Motorkote oil additive

I have destroyed two camshafts with high anti-wear additive levels over 20,000 miles. Don't do it!!!!! I wish I could erase the thought from your memory somehow. Mark my words. Do not use oil additives!

None of us can home-brew better motor oil than the oil company chemists can produce to meet any certain price point. Take the cost of ordinary oil plus the magic elixir that you're considering and use that total amount to buy better oil instead. Your engine will thank you years from now.

Ken2, how do you know that the oil companies are giving you the best?
I think you should ask yourself if you honestly believe that the oil companies want to do any good to anything, except their own wallet.
If you believe they do, well then I guess you are living in your own dreamworld.

On the other hand, being skeptical about "snake-oil" sellers, is just healthy, but saying all of them are the same, is just plain stupid, but is very easy to do if you don't have any knowledge.

The problem is to have enough knowledge to make sound thoughts, about what is physical possible, and what is not.

Just my 2 cents.

Seeling OTC oil additives in truckstops doesn't mean anything to ordinary motoring joes for (a)owners of truckstops only care for their bottomline profits and not into whether the OTC additives are effective as they promised or not; (b)most OTC additives of all sorts, with the known FI cleaners such as Regaine, etc. all others are pretty weak or of no benefits but to make your wallet lighter as a result.

Most of these OTC additives harvest seller's FUD and also placebo effects and nothing gets done but psycological effects indeed.

As much as most "self-righteous" posters on the board about avg. joes/small additives companies vs major "evil" oil companies and also the capitalistic profits and such, major oil companies have something that smaller companies don't and that is gigantic R&D capability and testing facilities to make their product compliant to manufacturer and satisfy their needs.

Q.

Jonny,
I'm saying that for competitive reasons the oil companies put out the best product at a certain price point. Would I rather have SuperTech oil plus Motorkote, or for about the same total price Mobil 1, or Royal Purple, or any other premium oil??? I'd choose the premium oil.

crackmeup2.gif
I love the responses.

Ken2,
I would have chosen the RP AND the Motorkote(at least one time, to see what it's all about).

This is an additive that I would like to hear about, after being BITOG-tested by a BITOGER.

If testing is positive, great, and something to consider.

If negative, then it's not worth thinking of it, anymore.

Courier Driver, how much was the MotorKote and what size bottle did it come in?...If I saw a bottle of MotorKote on a discount table for a dollar, I might try it! I recently bought a bunch of $1.00 items at PepBoys on a discount table. One of the items was Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment(VSOT). Prior to that, I bought some Street Legal Oil Boost(SLOB) for a dollar at BigLots. Both the VSOT & SLOB were at one time held in high reguard here at BITOG. I know that most of these products are snake oil but for a buck, I'll try it! I wouldn't spend $15, $20 or $30 dollars/bottle for it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Courier Driver, how much was the MotorKote and what size bottle did it come in?...If I saw a bottle of MotorKote on a discount table for a dollar, I might try it! I recently bought a bunch of $1.00 items at PepBoys on a discount table. One of the items was Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment(VSOT). Prior to that, I bought some Street Legal Oil Boost(SLOB) for a dollar at BigLots. Both the VSOT & SLOB were at one time held in high reguard here at BITOG. I know that most of these products are snake oil but for a buck, I'll try it! I wouldn't spend $15, $20 or $30 dollars/bottle for it.

Actually VSOT is pretty good, and I'm no fan of Valvoline products. Just curious how long ago did you buy it for $1/bottle? I loaded up on it a few years back for $1.49/bottle IIRC.

While I like what I see with Motorkote on the Timken bearing tester I don't use it much any more because differences, if there were any, were too hard to observe.

I don't run fleets of test and control engines to see if MK can extend engine service life.

I don't run engines out of oil often enough to see if MK can preserve dry bearing surfaces.

I don't monitor oil temperatures to see if MK lowers it.

So I risk breaking the bearing tester before I risk breaking the oil film. What does that get me when engines already last as long as they do?

Given the unsubstantiated rumor that MK is a chlorine based lubricant that is sensitive to heat and contaminants I use it in low heat low contaminate areas. I still use MK in axle grease, differentials, compressor crankcases, and manual transmissions. Manual transmissions are the only place where I've seen a substantial improvement using MK. Pushing through the synchros is much smoother.

Due to problems I no longer use MK in automatic transmissions.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Actually VSOT is pretty good, and I'm no fan of Valvoline products. Just curious how long ago did you buy it for $1/bottle? I loaded up on it a few years back for $1.49/bottle IIRC.

Probably longer ago than I realize(a year ago or so) but, the VSOT was purchaced in June 09

Motorkote is 29 bucks a qt at truckstops and 20 bucks for 10 oz at Meyers stores up north. Add 10 oz to a 5 qt engine. You can find it at the Flying J trkstops and the TA travel centers

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Motorkote is 29 bucks a qt at truckstops and 20 bucks for 10 oz at Meyers stores up north. Add 10 oz to a 5 qt engine. You can find it at the Flying J trkstops and the TA travel centers

If a person had the intention of buying the stuff, go online. I did a search and found pricing substantially less than what the truckstops want for it. But then truckstops will charge you almost $3 for a gallon of drinking water you can get at Wally World for $.75 or less. Truck stops charge, at a minimum, the suggested retail price.

I had a massive Cummins engine failure due to Motorkote oil additive. Warrantee relief was denied by Cummins and Amsoil. In depth tests confirmed an additive, Motorkote. It is a CHLORINE based additive that is extremely harmful to an engine. A separate test (Chlorine content, bomb method, ASTM D808) done on a virgin sample of Motorkote confirmed over 28% CHLORINE content!!!!!

I have proof of tests upon request with return email address.

Last edited:
Wow! That sucks, what did the Motorkote people say when they were informed that Amsoil and Cummins pointed the finger of blame at them?

Back