2004 Grand Prix GTP. 2,800mi. 5w-30Valv.Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Just got my first report from blackstone back yesterday. The report says 5w-20 but I actually used 5x-30 Valvonline Synpower with the new AC Delco "E-core" filter (won't be using that filter again, it seems cheap).

Anyway, I had a pretty bad front valve cover leak during almost this entire interval (2,800miles). That was fixed about 350miles before the change. Dealer did not change my oil when they fixed the front valve cover.

aaannnnddd theres coolant in my oil
frown.gif

Thankfully, i still have 10K left on the extended warranty!

Blackstone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the series III 3800 was supposed to be fixed! Upgraded metal framed gaskets.

GM should start designing air cooled engines for pete sake...

Yea i know, its dissapointing. I love my car but can't stand GM anymore. If you buy a 3x00 motor theres pretty much a 50% chance that its gonna need a new LIM sometime in its life. Plus my car is an early early 2004 so there is a good chance it didn't get the upgraded gaskets.

Does the 0.74% signify a major leak? I'm just wondering if this is something I should jump on right away or I can wait another few thousand miles when I have more time in my schedule and not have it be detrimental to my engine.

Last edited:
GM introduced new lower intake gaskets in 09.Once these things begin to leak it can get worse quickly.IMO repair it ASAP or park it up until you have the time,bearings take a beating with even a small amount of coolant.

Once its apart it would be a great opportunity to convert to old green or G05 coolant.Other than the intake gasket issue its a nice car with a great engine,no reason to sell it if everything else is up to snuff.

Jump on it right away and get it fixed. Coolant leaks are not something you want to wait on. You're going to have a hard enough time convincing GM to fix this, if they ever do!

Originally Posted By: daman
Wow a 5w20 in a 3800 SC? I'm surprised you don't have higher copper.

No, type o. 5w30.

-------------
back to the OP. Lower gaskets aren't a reason to condem a car or engine. I will take a 3800 over any engine anyday.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Fix it ,sell it, and purchase a japanese car and never look back.
I tried that once with a Honda. The engine was shot after 10,000 miles. japanese is not always the answer. And Honda did not honor the warrenty.

Last edited:
What is it with Blackstone not even getting the viscosity grade correct? It seems like I've read a half dozen this week, "Blackstone says it was this, but it was really this..."

Originally Posted By: Midwestspecial
Yea i know, its dissapointing. I love my car but can't stand GM anymore. If you buy a 3x00 motor theres pretty much a 50% chance that its gonna need a new LIM sometime in its life. Plus my car is an early early 2004 so there is a good chance it didn't get the upgraded gaskets.

Does the 0.74% signify a major leak? I'm just wondering if this is something I should jump on right away or I can wait another few thousand miles when I have more time in my schedule and not have it be detrimental to my engine.

any kind of coolant leak is a major leak. Get yourself a chilton book and some fel-pro problem solver gaskets and flush that dex-cool out and switch to a old fasioned green. The LIM is not a hard fix if your mechanical and have a basic set of tools.

I will be bringing it into the shop next week then. If they won't fix it then I'll do it with a friend of mine. The cars only got 61,000 miles on it now. Thanks for the replies also.

Originally Posted By: Trav
GM introduced new lower intake gaskets in 09.Once these things begin to leak it can get worse quickly.IMO repair it ASAP or park it up until you have the time,bearings take a beating with even a small amount of coolant.

Once its apart it would be a great opportunity to convert to old green or G05 coolant.Other than the intake gasket issue its a nice car with a great engine,no reason to sell it if everything else is up to snuff.

Aluminum lower intake gaskets were factory on 2006 through 2008 3800 engines.

I'll agree with the above otherwise, though. The Grand Prix is a fantastic car that should last you a LOOOONG time. I've loved both of mine...should have bought another one instead of the Accord. :-(

Ah well.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I always wanted one, I always thought it was the best looking car GM had to offer.

They're fun to modify, too.

High-mid 13's @ 100-102 are really easy to get to with pretty basic bolt-ons and tuning.

Beyond that it's probably kind of a waste unless you're a Grand Prix nutcase like me. Then it's totally worth it. :p

Oh shes got CAI, 3" downpipe, 3.6pulley, front powerlog and a tune. going for headers and 3.5pulley in the spring. if i end up doing this LIM myself I might drop in rockers while im at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back