Why does MMO make my engine quieter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using MMO for a few months now. I can't really tell if I have gained in MPG, maybe 1 or 1/2 mpg, its kind of sporadic given I drive the same HWY route every day (150 miles roundtrip). But one thing I can say is that the engine is definitely quieter, especially in cold weather. I am not going to go as far as saying I have increased pep, because the quieter engine can make you think you have more power--it is very subjective.

Anyway, I have found that at a ratio of 4oz/10 gallons, my engine is noticeably quieter. I have heard people say that it is a top end lube, but there is plenty of oil flowing under my valve cover, so what is it doing to quiet my engine exactly?

Last edited:
Added to gas I believe it increases compression making a tighter ring seal, which in turn gives you a better running engine. A better running engine is quieter than an engine that isn't running well. I also believe top oils in general cut down friction in the cylinder and might deaden sound? Just a guess though. I'm interested in others opinions on the matter.

I notice a big difference using mmo in this winter blend fuel. I dont know if its because this blend is such a dry fuel,or what?

If you are adding to fuel it's possible that the MMO is leaving a lubricating film on the valve seats, where the film acts as a cushion as the valves slam shut. This would cut down on some minor clatter/rattle.

Last edited:
I'm pretty skeptical about these kinds of claims, but if I was going to put something in my gas as a lubricant/additive it would probably be one of the TCW3 oils. I know that Sarge has a large thread about it over on the LS1 forums, and a lot of people are telling stories of less noise and improved mileage....maybe there is something to it
21.gif

And I think it would cost less than using MMO, most of the guys are buying it by the gallon and mixing it 500 or 600 to 1.

Have any of you MMO users tried the 2 cycle oils in your gas as a comparison?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Have any of you MMO users tried the 2 cycle oils in your gas as a comparison?

I have been following that thread for a while now, and have used both MMO and TCW3. In fact my E-150 has two gas tanks, and I've used TCW3 in one tank and MMO in the other. I keep going back to MMO. Honestly I can't tell any difference between the two products, but I believe MMO is better at removing carbon and keeping things cleaner than TCW3. OTOH I think the TCW3 might leave a "thicker" film behind, which could help make things quiet.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Added to gas I believe it increases compression making a tighter ring seal, which in turn gives you a better running engine. A better running engine is quieter than an engine that isn't running well. I also believe top oils in general cut down friction in the cylinder and might deaden sound? Just a guess though. I'm interested in others opinions on the matter.

Wouldn't the MMO in the fuel combust? If so, how could it improve the compression if added to the fuel?

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Wouldn't the MMO in the fuel combust? If so, how could it improve the compression if added to the fuel?

It cleans piston rings? I run MMO in gas and oils (for the last 500 miles of the OCI).

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The way it was explained to me is a residual amount of MMO or TCW3 remains, and helps form a tighter seal between the rings and the cylinder wall which increases compression. That and the valves stay clean so they seal better.

Originally Posted By: db500
I've been using MMO for a few months now. I can't really tell if I have gained in MPG, maybe 1 or 1/2 mpg, its kind of sporadic given I drive the same HWY route every day (150 miles roundtrip). But one thing I can say is that the engine is definitely quieter, especially in cold weather. I am not going to go as far as saying I have increased pep, because the quieter engine can make you think you have more power--it is very subjective.

Anyway, I have found that at a ratio of 4oz/10 gallons, my engine is noticeably quieter. I have heard people say that it is a top end lube, but there is plenty of oil flowing under my valve cover, so what is it doing to quiet my engine exactly?

It might also be mainly posychological; I wonder how well mint flavored vegetable oil would fare as a gasoline treatment. We could call it "gasoline stabilizer". I use the stuff myself once in the while, in the winter esp. But I do wonder how much of the perceived improvment is psychological.

Last edited:
I recently watched the "Car Talk" guys in a documentary called Car of the Future: Engineering for the Environment. They were at the MIT lab where they were researching ways to reduce cylinder wall friction to boost engine efficiency and FE. Friction causes heat in turn causes parasitic loss in the engine.

When I heard of MMO I like the idea that MMO lubricates the fuel system, injectors, and more importantly the cylinder walls.

'Top end lube' does not refer to lubing the cams, lifters, whatever, under the valve cover.
A top end lube lubes the valve guides in the air flow or the ports, and the cylinders/pistons/rings in the combustion chamber.
Other benefits are lubing the fuel pump [important!] and injectors, and possibly getting a better valve seal.

Salicylic acid is synthetic wintergreen, The same stuff as heats up your skin in liniments and stuff. Also related to aspirin. I like the smell and the neat container. I think stuff runs better with a dab of MMO in the tank. Sure smells better.

"Top end lube" refers to the combustion chamber above the first piston ring. Not what's splashing around under the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
'Top end lube' does not refer to lubing the cams, lifters, whatever, under the valve cover.
A top end lube lubes the valve guides in the air flow or the ports, and the cylinders/pistons/rings in the combustion chamber.
Other benefits are lubing the fuel pump [important!] and injectors, and possibly getting a better valve seal.

I'm aware of the fact that a top lube doesn't lube anything under the valve cover. It does however make for a better ring seal, and keeps the portion of the valve face, that makes contact with the valve seat clean and carbon free. Also the valve stem below the valve guide and stem seal stays cleaner. Shell shows pictures in their gas ads of these areas. Piston tops stay cleaner too.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Salicylic acid is synthetic wintergreen, The same stuff as heats up your skin in liniments and stuff. Also related to aspirin.

You've mentioned that before but still it is not true. You can make methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) from salicylic acid but it does not make them the same thing. Oil of wintergreen does not have a carboxylic acid functional group on it.

Methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) was a staple on one class of steam ships I sailed on. The boiler compound that carried through the steam (not a usually problem in these miniscule amounts) reacted with the particular hard surfacing treatment on the valves which caused a build up and sticky throttle valves. Oil of wintergreen cut this build up. This was on 900°F metal...the engineroom smelled good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back