Sparkplug Cross Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for Astra plugs at the two local parts places I use and got a hit only on the Autoline products, the 5224.
XP5224_030207.jpg

Well, that seemed odd, so I dug into the cross reference and it seems there are a LOT of options from all the brands for a lot of different vehicles. Some of these plugs the stores have, but don't list. Kind of wierd, not what I am used to.

http://www.autolitecatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=A&pn=XP5224

So, does anyone have any suggestions for the Ecotec 1.8 VVT? I have the Autolite Ir ordered, but I suspect they are not the best. I suppose these are all different heat ranges..?

Heat Range Chart Location G11
Hex 5/8"
Reach 3/4"
Resistor/Non-Resistor/Suppressor Suppressor
Seat Gasket
Thread Diameter 14MM
Tip Special Power

Competitors

BOSCH 4312
BOSCH 4419
BOSCH 4512
BOSCH FGR9DDP
BOSCH FGR9DPQ
BOSCH FGR9DQI
BOSCH FR7KPP332
CHAMPION 9002
CHAMPION 9202
CHAMPION 9203
DENSO 3377
DENSO 3396
DENSO SK20DR-M11
DENSO SK22PR-M11S
DENSO SKJ16CR-L11
DENSO SKJ16DR-M11
DENSO SKJ20BR-M11
DENSO SKJ20DR-M11
DENSO SKJ20DR-M11S
DENSO SKJ20DR-M13
NGK 2477
NGK 3657
NGK 4080
NGK 4095
NGK 4757
NGK 5114
NGK 5887
NGK 5899
NGK 6441
NGK 6737
NGK 6994
NGK 7743
NGK 7746
NGK IFR7G-11K
NGK IFR7G-11KS
NGK IFR7L11
NGK IZFR5B
NGK IZFR5G
NGK IZFR5J
NGK IZFR5K
NGK IZFR5K11
NGK IZFR5L-11
NGK IZFR6F11
NGK IZFR6H-11
NGK IZFR6K
NGK IZFR6K-11
NGK IZFR6K-11S
NGK IZFR6K-13
NGK IZFR6N-E
NGK PZFR5J-11
NGK PZFR5Q-11
NGK ZFR5FIX-11
NGK ZFR6FIX-11

Wow, even sparkplugs.com agrees with you. Usually I can find any cross reference there.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1442051

Only the Autolites and the pulstars and e3's are spec'd for your vehicle. Don't use the E3's, i've had bad luck with misfiring, and fouling up within 40km.

The Autolite 5224 is the OEM equivalent.

Heres a list of approximate cross references for the 5224:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cross....nCrossWarning=1

Champion RC12YC might work, as its close, but doesn't match the OEM specifications. Its odd, thats what Briggs OHV intek motors use.

Last edited:
I have used the Autolite Iridums and I liked them. I know some people believe certain plugs are better in certain engines. Myself never having a vehicle and not knowing anyone with the Ecotec 1.8 I do not have a recommendation. But I am surprised as well that only one plug came up.

It seems use extended tip spark plug, this is common for Japanese car sold in Asia but not in US.
So I think the best bet is
CHAMPION 9202
DENSO SKJ16CR-L11
NGK ZFR5FIX-11

Beside the extended projected tip, the other part need to be examined is whether the shroud length is also extended.
If yes, then the best option may be different from above.
However, even you can find the exact model for NGK and Denso, it may be very difficult to find it in the US
33.gif

Actually those Autolite Iridium XP's are a great plug. I've used them in 3 friends vehicles so far with great results. I put them in a 2005 CTS, 2007 Equinox and a 2000 Trans Am.

The Autolite center electrode is not lasting as other Iridium plug, and a lot of time autolite heat range is about half-range hotter than NGK for the same range.
However the build quality is good and I guess the ceramic part is better than Champion that is easily cracked.

Denso make a strong plug. Used K20pru-11 in subaru with MUCH better performance than NGK. The NGK iR work well in my yaris - though I havent pulled them since gas quality is atrocious and they wont read correct anyhow. I typ dont like Pt plugs, I find std copper core Champs and bosch work well. Be careful with the champ if you have a 1mm+/- gap to get the #4 on the end of the part number(for 40mil) OTW you will get a narrow gap and the gnd electrode doesnt like being heeled back to make the 40mils gap - makes a sprk near the GND wire bend which is a high quench zone. (why do I give all my tune trick out for free?!)

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Denso make a strong plug. Used K20pru-11 in subaru with MUCH better performance than NGK.

Did you compare the DENSO with standard NGK (BKR6ES-11) or the NGK V-Power with split center electrode (BKR6EY-11/BKR6E-11) ?

NGK is about 1/3 range colder than Denso for the same range of plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Denso make a strong plug. Used K20pru-11 in subaru with MUCH better performance than NGK.

Did you compare the DENSO with standard NGK (BKR6ES-11) or the NGK V-Power with split center electrode (BKR6EY-11/BKR6E-11) ?

I have found the US made NGK v-power to be 1/2 heat range hotter than the equivalent xxxES standard gap japan made NGK - and not good performers over champ or autolite.I always had excessive grnd strap erosion on std ngk with short service life v. a denso or other brand on mazda and subaru engines.

... ...

on what application did you see this effect, and how did you gauge the 1/3 heatrange differential?

Years ago, I worked for the Nippondenso warehouse distributor in St Louis. The Denso rep told our countermen to look up each vehicle application in the ND catalog rather than use cross references. Plugs that cross reference, he said, do not always match. I would suggest looking up your car in the ND catalog and using the plug recommended. My experience tells me that ND plugs are a very good choice.

... ...

on what application did you see this effect, and how did you gauge the 1/3 heatrange differential?

Normally I observed on small Japanese engine, like Toyota, Suzuki, Honda. The 1/3 heat range is not exact but that normally that what I saw from the spark plug tip color for the same gap and plug range, eg. K20PR vs BKR6ES, IK20 vs BKR6EIX.

The V-Power has much better combustion compared than standard NGK, so it may show hotter, and ignition quality wise this is the one should be compared with standard DENSO (same split electrode, just one at ground the other at center electrode).
But I would agree that DENSO might have better response due to smaller split/U electrode on the ground side

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Autolites are very good.
First choice is a mfrs standard plug, but Autolites are high quality.

I agree. They're very good value.

Imma chime back in after I get them installed. Car only has 4500 miles. oem plugs are plain....whatever, with a 30k change interval. It could be five years until it hits 30k, so I'll burn the $20 to see how upgraded plugs are.

Meanwhile, at 45k, I'm itching to clean the Accord pl;ugs and inspect them, since I used 2c oil in the gas since day one. The CRV plugs came out clean after 30k or so on 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back