Anyone using Mobil 1 0W-40 on the race track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to give Mobil 1 0W-40 a try in my 07 turbocharged MINI Cooper S. This oil has been in my engine for last 2300 miles. I did a track day last month on this oil. The oil saw about 3 hours of total track time at Sebring. I did multiple sessions and each session was 30 minutes long. When I was not turning a corner, I was flooring the gas pedal all the way! I have another track day coming up in a couple of weeks. I am debating whether I should change my oil before the next track day. The next track day will include about 2 hours total. So what do you all think? Can M1 0W-40 easily deal with 5 hours of track time?

By the way, here is a picture of the little beast:

DCP_0834.jpg

I suspect lots and lots of folks are. I usually run AMSOIL AFL, but ran M1 0W-40 for a few sessions around Texas World Speedway last weekend. I am thinking I may just stick with it from here on out.

StasiS Engineering uses 0w-40 in their A4 and changes it every race.

stasis3.jpg

RealTime Racing uses Redline SAE 40, hot stuff.

TSX2.jpg

I dunno what the Mazda guys use, but they win quite often.

mazda.jpg

Hi,
uzun - The Porsche factory's race engines use M1 0W-40, many privateers here in OZ do, and so do many Teams, privateers and "track day" racers in Europe

It has quite a history as a race lubricant in the correct application

As in any such circumstance it would be best to take a UO sample after each track day initially. Its analysis will tell you much about the lubricants condition and its suitability for further use. To me that's the "professional" way to make a judgement

Last edited:
I feel it will easily do the 5 hours of track time. It is an extremely robust oil that can take a lot of abuse.

BTW, nice little Mini!

Mobil 1 0W-40 is one of the better Mobil 1 oils but it barely meets VW/Audi specs(the only Mobil 1 oil that does) with a HTHS rating of 3.7 when the same Redline oil has a HTHS of 4.0 but even better is Redline 5w-40 with a HTHS of 4.6 Even the same weight of Amsoils oils are just slightly behind Redlines but well ahead of Mobil 1. For a piece of mind, I would swap to something better. Most manufacturers post their specs on their websites but many of the U.S. manufacturers don't list the HTHS as it is a European (stricter) test standard.

Hi,
hahnmgh63 - Firstly welcome to BITOG - I hope you enjoy your experience here

This Thread has nothing to do with Redline or any other lubricants. The OP asked a question regarding M1 0W-40 - a lubricant used successfully by many racers - private or in Factory - Private Teams!

IMHO it is always wise to be circumspect when pushing other products........................or viewpoints!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I will go ahead and change my oil before my next track day just to be safe and get a UOA done on my oil as well. It's good to know some professional race teams are using the same oil!

ive ran m1 0-40, afl 5-40, and rl 0-40....love them all, but im sticking with rl 0-40. seems like there a little advantage with rl 0-40.

Sorry Doug, I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I am not telling him to buy Redline, I'm just telling him that their are better oils out there, not ones that meet the minimum Euro spec but ones that exceed it too. Amsoil is another one that exceeds Mobil 1 specs by a 10% margin. And if you think that Porsche uses stock Mobil 1 in their racing engines, and not a special blend, your crazy. Just Porsche Motorpsorts N.A. and talk to their technical directer, Nick Lester.

Originally Posted By: hahnmgh63
Sorry Doug, I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I am not telling him to buy Redline, I'm just telling him that their are better oils out there, not ones that meet the minimum Euro spec but ones that exceed it too. Amsoil is another one that exceeds Mobil 1 specs by a 10% margin. And if you think that Porsche uses stock Mobil 1 in their racing engines, and not a special blend, your crazy. Just Porsche Motorpsorts N.A. and talk to their technical directer, Nick Lester.

Doug knows many higher ups at both Porsche and Mercedes.... He does track days with these guys. You should look through Doug's post history, he is far from an "average joe" and has 50 years of tribological experience including fleet testing for various oil companies. He knows his stuff.

By the way: Go to Youtube and watch some of the Porsche engine testing videos. They test their approved oils in these rigs. These are VERY strenuous tests run BY Porsche. They are not handing out "minimum specs" to any old oil that jumps through some basic hoops here.........

+1

As Doug says in his article of the month "However take Porsche – they have about 100 Approved lubricants Listed – they Factory fill with Mobil 1! They also work very closely with Mobil’s Engineers on engine development but the car’s owner can use any of the 100 lubricant with confidence – simple as that!"

Which is why I use the oil I do.

Last edited:
Hi,
hahnmgh63 You said:
"Sorry Doug, I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I am not telling him to buy Redline, I'm just telling him that their are better oils out there, not ones that meet the minimum Euro spec but ones that exceed it too. Amsoil is another one that exceeds Mobil 1 specs by a 10% margin. And if you think that Porsche uses stock Mobil 1 in their racing engines, and not a special blend, your crazy. Just Porsche Motorpsorts N.A. and talk to their technical directer, Nick Lester."

Thanks for the "compliment" - I'll stick with my story thanks!

As for judging "better" and "...exceeding specs by 10%..." you have much to learn I suspect - nevertheless enjoy your stay on BITOG

The PO asked a simple question - he deserved a simple answer - not a Post about "better-best" and "exceeds" concerning other lubricants! Proving your claims is impossible!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

The PO asked a simple question - he deserved a simple answer - not a Post about "better-best" and "exceeds" concerning other lubricants! Proving your claims is impossible!

Not to mention I highly doubt ANY of the aforementioned lubricants are on the Porsche approval list and have been validated BY Porsche using their (EXTREMELY rigorous) testing methods......

I would be surprised if a company that uses the term "exceeds", or "meets" spent the money to have an OEM test its oil only to receive a letter that says, "We're sorry but your product is too good, we can't offer you approval."

Since the other oil companies don't spend the time and money to have the OEM, how would they know it meets the requirement? Plus, if it did really meet the requirement then it would be on the list. Would it not?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back