Can one run Leaded fuel in a 2stroke?(sled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see why not. The nice rich, oily mixture should flush that nasty old lead right out of there and into the environment.

Joel

And do what airplane owners did with leaded gas. Add MMO to the fuel. It was always considered one of the best scavenfgers of lead in an engine.

Found this info on 100 Low Lead Avgas which contains 2 grams of lead per US gal:

It’s interesting to note that 100LL aviation fuel is the single biggest source of airborne lead
pollution in North America, yet more fuel is consumed by cars in one day than all of general
aviation uses in one year! No wonder the environmentalists would like to see 100LL phased out!
Due to its low volume and extra handling expenses even the fuel manufactures would not
bemoan the passing of 100LL.

Disclaimer: I make no claim to be the worlds leading two stroke expert. However, I have worked for a number of race teams and done some two stroke oil testing. I know two stroke engines quite well.

Most people don't know that leaded fuel will extends two stroke engine life. The connecting rod big end bearings last twice as long on leaded fuel.

One simple trick is to mix unleaded auto gas with AVGAS 50-50 or so. Resulting in about 1g lead per gal (that's enough).

Lead can form deposits in the combustion chamber and spark plugs, so fouling becomes more of an issue with leaded fuels. Make sure not to use too much lead if your engine is prone to fouling. Otherwise, you are good to go.

AV gas is not suitable for a surface engine. It is designed for an entirly diffferent purpose. Example, widely varying tempatures and altuide, prolonged peroids of near constant loads and engine speed, exc. Lead works well as a lubircant. Engines will run cooler and last longer. For best results the jetting should be rechecked and yes it is bad for the earth. If you do not require the extra octant in your fuel it will be of no bennefit. Why do you want to use it?
Visit macdizzy.com there is a lot of info. the forum is members only (must pay) If you are serious about your 2-strokes it is a must!

Originally Posted By: morrison250r
AV gas is not suitable for a surface engine. It is designed for an entirly diffferent purpose. Example, widely varying tempatures and altuide, prolonged peroids of near constant loads and engine speed, exc. Lead works well as a lubircant. Engines will run cooler and last longer. For best results the jetting should be rechecked and yes it is bad for the earth. If you do not require the extra octant in your fuel it will be of no bennefit. Why do you want to use it?
Visit macdizzy.com there is a lot of info. the forum is members only (must pay) If you are serious about your 2-strokes it is a must!

AVGAS is a fantastic fuel for certain applications. It works very well in larger two strokes. Plus, it contains NO ALCOHOL. So engine life, jetting and performance are all properly managed using AVGAS.

However, it does not provide the worlds best throttle response in smaller, high RPM two strokes. There are many reasons for this. But, larger engines, like sno toys will do perfectly well on AVGAS.

Still, I dare you to find pump auto gas that is higher quality, more consistent and higher octane.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Disclaimer: I make no claim to be the worlds leading two stroke expert. However, I have worked for a number of race teams and done some two stroke oil testing. I know two stroke engines quite well.

Most people don't know that leaded fuel will extends two stroke engine life. The connecting rod big end bearings last twice as long on leaded fuel.

One simple trick is to mix unleaded auto gas with AVGAS 50-50 or so. Resulting in about 1g lead per gal (that's enough).

Lead can form deposits in the combustion chamber and spark plugs, so fouling becomes more of an issue with leaded fuels. Make sure not to use too much lead if your engine is prone to fouling. Otherwise, you are good to go.

I agree 100%. Rings and bearings do show less wear. TCP can be added to leaded fuel to minimize combustion chamber deposits if you are running it long term. Just a spike of leaded, or one run of leftover race fuel is nothing to worry about. There is a lot of info on the web about leaded fuels. Personal plane sites are a good start.

Well of corse AV100LL is bettter than pump fuel! He asked if he could run leaded fuel in his engine. Is a snowmobile engine not a "smaller, high RPM two-srtroke"? When someone mentions leaded fuel in a surface dirven vehicle most people think of vp racing, sunoco, exc. not airplane fuel. Why do you want to run leaded fuel anyway? If your engine does not REQUIRE the extra octane there will be NO bennefit(as is output) in using it. Power will be reduced. Lead will reduce wear however. You may need to rejet.Small ultra lights sometimes use snowmobile engines with av gas as a fuel. However they are not the higher output snowmobile engines(over 8500+RPM and 3.5 hp per C.I.2) used in performance sleds. More like a 503cc rotax running at maybe 6000 RPM and 1.23 hp per C.I.2

Originally Posted By: morrison250r
Left over race fuel? I do not understand.

My bud races heavily modified sleds(500hp)and he uses VP race fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back