Harley Syn3 3000ish miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley Syn3 3000ish miles

Syn3.jpg

Thanks for posting. Syn3 UOAs are hard to come by. Looks like the bike was still breaking in a bit which is normal for an HD at this mileage. Oil stayed in grade which is more than you can say for many oils in this application. I beleive HD 360 and Syn3 to be perfectly good oils just over priced.

Two years and four months old right? So have you had any UOAs done since and did the wear metals go down? Do you have an oil cooler by any chance?

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Thanks for posting. Syn3 UOAs are hard to come by. Looks like the bike was still breaking in a bit which is normal for an HD at this mileage. Oil stayed in grade which is more than you can say for many oils in this application. I beleive HD 360 and Syn3 to be perfectly good oils just over priced.

Two years and four months old right? So have you had any UOAs done since and did the wear metals go down? Do you have an oil cooler by any chance?

I haven't done anymore UOAs. I am at 22k with about 12 of it on Mobil1 V-Twin. I switched over when I ran out of the free Syn3 that I got for Christmas.

No Oil cooler. I did install an Oil temp guage with sender in the pan. Temp wise I didn't see any difference between Syn3 and Mobil1.

I was planning to do a UOA on the Mobil at the next change. But.... I am also eyeballing the 20-50's that I see on the shelves for 3.99 a qt.

Looking at the spec sheet for Valvoline VR-1. I am willing to give that a try. If not for anything else but to see if the temp guage wiil see a diff.

I was wondering about the oil cooler due to the high copper. But it is not unusual to see that in break in on these engines.

Valvoline VR-1 or Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil seem to be about the same based on VOAs and UOAs and priced the same ($4). Big step down from M1 Vtwin but of course less than half the price. M1 15W50 in the 5 Qt. jug is about $4.50 per Qt. Probably better than VR-1 but still no match for M1 Vtwin. Any of it should be fine for 3K OCIs. M1 Vtwin of course can go 5K or more and not shear out of grade one bit and provide single digit wear metals in UOA. You are currently using one of the best IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back