WIX 51040 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all. 5000 miles on this filter with valvoline durablend 5w30, in my grand prix. im not sure how comfortalbe i am about the media "crushing" like that. i cut open a brand new one and the pleats were straight up and down...

100_3886.jpg

100_3893.jpg

i thought i would add these filters dont have bypass valves. its built into the block

Last edited:
doesn't that look bad for 5k miles ? good that it trapped all that stuff but by the looks of it i would have thought it had at least 7500 miles

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wonder if the media is 'swept' rather than squashed. Doesnt/wouldnt the metal core tube maintain the unit height?

I think what happened is the media grew some due to use, oil saturation, etc. If the length of the pleats grow slightly, then they have to bend slightly as seen in the photo - mostly with metal end caps and metal center core. Most filters will have wavy pleats after they have been used awhile ... at least most photos I've seen of used, cut open filters seem to show this.

The filter media is in worse shape than an ST that i cut open with 5,000 miles. This is not what i expect from a filter that's 3 times the price.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
The filter media is in worse shape than an ST that i cut open with 5,000 miles. This is not what i expect from a filter that's 3 times the price.

That's because with non-metal end caps or center tube, there is "wiggle room" for things to grow/expand ... so the pleats don't "squirm". But, IMO there is nothing wrong with those pleats on the filter in the photo.

heres a thought: the metal core in the center of this filter spirals. could that cause the oil to flow a certain direction and attribute to the media looking like that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

That's because with non-metal end caps or center tube, there is "wiggle room" for things to grow/expand ... so the pleats don't "squirm". But, IMO there is nothing wrong with those pleats on the filter in the photo.

The ST I was talking about is the 7317 which has the metal end caps and center tube.

The ST I was talking about is the 7317 which has the metal end caps and center tube.

Post up a photo of said filter.

I do not know where you find a Wix but I haven't seen one for 3 times the price of a supertech.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I do not know where you find a Wix but I haven't seen one for 3 times the price of a supertech.

Yeah.... If I've told you once, I've told you a million times... Don't exaggerate like that!!!

56.gif

After looking at that photo....I wouls advise switching to a Purolator PureOne...........

Better Media.......

Last edited:

Post up a photo of said filter.

Ok then.... This one came off my car with 4,500 miles. I have others that i've cut open with 5,000 miles that looks the same that was never posted.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1531851&page=1

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Baxter's auto parts is the only place in my area that sell Wix filters. The ST i just bought was $2.50.... My mistake... It's 1 cent short of 3 times the price. Take a look for yourself, it's the same price online as it is in the store

34594899.jpg

Pureolator PureOne's are $5.95 at Bi-Mart here in Central Oregon. Its a better filter than a WIX (better media), and cost less.

Amazon sell a pair (2) of PureOnes FOR $9.48 (I think)...Purchase over $25, and you get free shipping.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Pureolator PureOne's are $5.95 at Bi-Mart here in Central Oregon. Its a better filter than a WIX (better media), and cost less.

Amazon sell a pair (2) of PureOnes FOR $9.48 (I think)...Purchase over $25, and you get free shipping.....

Got 4 of them in my stash, and one on my car now :) Thanks for the heads up about Bi-Mart, i forgot about that place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back