Amsoil SSO 0w-30, 8,082mi, 05 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
vehicle-----------------05 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L, 6 cyl
OIL---------------------Amsoil SSO 0w-30
oil additive------------3 ounces Auto-RX & recently, 4 oz LC20 over last 1600 miles
Make up oil-----------none
Engine oil capacity---5.5 quarts
oil filter----------------Amsoil EAO57
air filter----------------Amsoil EAA
miles on oil------------8082 (apprx 19 months--5/9/08 thru 12/18/09)
Miles on filter---------9,237 (25 months)
miles on vehicle--------32,093

UOA by Oil Analyzers: Data flagged for observation only; Total Base Number is MODERATELY LOW; Oil is suitable for continued use. Re-sample in 3,500 miles or 65 hours.
Overall severity of report--------2 (abnormal)

LAB COMMENTS:

WEAR METALS in PPM:
iron--------------------11
chromium-------------0
nickel------------------1
aluminum-------------2
copper-----------------2
lead--------------------2
tin----------------------0
cadmium--------------0
silver-------------------0
vanadium-------------0
CONTAMINANT METALS:
silicon-----------------12
sodium----------------6
potassium-------------1
MULTI-SOURCE METALS:
titanium---------------0
molybdenum---------4
Antimony-------------0
Manganese-----------0
Lithium---------------0
boron------------------11
ADDITIVE METALS:
magnesium-----------14
calcium----------------3145
barium-----------------1
phosphorus------------601
zinc---------------------712
Lube change-----------no
Lube filter change----no
fuel---------------------1.4%
Soot Water visc40------------------n/a
visc100----------------9.7
TAN--------------------n/a
TBN--------------------3.71
oxidation--------------39
nitration---------------29

NOTES/COMMENTS:
Fuel dilution is only issue I see. None noted in previous samples. Sample was taken almost immediately after apprx 55 mile mostly highway trip. Only change in driving style is warm up time of around 2+ minutes as opposed to previous 20-30 seconds max. Getting best winter mpg to date--around 24 mpg with winter blend premium gas (truck EPA rated 17-21 mpg). Plugs changed appx 3,000 miles ago to Denso long life Iridium. Aprx 65/35 highway/city driving using mostly feather foot. As with prior samples w/no fuel dilution, this sample includes many short 11 mile trips.
Compared to previous samples, PPPM of lead up, copper down, aluminum down, silicon down.
LC20 recently added due to expected thickening w/Auto-RX & 100% synthetic oil combo. Apparently thickening is a non-issue in this instance.
Plan to change oil/filter in 1-2 years, then SSO. Don’t know if I’ll use Auto-RX or LC20 next change. Don’t plan to continue mixing additives.

PREVIOUS UOA’s:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1028981

I was surprised by the TBN for the mileage, and then I read your duration. Looks like a solid choice all around for maximizing your dollar for the low mileage this truck sees. I'm guessing 2-year intervals would be just fine for everything involved at this rate.

Wow, thats a great report considering the time on the interval.

Probably one of the undisputed champs of long drain oils.

THAT is exactly how you get your moneys worth out of Amsoil products.

Nice report.

Congratulations on a great report!

Wear iron is actually lower than indicated. When you go that long, repeated moisture exposure oxidizes steel parts that aren't even a wear surface. This is very good corrosion resistance for a synthetic and indicates a higher ester concentration than one typically associates with a synthetic. I doubt that you can get better results than that. Do you always add cleaner to the oil? Esters are fantastic cleaners by themselves, and Amsoil adds several more detergents/dispersants which guarantee a clean engine.

I wouldn't use any cleaners with this great oil. You can't clean this engine any more than it already is.

Originally Posted By: dave123
24 mpg? not heard of in a 4.0L

Yes & I get better mpg in the warmer months with: Michelin low rolling resistance tires at 35 psi; shell 93 octane/FP Plus; topper; driving style; Amsoil 100% synthetic in differentials/transfer case/power steering; Amsoil EAA air filter. It’s 4WD with Auto transmission.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
Congratulations on a great report!

Do you always add cleaner to the oil? Esters are fantastic cleaners by themselves, and Amsoil adds several more detergents/dispersants which guarantee a clean engine.

