rotella T5 and T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been discussed but i never really saw an answer. I was reading the T5 and T6 MSDS sheets and at the very beginning it states

"COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Blend of polyolefins and additives.
Highly refined mineral oil.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346."

Dosent this mean that it has at least some % PAO, or am i reading it incorrectly?

The China Marts in our erea are still stacked full of the old 5W40 Tella. I'm talking CI-4+. It's doubtful they'll order new product with all of that laying around.

I'm still trying to figure out if T6 is the same oil that was in the old the CJ-4 synthetic bottles or if its totally new.

Everyone makes it sound like its a new formulation but if you go on Shell's website, all their claims for it are based vs. the old CI-4 version, not the CJ-4.

They tweaked the additive package a little but it's pretty close to the other/original CJ-4 product. The new also have some/but I do not know how much PAO in it.

Did the old have no PAO in it? And do you know what they tweaked about it? I know the CJ went to the lower Calcium/higher Magnesium like a lot of the oils are doing now.

Johnny,
The PAO that Shell is putting into the T6, do you know where it comes from? Does Shell make their own PAO like they do with their group 3 base oil? Or are they buying it from another source (Mobil?), and blending it in the final product?

They have the capability but not in large quantities. Since Shell and ExxonMobil are co-owners if the Infineum additive company, it would not surprise me at all if they are not purchasing it from ExxonMobil. That's one of those things we will never know.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes, it does have some. The major part of the T6 is Group III and the T5 blend is mainly Group II+ and Group III.

Correction on the above.

T6 is a blend of Group III and PAO.

T5 is a blend of Group II and PAO.

Before you ask, I do not know what percentage each group represents.

At the WM this afternoon. They must be rearranging the oil/filter section as it was all over 2 different aisles and it was mess to find stuff. Prices didn't match the shelf tags.

Scanned prices of:
Gallon jugs of T5 10W30 were $16.50
Gallon just of T6 5W30 were $19.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back