Coolant patents are a good source of tech info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coolant patents are a good source of technical info about coolant. They are hard to read and present the product in the best light. If you read some of these coolant patents you get a sense they were focusing on metal corrosion protection, which the extended life coolants are good at, but not on gasket compatibility.

Here is the patent that appears to be for Prestone dexcool/extended life. In this excerpt it claims Havoline Dexcool uses sebacic acid. Isn't that what Japanese coolant uses lol? Sebacic acid=carboxylic acid=2-EHA I think:

Quote:
However, such organic acid formulations also suffer from a number of problems. For example, sebacic acid, which is used in several commercial antifreezes (e.g., Texaco's "Havoline" Extended Life AntiFreeze/Coolant; General Motors' "Dex-Cool" Anti-Freeze/Coolant; Canadian Tire's "Motomaster" Long Life and is currently used in the standard formulation set forth by the British Military (see Specification TS 10177, "Antifreeze, Inhibited Ethanediol, AL-39"), is more difficult to use commercially since it is commercially available as a solid, and as such requires heat to dissolve it in a heat transfer fluid. Also, sebacic acid is generally more expensive and difficult to obtain commercially since currently there is only one domestic industrial supplier (Union Camp Corporation). See SAE SP811, pp. 141-42. Also, sebacic acid and higher di-carboxylic acids, tend to have poor solubility in antifreeze formulations using hard water. See U.S. Pat. No. 4,578,205, col. 1, lines 52-64.

Prestone patent

That link also has some references to patents in regard to OATS going back to the early 80's. Lol they've been working on this OATs since then and still didn't get it right. It's some dry reading but you can gain some info from it.

Sebacic acid is NOT 2-EHA. Different chemicals. The main source of sebacic acid is China. If I remeber, sebacic acid is generated from castr beans and very little castor is grown here because castor beans are VERY toxic because of the presence of ricin. Sebacic acid is a long chain diacid (11 carbons if I remeber correctly) and therefore it will have solubility issues compared to other shorter chain acids. One carbon can make a significant solubility difference.

Well if you are a chemist come on board. You're right sebacic is not exactly the same structure as 2-EHA. What I should've said is sebacic is a carboxylate related to 2-EHA and while it may have different properties, they are both plasticizers.

Also Texaco Dexcool was considered the worst and the Prestone patent claimed that it contained sebacic acid. That was the main thing.

Sebacic acid is a C10, but being dibasic, it would be easier to disolve. It would not work well with hard water.

OK but let's not lose sight of the point that some Dexcool contain sebacic along with 2-EHA. Asian formula uses sebacic. Sebacic and 2-EHA are plasticizers. Maybe the phosphate in the asian formula helps protect silicone and plastic gaskets from the OAT lol?

Is the 2 EHA and sebacic acid in there to make something more flexible or as a corrosion inhibitor?

2 Ethyl Hexanol esters are commonly used as plasticizers and esters of sebacic could be, but it wasn't common in the past.

Originally Posted By: labman
Is the 2 EHA and sebacic acid in there to make something more flexible or as a corrosion inhibitor?

2 Ethyl Hexanol esters are commonly used as plasticizers and esters of sebacic could be, but it wasn't common in the past.

I would say absolutely they are not to make things flexible. They are intended to be long-lived corrosion inhibitors which they do well at. The problem is 2-EHA has been known to sludge if air gets into the cooling sytem and be agressive with platic and gasket materials. Both 2-EHA and sebacic seem to be plasticizer and have the potential to deteriotate some gaskets over time.

Originally Posted By: labman

Two part answer, and you hit on part of it:

1) those organic acids are the corrosion inhibitors.
2) They're in there instead of other organic acids with better polymer compatibility because they're CHEAP. I don't know about sebacic acid, but 2-EHA is a byproduct of some other chemical manufacturing processes. Basically its someone else's waste, so it would be hard to think of a cheaper alternative unless someone discovers that sewage sludge works as a corrosion inhibitor
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back