If I recall correctly, this is 2nd time I’ve used Auto-RX. I’ve used a little LC20 previously. This is longest run yet. All prior changes were with synthetic oil. Interior engine parts still bright & shiny as expected. Shortly after first Auto-RX install, one morning after truck had been sitting up overnight or up to a week, I observed a cloud of blue smoke from exhaust upon cranking engine. I assumed it had cleaned a little around the valve stem seals.

Yota4 me,

My 96 Merc GM had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it in Aug. Through the oil fill hole the head looked new, and that was on 10,000 mile OCIs with M1. You only mess up the oil in a negitive way putting that stuff in with a classy oil like Amsoil. I know XM says not to put any additive in with their oil and I'm quite sure Amsoil would say the same.

Excellent! I've seen some UOA's that make me question the 1/yr rule. Some guy with a Porsche had a 2 year sample. I guess it can be done.

Great oil choice btw.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Yota4 me,

My 96 Merc GM had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it in Aug. Through the oil fill hole the head looked new, and that was on 10,000 mile OCIs with M1. You only mess up the oil in a negitive way putting that stuff in with a classy oil like Amsoil. I know XM says not to put any additive in with their oil and I'm quite sure Amsoil would say the same.

No oil company wants to see any additives added to their oil. They all feel their products are the best and capable of taking care of all the necessary aspects oil is supposed to take care of. The problem arises when people follow mfg suggestions and find their engines are dirty, or burning oil, then they turn to additives. Others are trying to avoid a problem that they had in the past, or maybe a friend had. JMO

3 0nces of AUto-Rx will not thicken anything. Amsoil is well known to thicken out of grade with most of their oils. This does not seem to be an issue with this OCI though. I wounder howmuch impact the LC20 had onthe total viscosity???? 4 onces is not much so not likely to have had much impact.

This is the best long duration not milage UOA I have seen on a Toyota. THen again this engine is much different then the V8's too. I would love to see a 19 month UOA on a TUndra V8 that looked this good. Many of them go south after 9 months of use no mater the miles?

For the time in service it looks good based on miles though I would not be impressed.I do not like to see nickle in a UOA especialy in 8000 miles with silicone numbers as low as yours are. I am just glad it was not nickle,cromium and tin together.

I think it looks good and would keep the same routine.

If things change, re-evaluate and go from there.

I knew JB would doo-doo on this
43.gif
43.gif

Hard for me to comprehend this much fuel in oil with this kind of mpg. Going back to to max 20-30 second warm-ups, like I was doing up til very recently.

Amsoil recommends not adding additives to their oils and if one decides to use additives they also recommending going by the manufacturer OCI.

I am thinking ARX hurt the TBN but that is just a guess. I mean we really aren't looking at only SSO but your mixing experiment seems to be working well
wink.gif

I agree the additives aren’t necessary and it is an experiment. In this instance, I don’t see any harmful effects from either the Auto-RX or LC20. LC20/FP Plus/FP60 is a cleaner, lubricant and turns carbon into a colloidal graphite lubricant. LC20 dissipates after 1,000--1,500 miles. As I recall, Terry had nothing but good things to say about these additives. For future oil changes with Amsoil SSO in this engine, I’ll probably just use LC20 only occasionally.

That is not true at all. I always get better fuel ecconomy then the EPA rating. When my Dodge Dakota quad Cab 4x4 was new and I drove it like I had a glass egg under the accelerator pedal and used cruise on the HWY I topped out with 21-23 MPG depending on the fuel I used. Once I started to drive it agressively I never got more then 19 in it.......My Dak had a 4.7 V8.

Same thing with my Camry when I had to drive through Ohio I got fuel economy that was on par with a Carolla I was around the 43MPG ark because the speed limit in Ohio where Ihad to go through was mostly 50MPH and the cops where as thick as flies on a cattle ranch! On the rest of the trip I avered 38-39MPG which is still far better then the EPA says I should get. Doing my mix though of city/hwy and having to run defrost all winter drops me down to the 29MPG range which is lower then EPA. Fuel ecconomy is affected by head winds, drafting,speed,quality of the fuel,formula used for the fuel, oil viscosity,oil additives in all fluids including the transmission etc.......LEt us not forget that how we drive has a huge impact. My Mom drives like theiris a egg under her foot all the time I do not and that makes all the difference int he world.

In fact look at the old 4.7 that TOyota is phasing out compared to the it's bigest truck V8. The bigger and drasticly more powerful V8 get 1-2MPG's beter due to the transmission difference and gearing then does a much less power engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back