New Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
I find it "convenient" that Shell compares T6 to the CI-4+ flavor of RTS and not the CJ-4 flavor. I'm betting T6 would not look as improved if compared to their own CJ-4 RTS.

That's undoubtedly true. My personal opinion is they just relabeled it. I find all the excitement about this "new" product a bit...unusual.
If someone is going to be excited about their new line, what about the semisynthetic T5 line? At least that is truly new, at least in North America. They've been selling that base oil under the "Rimula Ultra" and now "Rimula R5 &R6" labels outside N. America for years, in 10W40. With slightly different additive packscompared to T5.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: BobFout
I find it "convenient" that Shell compares T6 to the CI-4+ flavor of RTS and not the CJ-4 flavor. I'm betting T6 would not look as improved if compared to their own CJ-4 RTS.

That's undoubtedly true. My personal opinion is they just relabeled it. I find all the excitement about this "new" product a bit...unusual.
If someone is going to be excited about their new line, what about the semisynthetic T5 line? At least that is truly new, at least in North America. They've been selling that base oil under the "Rimula Ultra" and now "Rimula R5 &R6" labels outside N. America for years, in 10W40. With slightly different additive packscompared to T5.

Charlie

From what I understand the basestock is now a class IV oil instead of III which is a big deal for those who want to use it as an extended drain oil in a gasoline engine. I think that we will see a thinner oil with better extended OCI performance and I think that will take care of the one complaint you hear about the rotella T.

Last edited:
I can state with certainty that it is not Group IV/PAO. The two main things that changed with the T6 Vs the other CJ4 version is 1) the viscosity index improver (it's more shear stable) and 2) the label on the jug.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I can state with certainty that it is not Group IV/PAO. The two main things that changed with the T6 Vs the other CJ4 version is 1) the viscosity index improver (it's more shear stable) and 2) the label on the jug.

Did you talk to one of your old contacts?

Has anyone found a retailer or distributor that has the T5 10W-30? I'm itching to try it.

No hurry, though. My OCI is up in August!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Yes I did.

I tried to get some of the T5 the day before yesterday at our local Shell distributor. They didn't have it yet. The manager came out when he heard me ask for it and said that Shell was a bit behind, and that they were expecting it mid January.

Ed

Yes I did.

That's going to disappoint a lot of people who have been lead to believe it now uses a PAO base stock.

Isn't the other major change are less additives?

That's going to disappoint a lot of people who have been lead to believe it now uses a PAO base stock.

Are the other alternatives that are Group IV/PAO within a similar price range?

Originally Posted By: snakyjake

Delvac 1?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Delvac 1?

Did you find Delvac 1 in a similar price range?
What is the price? Where?

Isn't the other major change are less additives?

No. Same additives at the previous CJ4 product but with a better viscosity index improver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back