15,697mi Amsoil 30wDiesel ACD'06 Grand Prix LS4 v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Texas CHRISTmas greetings UOA devotees...

Last run of SSO in the v8 LS4 was pretty good. Pablo and addyguy seemed very intersted to see what a recipe of ACD and a long oil drain would do in this Grand Prix. This is extended oil drain number 5 for me... with different weights and blends of Amsoil. I think the 30w ACD is what I will stick with. It is cheaper and gives excellent results. It seems Oil consumption went up a little with the ACD though. The consumption with the SSO 0w/30 was about 1qt/5k... the ACD 30w was about 1qt/4k.

The filtration was handeled by the recommended Amsoil oil filter with magnets attatched to the outside, and a panel filter from Amsoils' (newish) EAA line.

Iron is way down. Steve at Blackstone was very pleased with that. He said of the engine wear metals... that is one I want lowest. He also pointed out that my wear numbers were excellent compared to those of the universal averages which are based on 5800mile runs. Copper was higher than the Universal Avg, but for oil nearly 3x as old... it was still a good number.

I am VERY pleased with this run of ACD... look at that TBN with nearly 16k on the odometer! My car was 2 (TWO!) full quarts low when I drained it (add oil light had just come on the day of the change). I meant to get under the car sooner, but life kept getting in the way. I had not added any make up oil in a couple of months so as to not skew the results. Sample taken hot, near the middle of the drain. Fuel is generally 87 octane from Quick Trip.

This oil did thicken to 40weight by the time it was dumped. I don't really like that aspect... not sure if that is even really detrimental... but this Amsoil product was still obviously doing its' job very well.

(BEGIN UOA Report) ----------------------------------------------

BLAKE: For such a long oil change interval, wear looks stellar. Iron dropped by a lot since the last sample, while copper increased a little. Neither movement means anything significant here, as we've seen both metals read at these levels after a similar length oil change intervals. From the looks of wear data, this LS4 is taking the long oil changes rather well, and we're not complaining. The viscosity was a bit thick at 10W/40, from the long oil use. The 3.4 TBN shows lots of active additive still present in the oil. No contamination found. Try an even 17,000 miles next oil run.

CRESSON, TX 76035
EQUIPMENT MAKE:...GM
EQUIPMENT MODEL:..5.3L 327 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE:............Gasoline (Unleaded)
CODE:..................GXP
ADDITIONAL INFO:....LS4

REPORT DATE:....12/18/2009
NAME:..............BLAKE MOORE
E-MAIL:[email protected]

OIL USE INTERVAL : 15,697 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE :
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 2 qts

OIL REPORT

MI/HR ON OIL :......15,697
MI/HR ON UNIT:.....84,593
SAMPLE DATE:.......12/03/09

*PARTS PER MILLION this sample* / 14.4k sample of 0w-30 / 5,800mile Universal Averages
ALUMINUM.........3...............................3...............................3
CHROMIUM........1................................1...............................1
IRON...............21............................. 46..............................20
COPPER...........49..............................36..............................32
LEAD...............6...............................8...............................9
TIN.................1...............................2...............................1
MOLYBDENUM.....7..............................12..............................68
NICKEL.............2...............................2...............................1
MANGANESE......10..............................6................................2
SILVER.............0...............................0................................0
TITANIUM.........0...............................0................................0
POTASSIUM.......1...............................3................................3
BORON.............4...............................11...............................51
SILICON...........12..............................16...............................13
SODIUM............7................................5...............................19
CALCIUM........3551............................3592............................2217
MAGNESIUM......11...............................12..............................130
PHOSPHORUS....1076.............................631............................684
ZINC..............1356..............................765............................838
BARIUM............0.................................1................................0

TEST.....VALUES SHOULD BE.......TESTED VALUES WERE
WATER %.............
ANTIFREEZE %..........0.................0.0

FUEL %................
FLASHPOINT INºF.....>370..............390

SUS VISCOSITY@210ºF: 58-66...........70.3

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 9.7-12.2.......13.02

INSOLUBLES %.........
TBN...............................3.4

(this is the link from my last UOA, it was 14.4k with Amsoil SSO 0w-30):
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...rue#Post1462008

Considering that your car was 2 full quarts low when you drained it, It's an excellent report. I like the SSO better for your application because of the relatively low oil consumption and the lower copper reading. Thanks for sharing

Also meant to ask...

