How often should I change transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check you owners manual to be sure but 50-100k sounds about right to me assuming by standard transmission, you mean manual? I would not go 100k on any automatic transmission fluid.

go by shift feel. On a new car Id do it at 10-20k though to get junk out.

Ive found that redline looses shift feel quick, while amsoil has been consistent for years now...

My old 91 Ranger 5 speed had M1 ATF in it and I couldn't tell a differance in shift quality even after 150K. Had to have the slave cylinder replaced and the tranny shop put what ever in it then I could tell the differance.

I would change the first fill in not more than a year.
Why? The fluid is most likely OK, but initial wear in particulate matter is what I am concerned with.
I am looking for more life than 100,000 miles out of a car. Mfrs. are often not shooting higher than that.

Keep abreast of what is the newest and best suitable fluid for your car.
Amsoil and Redline make superb replacement manual trans fluids.

After the initial change, you can go years with good synthetic fluid.
How long? I change fluids too often. You can probably leave a good premium fluid in for another 100,000 or more, but 50,000 changes are going to keep things in peak condition.

Manual transmissions are so easy and inexpensive to service that I would not think twice about servicing them at least every 60,000 miles.

Just drained/refilled the tranny fluid on my 2003 Civic, used GM syncromesh fluid. Not sure if the dealer did it before I bought the car but just wanted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back