Just put Mobil 1 5w30 in my Kia Sorento, bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My owners manual states this weight is for temps under 40F. I live in So. Cal where the winter temps are usually between 55F to 70F. Newbie here, please advise.

You just put the best oil around into your car. No worries at all till at least 6000 miles later when you might need a change. The top number means the oil is 30 weight once it is warmed up which it already is in So Calif.
grin.gif

Does your manual state 5W30 is for under under 40 deg. F only? Sometimes the manual shows a 'preffered' weight for given temperature conditions where other weights are still permissible. I think the 'preferred', if shown, is generally the weight preferred for fuel economy.

Actually I found this list which is supposedly for a 2005 Kia Sorento 3.5L 6 cyl; not sure if this list is correct or for your vehicle, but based on the temp. range you provided the chart does call for a heavier oil. Actually I'm kind of surprised at the relatively heavy weights prescribed for above 16 deg. F.

0 To 39°F.......30
-9 To 20°F......20W-20
Above -13°F.....10W-40, 10W-50
Above 84°F......40
Above 16°F......20W-40, 20W-50
Below 32°F......5W-30
Below -4°F......5W-20

Short hijack--

If I use M1 5w30 for a while and then switch to 10w30 for one OCI (say, 8 months, 4K miles), will there by any problems if I go back to 5w30? thanks.

Yikes, terrible choice. Drain immediately. Your engine is going to see high temps, immediate sludge production, and a lot of high-friction metal to metal contact. Drain and put in the finest non-detergent straight 30 you can find.

"Short hijack--

If I use M1 5w30 for a while and then switch to 10w30 for one OCI (say, 8 months, 4K miles), will there by any problems if I go back to 5w30? thanks." No problem at all.

"Yikes, terrible choice. Drain immediately. Your engine is going to see high temps, immediate sludge production, and a lot of high-friction metal to metal contact. Drain and put in the finest non-detergent straight 30 you can find."

Are you being serious?

I have the 3.5L V6 in my Sorento.

Bruin101,

What does your owner's manual say to use for your temperature conditions?

The "Yikes, terrible choice..." comment was meant to be a joke. No, your engine won't self destruct. Yes, it should be fine.

I'm up here in Sacramento where the temperatures range from the low 40's in the winter to the 100's in the summer. I use mobil1 5w30 year round for my 02 accord v6.

The "too thin" argument is played out. If it was "too thin", then how is it that I got over 100,000 high revving miles out of my Integra GS-R before it was stolen from me. And that engine was running very strong, no leaks and not using any oil. And I was using Mobil1 5w30 every 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back