Take another look at the report. You reckon those high Zinc and Phosphorus numbers found in the Diesel oil additive pack are having detrimental affects on things like o2 sensors or the cat?

They are durn near double the levels in the SSO.

Thanks in advance for your replies and opinions.

Running 2 quarts low will have WAYYYYY more detrimental effect.

Keep it full.
thumbsup2.gif

You beat Amsoil's recommendation for ACD in a gas engine. I'm also uncertain how I would view the lack of make up oil at the time of sampling. For example, the thickening would have appeared less pronounced and may not have been as severe with one more quart to distribute the oxidation side effects of heat. We're looking at a sliding scale of 4k with one quart low through 8k. What I mean is that you were at some state of low on oil for the last half of the OCI - that sounded better.

Gasoline Engine Service

* Two times (2X) OEM* recommendation, not to exceed 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

That all said, it did very well over an extended drain.

Thanks for posting! Very impressive results!

2 quarts low, and your TBN was STILL 3.4 after 16k miles? On some engines, I really feel that if you just top-off a quality synthetic regularly, and do filter changes, there is no need to actually change the oil. If I were a betting man, this is one engine I bet you could do it on, and not have problems.

I'd definetly stick with this oil - gives you the results you want, at a much cheaper cost than SSO, ASL, or HDD.

Originally Posted By: blakeinspace
Also meant to ask...

Take another look at the report. You reckon those high Zinc and Phosphorus numbers found in the Diesel oil additive pack are having detrimental affects on things like o2 sensors or the cat?

They are durn near double the levels in the SSO.

Thanks in advance for your replies and opinions.

Not a worry. It takes a lot more than that to kill a cat, but why is your consumption up? Well by GM's own standards it's pretty good!

TBN is nice considering it's Blackstone.....Cu in GM V8. It happens.

I say good report, but just think if you always kept your oil at the max mark?!? Oh maybe just more ammo for the anti-extended OCI people.

Remember *******

* Two times (2X) OEM* recommendation, not to exceed 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

That means, if your OEM say's 3K OCI's and at 7K the engine goes bye, bye, because of the oil...Your Poop out of luck with Amsoil.

However, nice to see the 15K you did do!

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Why do you say that?

He always says this with Amsoil extended OCI's. Never has produced any evidence that there is a problem. It's the internet and he has a fixation. Most people just ignore his posts.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Why do you say that?

He always says this with Amsoil extended OCI's. Never has produced any evidence that there is a problem. It's the internet and he has a fixation. Most people just ignore his posts.

27.gif

Well...when someone posts something like "Running it too far." in every long OCI thread, without a shred of logical backing, evidence or truth, a reasonable person can openly express doubts and question the motivation of such posts.....And I think a certain amount of feedback is necessary.

Mine was purposely over the top, but he rarely (ever?) responds logically to questions such as "Why do you say that?" I'm hoping he responds.

Running low on oil is causing an issue. You should top it off regularly in 1/2 pint intervals every 1k-2k miles as needed.

Visc is good so I wouldn't blame the oil for the consumption.

With a TP bypass filter, and your consumption, 30k intervals should be easy with this oil.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Too much wear metals circulating and some fuel.

Seriously, you have to be kidding. He was 2 quarts low when the sample was taken. Add 2 fresh quarts to these numbers at any point before the sample was taken and his flash point goes up, viscosity goes down, TBN goes up, wear metals go down by dilution. There is absolutely nothing to worry about with 49ppm of copper in any GM engine particularly the LS series. If he wanted he could have added 2 quarts to this oil rather then changing it and kept on going.

I don't think he even needs a TP bypass filter. If he just kept it topped up and changed the full flow at 15-20k miles there is no telling how long his OCI could be.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Well...when someone posts something like "Running it too far." in every long OCI thread, without a shred of logical backing, evidence or truth, a reasonable person can openly express doubts and question the motivation of such posts.....And I think a certain amount of feedback is necessary.

Mine was purposely over the top, but he rarely (ever?) responds logically to questions such as "Why do you say that?" I'm hoping he responds.

He's into self preservation. I think he's in the oil business on some primary or secondary level. He wants to do his part to keep the pipeline full and flowing.
grin2.gif

I find his approach short, subtle, and simple.
55.gif

ttt0526.jpg

You can take this OCI much longer

ttt0531.jpg

..and why should I take your word for it ..when my adviser says otherwise?

ttt0521.jpg

A just question, my liege 5k ..no further. Be a sport and cut the engine a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back