Amsoil ASL--07 Toyota 4-runner--9200 miles/1-year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out how to link the results over, so i'll type them out i guess.

Oil filter--OEM for whole duration
Oil--ASL 5w30 with no makeup oil added
Driving--80 city/20 hiway
32,100 miles on unit
Air filter--K&N
Lab# 494054---SLC, Utah----OAI

Overall severity of report is 4 which is critical for low TBN.

Comments: Base number is essentially depleted. Abrasives (silicon/dirt) are at a MINOR LEVEL; flagged additive levels are lower than expected for the lubricant that is identified. This does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API, SAE OR ISO classifications. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged; Change oil and filters if not done when oil sample was taken.

WEAR METALS--PPM
IRON------20
CHROMIUM--0
NICKEL----0
ALUMINUM--7
COPPER----3
LEAD------2
TIN-------0
CADMIUM---0
SILVER----0
VANADIUM--0

CONTAMINANT METALS--PPM

SILICON---30--Flagged
SODIUM----7
POTASSIUM-0

MULTI SOURCE METALS--PPM

TITANIUM--0
MOLY------59
ANTIMONY--1
MANGANESE-0
LITHIUM---0
BORON-----46--Flagged as abnormal

ADDITIVE METALS--PPM

MAGNESIUM--14
CALCIUM----3682
BARIUM-----1
PHOSPHO----721
ZINC-------899

FUEL-------- SOOT-------- WATER------- VISC-100CCS--11.3
TBN----------1.88---Flagged for critical

I-R OXID----41
I-R NITRA---27

Is it the silicon that beat up the oil so bad, or what?

Any ideas or comments on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

After the oil change, i replaced the plugs and in the process had to remove the intake. While doing so, the clamp closest to the filter was quite loose; of which i tightened.
Could this have contributed to the high silicon, or is it mainly the K&N?

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Nice results. Silicon did not cause any extra wear according the UOA.

How can you tell? To me the report looks ugly.

BTW....This is the 4.0L V-6 in my sig.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

What looks ugly? 80% city driving. Fairly brisk winter. Full year of use. Nothing really stands out- TBN used up in short trips, that's for sure.

Even for a K&N a delta 20 for Si (~10 native), meh so-so.

What brand is the OEM filter you are running?
I don't think I would run OEM anything for the full duration of an Amsoil OCI.
Toyota's tend to run dirtier as well, although I'm not positive on your particular model.

So it don't look to bad to you then?

Any recomendations?

IF the wifey continues to drive it like this, what should be the MOST time and miles for this oil?

Or should i switch to SSO?

Last edited:
Toyota OEM Thailand version; don't remember the number.

Yeah, got the EAO34 in it now.

ALUMINUM--7
COPPER----3
LEAD------2
One year OCI
80% city

I don't think it's a bad UOA. To tackle the silicon without getting rid of the K&N air filter, you need to change your oil filter every six months. In some Toyota's engines, it is required to change the oil filter every 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Is this your first run with Amsoil.

NO. This is the 3rd run with ASL and OEM oil filter.

Any recomendations?

IF the wifey continues to drive it like this, what should be the MOST time and miles for this oil?

I run SSO, but if you're only putting 9200 in a year I don't know that I would necessarily switch.
A good question was posed here:

Toyota OEM Thailand version; don't remember the number.

Yeah, got the EAO34 in it now.

That is good that you are running the Amsoil now. I would get an oil sample every 5k with this oil filter and see what you're looking like. I, personally, am just very hesitant about having run that OEM filter that long, so I'd like to see a second set of results (which doesn't appear to be bad as others have mentioned).

Remember as well that the K&N filter is likely giving you more air inflow...and more particle inflow as well. Don't be surprised if you were to see a few lower numbers running a less "open" air filter.

NO. This is the 3rd run with ASL and OEM oil filter.

Cool. 3rd consecutive?
Did you test the other 2 OCI's?

Any recomendations?

I would switch to SSO for a few more dollars, OR of you actually want to save a few bucks, switch to ACD. Both are actually better for short trip full year usage than ASL.

Well, i see a change coming with those 9200 miles becoming more than that. More like 12-13k miles per year, now that the corolla is gone. Couldn't justify keeping 3 vehicles any longer so we dumped it.

Yeah, i'd much rather run the EAO filter. But now with Amsoil's discontinuation of them for Toyota vehicles i don't know what to think. I figured the OEM would be good for up to 10k miles, from what others have said here on BITOG.

YOu know regarding the air filter. K&N must be dirtier than my TRD in my tundra (ASM), cause i only got a 11 silicon reading in that vs. the 30 here. Of course, the TRD is twice the size BUT...twice the motor there too. Almost i guess...390hp vs. 250 hp. Only 6k miles on that UOA, mostly towing.
TRD didn't make one for the 4runner when i bought the K&N, but they do make it now and i could surely buy one. IF...it would improve those numbers. Any proof on that; i don't know.

THIS current one is the third run with the ASL. I was just thinking about that at dinner, and we've only had it 3 years now and i know i changed the first couple with Valvoline or Mobil one synthetic before switching to Amsoil. But those were a change at 2500 or so, and the second at 7500.

Last year was only a 6k mile run or so, so i didn't test it.

This is the first test on this vehicle, but i wanted to see how it's doing.

So even though ACD is not specified for this vehicle, you would run that then? I thought it was more money than even SSO, but it's been a while since i checked the prices.

Do you think running the EAO will help lower the silicon numbers at all? Will it help retain TBN?

Keep in mind, the EAO34 is about 1" longer than the spec'd EAO57 for this vehicle.

Use an OEM/Paper air filter and watch your Si numbers drop. I noticed a big improvement going with a fram paper filter. Your choice
grin2.gif

I would not hesitate to use ACD 10w-30. The price has always been very reasonable for a stout full synthetic oil.

I can no longer advise running an EaO on a Toyota for extended drains. Oil Filter will have no effect on TBN - with the exception of more oil volume as you note. I would remove the K&N AF and see what happens with Si.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back