So K&N Air Filters are bad??? (NOOB Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I Not be using one of these? I have one of their panel style filters for my Mazda. If they're something I should'nt be using I guess I can put the OEM style back in.
21.gif

They aren't the best and you don't really gain performance by simply dropping in a panel filter. On some vehicles (or owners) they get oil on the MAF. Need more than three strikes?

If you drive desert dirt roads behind 18 wheelers..I wouldnt use it.If you live like most of us metro /urban /even suburban,youre
fine.Just oil it well,clean it as directed.I did mine every 3 mos,regardless.

They are perfectly fine. I have seen UOAs on here with a K&N filter that had very low silicon which people like to say does not happen with a K&N filter. The oil on MAF is not the filters fault but the person oiling it.

You probably don't gain any performance, but they last as long as the car. They also don't damage your engine if used properly.

I decided to put the OEM filter back in. I initially put the K&N in because the filters for my Mazda ran between $21-$25 bucks, so a one time $45.99 fee seemed better in the long run. Not to mention I had a $23 credit at the local auto parts store. I wasn't really expecting anything horsepower-wise, hopefully smoother throttle response, didn't happen though. So I guess I'll stick with "cleaner airflow". Thanks for the responses.

I've run K&Ns in my last 6 vehicles and never run less than 400,000 km on a filter. My present 2003 Corolla has 460,000 km on it and has had a K&N since new. No problems, no issues.
Would I run one where there are sandstorms......probably not.
Will I continue to run them in my vehicles in the future - Definitely.

Originally Posted By: DC_Stewart
I've run K&Ns in my last 6 vehicles and never run less than 400,000 km on a filter. My present 2003 Corolla has 460,000 km on it and has had a K&N since new. No problems, no issues.
Would I run one where there are sandstorms......probably not.
Will I continue to run them in my vehicles in the future - Definitely.

I used a K&N air filter on my 2003 corolla as well and I ended up replacing the MAF sensor because it was completely covered in oil. The sensor cost $160 which wasn't cheap at all.

There are other filters on the market that are oil-less and just as good.

Look at the Amsoil EAA air filter. They are dry filters and are good for 100,000 miles and are cleanable with a vacume or shop air. They filter much better than the gauze type filters with very good flow.

You mention K&N around here and it's like saying you use a Fram oil filter.

I'll keep using K&N, just like I have for the last 15 years.

been using them for a long time on my pickups. I wont use them on things I offroad, like my jeep. But my Sierra has had one since new. My pontiac had one, my silverado has one, my parents silverado has one.

I've used K&N air filters in the past, but really noticed no difference in performance or mileage. Maybe if you are pushing your vehicle hard performance-wise, such as in racing, the power gains would be noticable. Also, maybe those who had MAF sensors go bad after installing K&N air filters simply over oiled the filter element. It's easy to do.
For me personally, I'll stick with paper filters on my vehicles.

K&N isn't a bad filter, it's just subject to how well the owner cares for it.

But it's also very old news. The new dry filters are excellent and have none of the drawbacks.

I see one of their ads on a web page that says 96% to 99% efficiency. (I've seen tests where it was more like 85%.)

That would be 96% when first cleaned, building to 99% as it clogs up. Note how many extra grams of dirt that 96% is:
eficiencia_buena.jpg

I didn't read most of the thread but the owner of an RX8 race team told us they use the factory Mazda Air Filter because when running the K&N at some of the dirtier tracks they actually had sand and dirt build up in the oil pan after the race. I then read [censored] near the same statement from another KONI challenge crew member and it was enough for me to ditch mine.

K&N are one of the best marketing companies around, and that alone should make any sensible person wary. As for their air filters - well, they seem to work OK and not cause too much damage if you oil them correctly, and you might even save money in the long run - provided your time is worth absolutely nothing.

Purely from a technical point of view I wouldn't use one on any vehicle that cost me a lot of money.

I was at the track one day and observed them on the lead car when I was in the pits between races. Each lap he burned more and more oil, and then finally gave out before the last climb on the last lap.
Driver got out and kicked the car and pounded on the hood.

I have purchased brand new K&N filters that were over oiled out of the box. The oil would spray all over the maf sensor, causing a lean condition, and a check engine light.

I took the sensor apart, and cleaned the oil off with contact cleaner.

By the way, I never noticed any performance increase, gas mileage, nothing by going to one of those filters.

Right now I'm running cheapo STP paper filters, and I like them just fine. They are 7 dollars each, and I throw them away every year.

The average K&N filter is around 35, plus you need to buy their cleaning kit with the oil.

Add it up, you are pre-paying for several years of paper filters.

Maybe they do just fine on carb vehicles, but I would not use them on mass air cars (most everything made after 1994 or so)..

They buy a ton of Ads on television, and their marketing is working great for them, but for most of the population, it is a part that they don't need.

Similar to those FIPK cold air kits that they sell for 200 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back