Pics of my 2K1 CCS w/ Euro Conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 2K1 Cadillac Catera SPORT, which now has been converted to a European OPEL OMEGA

The car is built on the european assembly and shipped on boats over here.

Asside from a few engineering changes for crash safety its one and the same vehicle.

Under the hood is a 3.0L V6 24V with 200hp factory, although it dynoed at 195RWHP with just mild exhaust.

Its quick on its feet but its no racer and wont beat anyone off the line, instead it uses looks to distract people.
Otherwise its a hooligan on the highway, the gearbox has some insane ratios that allow it to go from say 70-110 in just a few seconds, and thats where its most fun to drive it.
Although a bit thirsty, at 17/24 I average that in the summer in winter I get 15/21.

DSC04017.jpg

DSC04040.jpg

DSC03637.jpg

R8 LEDs
DSC03775.jpg

DSC03768.jpg

HID Output.
DSC03801.jpg

Nice ride. I always liked the Catera's - thought they were a great idea that just needed a bit more power. That car is going to become rare in the future, as they never sold well.

In 2001 they sold just over 1000 Sports and those came in 3 colors.
White, Black, Silver.

The silver one I have is 1 of 369 sold that year.

2002 sold 232 cars all together.

Looks sharp! I like the Opel badges on it. I see a lot of Cateras around here, and I've seen some for sale for really cheap because I heard they had a lot of issues... but I don't know if that's true or not.

97-99 was the first generation, those had quite a few random electrical issues, a oil cooler and a timing belt that had to be replaced early, ~40K.

Then the 99s were updated engine wise, same engine except now it got Drive By Wire Throtle, and Coil on Plug ignition, with a new intake manifold that made the torque even more broad.

The 97-98 were with detuned springs and shocks and sway bars s they can ride like a caddy.. then 99 Sport came with OEM OPEL shocks and struts which is how it should have been since day 1.

The 2000 got the 99 Sport suspension stock.. and then the Sport was also available for 2000-2001 and that was the true MV6 Sport suspension from the european Opel OMEGA MV6 Manual gearbox, with a 3.0L or 3.2L

My plan is to swap the CTS 3.2L in the future since I can find a new motor factory wrapped for 1000$.

New exhasut system with steel heders, and a few other things here/there and that car can easily crank 230-240hp.

As far as boost goes, its 10:1 compression so if anything maybe 2-4lbs of boost is max... although that will give it quite a stab at highway speeds it will be somewhat hard to do since the motor is so tightly fitted in there.

Maybe a remote twin turbo system with low boost and no intercooler will work.... Thats another research project that has hit dead end due to lack of cars, parts and people to mess with them.

Here it is... Sorry for the bad cell phone pic...
utf-8BSU1HMDA4NjQuanBn.jpg

This is how I keep my engines... here you can see a bit more detail. Its the same one found in the CTS except there its 0.2L Larger.
DSC07789.jpg

Wheels are stock on the european Opel Astra VXR. Also available as a summer performance package on the ASTRA XR here in the states.

Extreemly hard to find, but they do look stunning for OEM rims.

The ones on my car were bought from europe from OPEL.

I plan on sending the rear wheels to a local shop which can widen them to 9.5" for me, so I will be running 275 tires in the back and 235 front.

FR will be OEM 7.5, RR will be 9.5

Good looking ride, always liked the look of those.

Funny how some cars seem so well accepted by certain groups, but sales numbers clearly show why they're no longer being made.

Maybe it was because of the reputation the first few years had? I dont know.

The first major mistake was that they took a perfectly sporty sedan and ruined its suspension so that it may ride like a cadillac.

Then they deleted the manual tranny, that was their second error.

The suspensions slowly came back to the stock euro levels in 1999, and up to the top sport suspension in 2001.

The 2001 is almost the best car you can get, and if you are enthusiastic you can swap out the 3.2L from the CTS and a manual tranny from the european brother...

Having kept the MV6 with a Manual I think many BMW drivers may take a look at this car because it truly is a 5 series for the 3 series price.

I love mine and I plan on buying another one soon.

The European cars also looked better, and thus were more accepted by the younger crowds, where the US version was blunt and booring.

I never understood why they put the Cadillac badge on an Opel. It's one of those GM marketing things that doesn't make sense.

The holdens were just awesome, and i would kill to have one of them but for now the Catera is all I can afford.

I am planning to upgrade a 3.2L or a 2.0L Turbo SOLSTICE motor with a manual tranny swap.

Less weight and about 60hp more, and you got yourself a decent upgrade... jump up to 300hp and you got 50% more power and still less weight.

the most important aspect of the car is its build quality, being built in germany, the attention to detail is at top level.

The car has now 144K and still is as tight as when it had 60K.

So, is the "european" style front tag an acceptable substitute for a front tag as far as the State of Illinois is concerned?

The way that this state pitches a fit about having both front and back plates for "law enforcement purposes", I'm somewhat surprised.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
So, is the "european" style front tag an acceptable substitute for a front tag as far as the State of Illinois is concerned?

The way that this state pitches a fit about having both front and back plates for "law enforcement purposes", I'm somewhat surprised.

Well when I am visiting IL, I remove the plate or often drive with it on, havent been pulled over once.

I try to obey the laws when I am over there. When in MI, I drive with it on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back