SOOT 18, 39
OXI 20, 29
NIT 9, 14
SUL 21, 36
PERCENT FUEL CONTENT ON 2ND ANALYSIS 1.83
V100 15.5, 14.7
PQI 8, 8

THIS IS FROM CAT LABS.

after the first analysis I did a auto-rx clean and every oil change since had 3 oz of auto-rx added (oil change every 10k)

cat says that iron levels are trending upwards and elevated. Al and Si levels have improved, still high. they say to monitor compartment and resample in 1000 miles

Last edited:
i think the auto-rx might still be cleaning so I might do another clean and rinse and start using a more robust oil like amsoil DEo 5w40 and see what happens.

this car is stock and gets 45 mpg on a bad day. It may see some untaxed fuel here and there when it's not on the road of course.

optilube summer and xpd additive was used I will start using only FP60 or FPplus and see what happens

Last edited:
Those wear numbers are way out there! What the heck happened to that motor?

Check your airbox for leaks too.

Shell 5w40 is very robust oil for the ALH 1.9L TDI if you're doing only 10K miles.

Be sure to use the FP+ for diesels.
Those iron numbers seem high for an engine that has just broken in. When you finish the auto-rx procedure, you could pull the valve cover and check the cam and followers for wear or damage. If a previous owner used a 5-30 or Mobil 1 like my local VW dealer, there may be an explanation you could readily solve.

Chi, using a Mobil 1 oil doesn't guarantee it's the wrong oil, there are two Mobil 1 branded oils that's are good for VEs, 0w40 and 5w40, and Mobil's Delvac 1 5w40 is another great one.

don't say that!
this is my shoeing rig!

i will try another autorx cycle and go from there.

air filter was just changed and i will monitor from here.

last i looked, the cam had a bit of wear but the tdi guru who did the timing belt said just to monitor it.

FYI i am a diesel mechanic and not an unsharp cookie... busy deer hunting right now but I will take care of this motor and work to make it last.

fyi the timing belt change wasn't much, once i get the parts I'll be doing my own.

Stop using AutoRX and run some good oil like M1 0W-40. Check the archive for my UOA on this same engine, same year. My UOA on my home brew shows 19 FE for 20K miles on Royal-Purple/Redline blend. Even with Lucas/Redline blend I am showing only 16 FE for 10K. I am 7K miles into a 20K OCI with LiquiMoly/Redline blend. At 197K miles, my engine purrs like a kitten and has never seen AutoRX.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
I'd duck about now...

That's a good one.
lol.gif
lol.gif

BTW - You're reco on replacing an IAC in an Avalon having sporadic symptoms was spot on.
Good to see you posting. Thanks

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Chi, using a Mobil 1 oil doesn't guarantee it's the wrong oil, there are two Mobil 1 branded oils that's are good for VEs, 0w40 and 5w40, and Mobil's Delvac 1 5w40 is another great one.

Bob - you are absolutely correct, I wasn't as clear and specific as I needed to be.
I'm just unhappy with the standard 5w30 Mobil 1 that the dealer put in my Jetta preBITOG and pretdiclub.
Cost me a cam and followers.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Bob - you are absolutely correct, I wasn't as clear and specific as I needed to be.
I'm just unhappy with the standard 5w30 Mobil 1 that the dealer put in my Jetta preBITOG and pretdiclub.
Cost me a cam and followers.

Unhappy with the oil, or with the dealer for using it? I would expect Mobil 1 5w30 to cause damage as it is a gasoline-only oil.

Unhappy with the dealer for being so pompous and righteous for using the wrong oil and stating to me that "it was in fact the correct oil" when I questioned it.
The old blue cap M1 5w30 has worked well in some of the family's gassers for years. I go to the dealer for specific "diesel engine oil" and get handed a problem. Not good.

Volkswagen's biggest problem is its dealer network. A lot of their problems can be traced to poor competency in the support network. They need to work harder on this, but there's only so much they can do considering that the dealerships are independent businesses. The dealer franchise laws in many states only serve to exacerbate the situation, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back