Valvoline VR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
still new to this page, I was curious on what peoples thoughts was on Valvoline VR1 and just plain old valvoline wb...

rob

Rob, Valvoline is a good oil. Some people have used it for decades and swear by it. Others say they would never use it. Valvoline, pennzoil, castrol, quakerstate, mobileone, ect. are all common, good oils.

yeah i always used valvoline wb or GTX... just was wondering peoples thoughts..

Depends on your intended use. VR1 is a race oil, it doesn't have
as much detergent/dispersant or anti corrosion additives. It has fairly high levels of zinc for excellent wear and scuffing protection. It is not made for street cars with long oil change intervals. If your running a daily driver go with the white bottle.
If you have a street/strip car you can run the VR1, just make sure you change your oil every 3000 miles or 3-4 months. VR1 is used by a lot of racers for good reason, it is a very stout oil and will work well in a hard driven engine.

I have never heard anything bad about VR-1. Only good. It does have a high ZDDP level and there are now two VR-1's. The racing with the lower detergent and the new street VR-1 WITH detergents.

If you go to Valvolines site you will see the two different oils listed. It is fairly expensive($7 a quart last time I checked) but if you want a dino for an old flat tappet motor it's one of the few if not the only one readily available with the higher ZDDP levels.

Since I drive a relic daily which was made in 1973 I have considered swithching from mobil 1 to the VR-1 but there isn't as much choice in weights and it gets very cold where I live. As far as mobil 1 is concerned there are only three with higher ZDDP levels. The 15-50, 5-40 TDT and I believe the 0-40.

there are 3 valvoline racing oils, 2 are VR-1 and 1 is clearly marked "not street legal". the "not street legal" has lower detergent levels and is labeled as such. either of the other 2 oils VR-1 or VR-1 synthetic are perfectly suited for street use and say so on the website. they are not long drain oils but for 3k you would be fine with either one.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Isn't VR-1 near the price of Redline? I really have no idea, since I've never seen it up here.

It`s the same price at Valvoline wb (the dino version of VR1).

Last edited:
vr1 is dyno

they do make a syn vr1 but its hard to come by, and if thats what he was talking about I assume he woulda said VR1 synthetic....

Last edited:
VR1? hah, just scrounge around a auto parts store in po-dunk-ville and buy some API-SL rated oil of any brand. It's the same thing as VR1... racing oil...that's a good laugh. Z & P is severely less than what Ashland 'quotes' on their data sheet. Not a fan and it is a farce they lable it 'racing oil'.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I have never heard anything bad about VR-1. Only good. It does have a high ZDDP level and there are now two VR-1's. The racing with the lower detergent and the new street VR-1 WITH detergents.

If you go to Valvolines site you will see the two different oils listed. It is fairly expensive($7 a quart last time I checked) but if you want a dino for an old flat tappet motor it's one of the few if not the only one readily available with the higher ZDDP levels.

Since I drive a relic daily which was made in 1973 I have considered swithching from mobil 1 to the VR-1 but there isn't as much choice in weights and it gets very cold where I live. As far as mobil 1 is concerned there are only three with higher ZDDP levels. The 15-50, 5-40 TDT and I believe the 0-40.

I buy my VR-1 (street use) from my local NAPA, and it is a lot cheaper than $7/qt. $4-$5 if I remember correctly. I'm old so the mind does not recall a lot of things.

BTW, I use VR-1 10W30.

I have not seen the "not for street use" version for some time but it is probably still around. The street version is on the shelves and $3.99 at Auto Zone. That is the dino. There is a syn and it is in the $7-8 range. What application are you looking at and in what grade? The VR-1 is primarily formulated for high performance applications with more Zinc/Phos. See this link for a similar disussion on the motorcycle page.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...198#Post1706198

Originally Posted By: glen242
Originally Posted By: Trvlr500

I buy my VR-1 (street use) from my local NAPA, and it is a lot cheaper than $7/qt. $4-$5 if I remember correctly. I'm old so the mind does not recall a lot of things.

BTW, I use VR-1 10W30.

You are correct. I don't know where it was i saw it for $7 a qt but i just bought some VR110-30 for just under $5 a qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back