RL 5w20 11958 miles Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
E04731.jpg

This report is for my '09 Focus. The first 5293 miles was with the oem motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20. Then switched to RedLine 5w-20. It was run for nearly 10k miles with RedLine then changed with RedLine again.

This report is for the second iteration of RedLine with a total of 11958 miles on the oil. The odometer reading for this oil use was 15258 to 27216 miles.

The oil filter used was a MicroGreen. I had reservations about this filters micron teflon bypass filter with thoughts of this merely being an advertising ploy. However, the very low particle counts show this filter is doing a good job.

On the next sample, I plan to extend the mileage to 15k and it currently has a K&N oil filter. It will be interesting to compare particle counts between the two filters.

And yes, I do realize that I am gambling with the warranty of the car using a non-approved oil. However, I have confidence in both the car and the oil. This is also part of the reason for the analysis as I wanted a complete check of the oil before pushing on to 15k miles. I had also originally only planned to run this oil for 10k but events occured that delayed changing until nearly 12k miles but the report shows I should be able to easily go 15k miles.

I should also describe that this car is used for my work commute of 100 daily miles which is mostly hwy.

Doug

Excellent.....so much for the neophites saying redline is not a long drain oil!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Cyclops
E04731.jpg

This report is for my '09 Focus. The first 5293 miles was with the oem motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20. Then switched to RedLine 5w-20. It was run for nearly 10k miles with RedLine then changed with RedLine again.

This report is for the second iteration of RedLine with a total of 11958 miles on the oil. The odometer reading for this oil use was 15258 to 27216 miles.

The oil filter used was a MicroGreen. I had reservations about this filters micron teflon bypass filter with thoughts of this merely being an advertising ploy. However, the very low particle counts show this filter is doing a good job.

On the next sample, I plan to extend the mileage to 15k and it currently has a K&N oil filter. It will be interesting to compare particle counts between the two filters.

And yes, I do realize that I am gambling with the warranty of the car using a non-approved oil. However, I have confidence in both the car and the oil. This is also part of the reason for the analysis as I wanted a complete check of the oil before pushing on to 15k miles. I had also originally only planned to run this oil for 10k but events occured that delayed changing until nearly 12k miles but the report shows I should be able to easily go 15k miles.

I should also describe that this car is used for my work commute of 100 daily miles which is mostly hwy.

Doug

Zero make up oil? That car is tight as can be huh!

15K is not out of the question on this oil.

I wonder how much longer this oil could go with the scheduled regimen of Lube Control (LC)? 18K-20K I think would be do able.

Fantastic, run it 15,000 miles and check back! The oil stayed well within viscosity, maintained very low wear levels and demonstrated some good TBN retention with 15k miles on the clock.I am also interested to see the K&N perform especially against a competitor that I've never heard before - MicroGreen.

No doubt your driving regiment helped, but an outstanding report none the less! I do wonder if a host of other cheaper synthetics would put down these kind of UOA's with 100 miles of highway per day.

Wow! Looks great, I have the Duratec in my Ranger, hope the uoa's look good. I'm digging the Moly, Phos, and Zinc numbers. I may try this oil in a few OCI's. Can't wait for the 15K run!

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
No doubt your driving regiment regimen helped...

fixed ...oops, I think I am channeling Mori!

That is an amazing report - I think one of the best on here!

An engine w/less than 30k on it, and Fe is about 1ppm/1k miles.

Would love to see the 15k report.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
No doubt your driving regiment regimen helped...

fixed ...oops, I think I am channeling Mori!

You got me. I didn't proofread before I clicked "submit"!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That is an amazing report - I think one of the best on here!

An engine w/less than 30k on it, and Fe is about 1ppm/1k miles.

Would love to see the 15k report.

Really? I'm just not seeing anything extraordinary. Definitely good and this oil could definitely go quite a bit longer in this car but this is an engine that's cruised on the highway for 50 miles at a time and an oil that's definitely not inexpensive. I run PP 5w-30 in my Civic Si putting out over 120 HP/liter driving it daily 5 miles each way to work and back with short trips galore and enjoy the deserted roads we have with tire-burning launches and runs to 8600 RPM on a regular basis and my last UOA of 8200 miles (pulled with 18,000 miles on the engine) showed Fe at 6 PPM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back