Motul 300V 5W30, 4000 interval, 40k mi. S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is a 2008 S2000

My air filter was pretty dirty (as was postulated by Blackstone for the last sample based on the high silicon reading). I changed the air filter about 1/2 way through the latest sample, and the silicon reading dropped. Note that Virgin 300V already contains 10 ppm silicon, so even with the dirty air filter, the oil filter and air filter were performing admirably.

Also, I attribute the (unusually high for this oil) breakdown of the previous sample to the high temperatures. I was tracking the car in 100+ ambient temperatures. That sample included 2 track days (about 200 minutes of constant 6000+ rpm load) + my usual "spirited" driving.

The latest sample includes only one day and the usual drive.

Note that my daily commute is 7 miles of lights, and may include a few 2nd gear pulls... highway underpasses are tempting.

UOA9.jpg

Virgin 300V for comparison.

VOA.jpg

Oh, and my first post here :)

Last edited:
Oil seems to have thickened a lot for just 4k......sure you didn't use a 5W-40 that sheared down?

Other than that, looks pretty good for the service.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Oil seems to have thickened a lot for just 4k......sure you didn't use a 5W-40 that sheared down?

Other than that, looks pretty good for the service.

Agreed. Although, Honda Japan/Asia specs 40W oils for DOHC VTECs anyway. Great report from an outstanding car/engine.

My last 5 changes have been with 5W30; I do it myself. Every sample I sent in has had a rather high viscosity, but that's fine by me, as I do expect higher temps given the conditions the car is exposed to.

The lowest SUS viscosity I've seen in a sample is 62.2, and the highest I've seen is 63.8. I do have samples from nearly all my changes. Would it benefit anyone for me to post them?

Also, how is it possible for an oil to become more viscous as it is used? Are the impurities somehow causing the oil to flow slower? (I'm thinking something similar to water and conductivity? Unrelated, but similar concept?)

Last edited:
Impurities can do that.

Sometimes the oil also thickens due to oxidation. I know esters are sometimes vulnerable to that.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Impurities can do that.

Sometimes the oil also thickens due to oxidation. I know esters are sometimes vulnerable to that.

I though esters in general were the most resistant to oxidative thickening?

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
LMAO this guy stole my VOA and put his name on it. The oil isn't thickening he's using an older version of 300V. My VOA is a newer version of the oil.

Proof: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...390#Post1079390

Wow this psychoazn is a total Fraud! If you zoom in you can easily see where he wrote over "Luis" and put "Mike" on top. The top of the letters of "Luis" are still visible.

Reported to moderators

That's really funny. Why did he have to make the VOA his "own" as though it made some difference whether he just said he got the VOA from elsewhere on the site... lol

I have banned psychoazn as a result of his false statement concerning "his" UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back