Buying oil in larger quantities for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me any direction on a bulk oil question? I have 4 cars in my household and go through about 25 gallons of oil a year in changes. Is there anywhere in Eastern Connecticut I can buy oil in 30 or 55 gallon drums to save a little. I would expect that 55 gallons would be done in a little over two years and all the cars use 5w-30. Does the cost even make sense and does oil degrade with that age? Any experience or direction would be appreciated.

Two years in a bulk container is "pushing it", but thats just my opinion, not backed in science. Oil is too cheap (like at WM) for me to consider bulk with my four vehicles serviced. I would rather just buy as needed, say, 4-5 gallons at a time. Fresher (and better sealed!) oil that way.

Last edited:
Best bet is to contact oil distributors in your area and ask them if they package bulk oil in 30-gallon drums. That's a nice size for your application and they do not take up that much room in your garage. A word of caution, if you buy in a drum, be sure something is setting under it. Do not set it directly on your garage floor. I use to use 30-gallons years ago and set them on a small pallet.

Originally Posted By: ctc
My local Sam's Club sells 55 gallon barrels of rotella.

Those 400 pound drums must be tough for one to handle, unloading and getting in to a proper storage and use configuration in your garage.

Buying in 30 or 55 gallon bulk will probably not save you any money and at the end of 2 years you may have a little condensation inside the barrel.
But if you have the room and this is the route you want to take, contact your oil distributor and he/she can probably get you set up. Years ago there was a deposit on drums but most all of them now just charge extra and you keep the drum when it is empty.

You'll save on trips to WM ..and that may give you a reason for doing it. My buddy went to Wolfshead (or was it Kendal) from the PZ distributor @$150 savings over a 55 gallon drum of YB.

The reason that 55gallon drums aren't that much of a savings is that professional service enterprises can't go to WM (or anywhere else) and buy their products without added costs in losses in productivity. The wrench has to pay someone to go buy it ..or take time away from their productivity to buy it.

55 gallon drums are more of a service than a true savings in the cost of the product itself.

The cost savings is minimal/none. Its mainly for convenience.

I would just stick to buying 5qt jugs.

I know you can also get 2.5gal jugs and 5gallon pails with some oils.. but again the cost savings vs walmart 5qt jugs or autozone/Advance autoparts monthly deals is minimal to none.

edit: Apparently Gary beat me posting :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: snytom
Can anyone give me any direction on a bulk oil question? I have 4 cars in my household and go through about 25 gallons of oil a year in changes. Is there anywhere in Eastern Connecticut I can buy oil in 30 or 55 gallon drums to save a little. I would expect that 55 gallons would be done in a little over two years and all the cars use 5w-30. Does the cost even make sense and does oil degrade with that age? Any experience or direction would be appreciated.

I think, as you suspected, it doesn't make much sense.

The oil does not degrade but, additives settle out. GM dealers with low volume oil sales were advised to use smaller bulk oil container. Based on my personnel experience with 5 quart containers, I would be uncomfortable with oil additives settling out if much over one year.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The oil does not degrade but, additives settle out. GM dealers with low volume oil sales were advised to use smaller bulk oil container. Based on my personnel experience with 5 quart containers, I would be uncomfortable with oil additives settling out if much over one year.

Both SOPUS and Mobil have told me that their products in the sealed retail containers kept indoors away from freezing have a shelf life of 60 months. I have about 75 gallons of oil in my basement from closeouts, Bogo sales, rebates etc. All synthetic and average cost of under $2/quart. Still using the last of my PP from the 2007 AAP Bogo sale. It is dated August 2006 and the UOA's are excellent. Just shake the container before use. 5 years is no problem and many people have gone longer. The PP I bought was a year old when I got it.

Condensation and lack of a seal would concern me. Two years and possible settlement would concern me. After that, you have to get some type of pump, and a pallet or drum takes up floor space. As for saving trips to WM, well, almost everyone goes there often anyway. I'll just stick with the fresh gallon jugs, easy choice for me.

The foot print is no more than the drum unless you want to use a spigot. The crank/lift pumps are for the vertical orientation. The pump and the hand truck would be one time expenses.

There would still be the issue of waste oil disposal. You could probably get one or two dedicated 5 gallon containers for that.

It would lower your packaging/container footprint a bit ..but at a cost. The drums get returned and you reuse the waste oil containers.

If you use a spigot, you would have to tilt the drum over to drain. Effort to do this, or, you could leave drum horizontal, but that would take up lots of space. No, the gallon jugs are FAR more handy.

Maybe a good comprimise is a 5 gallon pail? I bought one of rotella 15W40 for summer use in pretty much everything I own. Easy to store and shake too. It was on sale for $45 which is a deal for major brand oil around here. 4 quart jugs are around $16...

Watch craigslist for shops closing and liquidating. You might get a half full pail of "whatever" real cheap.

I'd consider buying 5 - 5 gallon pails if you can catch them on sale, or can get a good buy on them.

Check with something like a farm or fleet supply store. Any store or vendor who caters to those who own diesel engines.

With 5 gallon buckets, you could buy a year's worth of oil at a time, and keep each bucket sealed until you need it, and then once opened, you will use it up in a period of a few months.

Then, the empty buckets can be used to easily store the old oil until it can be disposed of.

With 5 gallon buckets, you're not looking at the need for a pump (as with a barrel), and the buckets could be easily moved around if necessary.

Right now, my local farm supply store has 5 gallon buckets of 15w-40 made by Citgo for $29.99 each. ($1.49/quart)

OK, Here is another question. How long does oil last in sealed 5 quart containers that are exposed to temps below 32F for long periods of time in the winter? I seen in a previous post it could last for 60 months if not exposed to freezing. I have an unattached garage that regularly sees cold temps all winter long and have always stored my oil there without problems.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I called a local oil distributor. He can get oil in a 55 gal drum, but he said delivery to his warehouse could only be done "once they fill a complete semi trailer", meaning that there was no regular delivery of the stuff and he recommended a 30 gallon barrel, which he had on hand. Price for a 30 gallon 10W-30 drum was 350.00, plus the deposit on the drum, which was $20. Then there is the cost of the spigot pump or valve. (Spigot pump allows vertical storage. A bung valve allows horizontal storage) There is also the cost to deliver the stuff, (if needed) as you just don't throw in a 55 or 30 gallon drum in your Geo Metro.
This was for plain-jane SM 10W-30, premium named oils were higher.
One FYI here. This retailer still puts a deposit on the barrel. Most of the other local retailers do not. If you have a deposit barrel in your possession and the company suddenly decides to sell oil using the no-deposit barrel, you have lost your barrel deposit.
Bottom line: At the bare minimum, this stuff is $11.67 a gallon. Buy it for convenience, not to save money.

Quote:
If you use a spigot, you would have to tilt the drum over to drain.

Quote:
The foot print is no more than the drum unless you want to use a spigot.

I thought "standing up" would be understood and taken for granted since you can't use a spigot with it standing up.

Quote:
Effort to do this, or, you could leave drum horizontal, but that would take up lots of space.

Yes...but if you wanted to use a spigot....

The effort isn't that much with drum cradle

14427_lg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back