303 on leather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use 303 souly for the care of their leather car seats? Would it keep the leather lubricated and moisturized? I know it would keep the UV rays off it but would it be enough to keep leather looking new for years to come?

I guess you can give it a try.

With so many other leather-dedicated products out there that are cheaper than 303, I never thought about using it on leather, but 303's website seems to allow it.

You should use automotive-specific leather cleaners and and same-brand treatment for cleaning and re-hydration. I would suggest visiting some of the popular car detailing websites- several have excellent articles explaining auto leather "dos and don'ts".
303 is fine for a UV-block topper- I've used it on my leather interiors for years as a between-cleaning touchup. 303 does have some self-effacing (removes itself)cleaning ability, too.

303 is for use on finished/coated leather as well as vinyl & rubber. I use it on leather after cleaning with Woolite & water. Superb product for every listed application. Unfinished leather, hard to find these days, should be treated with Lexol or a similar leather only product.

From 303 website:

"Most of the leather upholstery in domestic cars of recent vintage is plastic coated. The upper surface of such leather is ‘vinyl’.”

“Leather upholstery in most European cars is 'naked' leather which has no protective finish. The surface is that of the original hide. This leather 'breathes' and accepts conditioners applied to its surface.”

Dr. Jenkins explains how to tell the difference between “coated” and “naked" leather. Referring to coated leather he states, “Such leather can be identified by the failure of a drop of water applied to its surface to be absorbed into the leather after a few minutes.”

Contrasting the ability of naked leather to absorb conditioners (and water) with coated leather, Dr. Jenkins states: “While vinyl-coated leather is care free by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance.” Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather.

So, how should plastic coated leather be maintained? According to Dr. Jenkins, “Such leather should be maintained exactly like vinyl upholstery.”

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
303 is for use on finished/coated leather as well as vinyl & rubber. I use it on leather after cleaning with Woolite & water. Superb product for every listed application. Unfinished leather, hard to find these days, should be treated with Lexol or a similar leather only product.

From 303 website:

"Most of the leather upholstery in domestic cars of recent vintage is plastic coated. The upper surface of such leather is ‘vinyl’.”

“Leather upholstery in most European cars is 'naked' leather which has no protective finish. The surface is that of the original hide. This leather 'breathes' and accepts conditioners applied to its surface.”

Dr. Jenkins explains how to tell the difference between “coated” and “naked" leather. Referring to coated leather he states, “Such leather can be identified by the failure of a drop of water applied to its surface to be absorbed into the leather after a few minutes.”

Contrasting the ability of naked leather to absorb conditioners (and water) with coated leather, Dr. Jenkins states: “While vinyl-coated leather is care free by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance.” Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather.

So, how should plastic coated leather be maintained? According to Dr. Jenkins, “Such leather should be maintained exactly like vinyl upholstery.”

Good info!
So my 2004 and 2008 Volvo's have uncoated or nakid leather? I think I'll keep using Lexol then and maybe give it a wipe down of 303 inbetween Lexol treatments.

I use both Lexol and 303 on my 2 1/2 year old Crossfire roadster's leather seats, particularly on the bolsters. Not sure if the leather is coated or naked, but it looks brand new.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Providing you have Euro uncoated leather it is, otherwise it's a waste of money!

You are saying 303 is good for uncoated leather?

I purchased 303 last year because of people talking it up on this site. I then sprayed it on my black grill cover. That grill cover is no longer black. It is light gray from sunlight exposure. It's not a slight fade, it's a horrible fade. I live in Fl and the grill cover is in sunlight daily. From that experience my feeling is that 303 is worthless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
I purchased 303 last year because of people talking it up on this site. I then sprayed it on my black grill cover. That grill cover is no longer black. It is light gray from sunlight exposure. It's not a slight fade, it's a horrible fade. I live in Fl and the grill cover is in sunlight daily. From that experience my feeling is that 303 is worthless.

I have found it works great on interior surfaces.I use it mainly for UV protection. Not so sure on exterior hard plastic surface. I have not noticed color change. However, it just does not seem to last very long when rainy.

BTW, I use other products on my leather seats such as Leatherique, duragloss leather cleaner and zanio leather cleaner.

Last edited:
303 is excellent on interior plastics and other surfaces that will not get wet. It will come off if it comes in contact with water, making it useless on the exterior.

Try putting some "NuVinyl" on it. Really good stuff for exterior trim in my experience.

http://www.nufinish.com/products_vinyl.html

Directly off the 303 bottle it states:

"303 aerospace protectant is the world's most effective UV screening product."

It goes on to state to use it on interior, exterior, leather, bumpers, trim, lenses, tonneau covers, vinyl soft tops ,etc.

303 is [censored]. Look at my picture of my grill cover. End of story. I will not use the remainder of the bottle on anything because I feel it actually made the cover worse. I'd rather use armorall or any other over the counter protectant.

DSCF1083.jpg

Last edited:
Directly off the 303 bottle it states:

"303 aerospace protectant is the world's most effective UV screening product."

It goes on to state to use it on interior, exterior, leather, bumpers, trim, lenses, tonneau covers, vinyl soft tops ,etc.

303 is [censored]. Look at my picture of my grill cover. End of story. I will not use the remainder of the bottle on anything because I feel it actually made the cover worse. I'd rather use armorall or any other over the counter protectant.

I have a large flat screen monitor and do not see what you are considering bad. However, I sort of agree that it is ineffective where it rains. It streaks and washes off.

Originally Posted By: Russell

I have a large flat screen monitor and do not see what you are considering bad. However, I sort of agree that it is ineffective where it rains. It streaks and washes off.

How in the world can you say 303 is doing anything on your flat screen monitor? I could wipe water on your monitor and it would probably show the same. I have a 50 inch rear projection tv that is 7 years old and took harsh evening sunlight. This RPJ tv shows no sign of yellowing, fading, cracking or anything and I never applied ANYTHING to it. Shall I post a pic?

303 is sold in marine stores. If it can't hold up in rain what good is it? I mean really, you might as well spray wd 40 on your stuff.

Originally Posted By: Russell

How in the world can you say 303 is doing anything on your flat screen monitor? I could wipe water on your monitor and it would probably show the same. I have a 50 inch rear projection tv that is 7 years old and took harsh evening sunlight. This RPJ tv shows no sign of yellowing, fading, cracking or anything and I never applied ANYTHING to it. Shall I post a pic?

303 is sold in marine stores. If it can't hold up in rain what good is it? I mean really, you might as well spray wd 40 on your stuff.

What are you tlaking about? I was just commenting that I could not see your grill cover degradation on my monitor??

Funny, you had talked about 303 on interior surfaces then I read it as though you had been applying to a monitor. LOL.

Not sure what you can't see in the pic. The cover was black. The sides now still have a good amount of black in them viewable in the pic and the front of the cover also has a rectangular section that is made out of black plastic web type material. The entire grill cover was the same blackness as the black plastic. The color fade IS NOT from rain/wash off otherwise the sides and back of the cover would show signs of this too.

As stated before... people on this forum talk up 303. For what reason I cannot say. Here's a true example of the product not working as it states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back