *HUGE* hole in it. I simply can't trust that design anymore after seeing this with my own eyes.

Keep in mind, all 4 filters were cut open cleanly with a filter cutter and not changed in any way before the pics were taken. Meaning, the wavy media, holes, etc, were exactly as they were when pulled gently from the can.

I used to defend ecores, unfortunately I can not anymore. Had a chunk of media blown off any other filter brand with a metal tube and small holes it would not have passed into the oil passages and disappeared. With the ecore, you have exactly that scenario as a possibility, and as proven above, very likely.

The Fram with 20k+ miles is impressive really. Other than the pin size hole, it held up amazingly well. I still wouldn't use one on my car after seeing the way the bypass spring and adbv loosely fit against the fiber end caps.

The Purolator was the way I expect a filter to be built. The adbv was firmly in place on the metal end cap with no possibility of a bad seal. The bypass spring could use some sort of rubber seal instead of metal on metal, but it's a lot better than metal on fiber IMHO.

I'm heading out for the night for poker and beer and won't be back to respond to this thread until tomorrow or Monday. In the meantime, enjoy!!

Yup, fram and the ecore ST or delco are junk IMO. The purolator is the best of that bunch no question. Try a Pureone they are very well built.

How did that can opener work.Do you have a link to the one you got?

Pull on them end caps from that escare,you'll love how they peel off so easily.

what scrap!!! look how that media was being pushed in the wide cage,could have failed in more then one place easily

next time run a P1,NG,WIX

But the ecore ST is worth it because it is only 2.50......
33.gif
crackmeup2.gif
None of those filters look great. Thanks for posting the pics, it is quite shocking to see. Also the Fram ADBV is not loose when it is pressed tight against the base end when the filter is together and it is going to not be that way once the filter has been cut open. Of course is it the best way for the ADBV to be? Of course not, is there a best way? Probably not but it seems everyone likes a ADBV that fits snug even when the filter is cut open.

Lately I've been having more reservations again about the E-core plastic center tube and felt end caps. I think the plastic cage with big holes along with the felt end caps does not support the filter media well . I much prefer metal construction.

Plastic can hardened over time with heat. And when it fails, instead of bending it can crack and shatter. No to mention plastic can be defective and weak at manufacture and prone to breaking. I don't like plastic on any critical engine part. I don't care for the Ecore's combination ADBV and bypass either. It's not an issue with most GM models that don't have a bypass in the filter but I wouldn't want it on one that did.

Wow. That fram done an excellent job! Guss I'll be buying an extended Guard instead of an ac delco for my caddy!

The large gaps in the plastic cage don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling if chunks of media can break off and slip through.

I'm thinking the hole looks very clean cut, and there is no Flap of filter media.
To my mind if this were a rupture the edge would be raggy, uneven and leave a flap.
I wonder if the Hole was made during manufacture?

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Wow. That fram done an excellent job! Guss I'll be buying an extended Guard instead of an ac delco for my caddy!

The Xtended guard is a totally different animal.

Given that oil flows from outwards in, did you find the piece of missing media, or is it sitting in an oil passage, filtering away and slowly plugging up ?

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Originally Posted By: daman

I guess we both have different experience. This is the one i posted. I ended up tearing the media trying to pull off the end caps. Good to know i have great experience with it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post349959

Theres no way im going to believe that,been there done that on many of then scrap filters,they pull off crazy easy,NEVER once tore the media, always clean off.

looks like it came clean off to me,you defend your inferior filters,if it makes you feel good about using them.

Glued good huh?
DSC01130.png

now here's a filter,a $.95 AAP total grip!!

IMG_0406.jpg

I guess we both have different experience. This is the one i posted. I ended up tearing the media trying to pull off the end caps. Good to know i have great experience with it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post349959

Theres no way im going to believe that,been there done that on many of then scrap filters,they pull off crazy easy,NEVER once tore the media, always clean off.

looks like it came clean off to me,you defend your inferior filters,if it makes you feel good about using them.

Glued good huh?
DSC01130.png

IMG_0406.jpg

I don't really care if you believe me or not, i'm not pushing anyone to use them.... I'm just saying what my experience in the past. I don't use the E-core any more because I no longer have the Saturn. The ST i use now have metal end caps. Call [censored] all you want, it's not going to hurt my feelings. I posted what i observe. Like i said, your experience is different than mine.

The ST i use now have metal end caps.

Hold the phone!!!!!

gotta give you credit thats a better filter,steel center tube to hold media in place better,steel end caps with real glue thats holds,well done.
11.gif

IMG_0406.jpg

Dang I wish I could still get those.
thumbsup2.gif
My stash is getting lower. At $.95, $1.45, BOGO or even the regular $2.88, they were worth it for sure. Running them on two vehicles right now.

yea i scooped up all i could,i think i got around 20-25 on hand for family friends cars.

i would run one of these 10,000 miles over a fram-o-death or escare for 3,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back