FShell 5W-30, 7000 miles, '06 Nissan Frontier V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA on Formula Shell 5W-30 SM run for one year and 7000 miles in a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with the VQ40DE engine. The truck has 19,350 miles on it in mixed driving conditions including frequent 4x4 usage. Its most strenuous service included one run up to the top of Mauna Kea (13,900 ft ASL) and back down, with WOT in 2nd gear for much of the drive up and 5000-6000 rpm engine braking coming back down. Added 1/2 qt. of make-up oil. Wix oil filter and OEM air filter. Blackstone did the analysis. Here are the data:

Aluminum------4
Chromium------1
Iron----------7
Copper--------7
Lead----------3
Tin-----------1
Moly---------42
Nickel--------0
Manganese-----1
Silver--------0
Titanium------0
Potassium-----0
Boron--------66
Silicon------19
Sodium--------5
Calcium----1951
Magnesium-----7
Phosphorus--643
Zinc--------763
Barium--------0

cSt Vis @ 100 deg C--8.80
Flashpoint in deg F--405
Fuel %--------------- Antifreeze %---------0
Water %--------------0
Insolubles %---------0.3
TBN------------------2.9

Blackstone's comments: No problems at all showed up in the initial sample from your Frontier, even though you ran this oil longer than you meant to. All wear metals read at or below average for this type of engine, which is a very good indication or normally wearing parts. Universal averages show typical wear after 5,600 miles on the oil. You've gone longer than that so it's impressive that your wear is so much lower. The viscosity was low, but it wasn't due to any fuel, so it's not a problem. The TBN was good at 2.9. Overall, a nice report. You could routinely go 7K miles.

My comments: I had planned to run this oil only 5K miles but got lazy. Looks like no harm done. Considering this oil is SOPUS' bottom shelf brand, I'm pretty happy. Only thing not to like is its falling out of grade.

thumbsup2.gif
Excellent results!

Nice.. That oil is just fine, dont let its price fool you. I've been using it for a while, and put as much faith in it, as any other dino oil I've used.

Very nice results for a dino. Although isn't the viscosity a little low? I think this is typical of 5W30, and I bet you could run 10W30 year around in HI. I don't see anything wrong with changing oil when the TBN drops below 3. I know Blackstone says between 2 and 1.

Isn't it always in the 80's in Hawaii year around? That probably is a factor in being able to do 7500 easy and still have high TBN and good results.

Last edited:
Carzzz said:
I would say FS > QS after seeing the oil analysis!
Why would Shell put the weakest additive on their own "name" engine oil? [/quote)oh for gosh sakes...just look at the climate and thinkb!! This was a good result. Just admit it!!

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Very nice results for a dino. Although isn't the viscosity a little low? I think this is typical of 5W30, and I bet you could run 10W30 year around in HI. I don't see anything wrong with changing oil when the TBN drops below 3. I know Blackstone says between 2 and 1.

Isn't it always in the 80's in Hawaii year around? That probably is a factor in being able to do 7500 easy and still have high TBN and good results.

mechanix,

The temperature where I live on the Big Island varies between 55 and 90 deg F. You are probably right that the climate helped get a favorable result. The Nissan's OM calls for 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40. I wanted to get rid of a bunch of odds and ends, so the truck now has in the sump 1 qt. of FShell 5W-30, 2 1/2 qts. of FShell 10W-40, and 2 qts. of Shell RT 10W-30. The engine sounds a little quieter, although it just may be my imagination.

Cheers!
Mark

I used to buy that FS at Checkers by the case for .49 cents a quart. Miss those days.

Great report considering the engine only had 12k miles on it when you filled it. No doubt a little bit of break in still going on.

Thanks for reminding me why I use Pennzoil dino.

Driving conditions and the Big Island is open road. You got far less vehicles with huge land mass comparable to Oahu compacted like sardines. It's the number one complaint those living on the outer islands they dread Oahu traffic. It's mostly stop and go..
I would believe the driving conditions would make a bigger difference ... but no cold starts is a luxury.

I used a re-labeled version of this oil for 8k miles in my Cavalier, and got similarly impressive results. It is an amazing-performing oil for what you pay for it.

Got a friend with a 2006 Nismo uses any of the brand oil Chevron, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil and Valvoline whatever he can pickup. His conditions to work and back isn't stop and go given the hours he works. He keeps his OCI at 3K - 4K ... this engine is not easy on the oil.

Given I would probably go with a Delo400 10w-30 if dust conditions are present.

Mamala,

I live on the windward side of the Big Island, the rainy side. We've had 28 inches of rain so far this month. Not much dust in the air! I live close to Akaka Falls on a dead end road at about 1250 feet elevation. To get anywhere I have to drive downhill 3 miles to the coast road. This makes for gentle engine warm-ups which may partially account for the good UOA. And you're right that the traffic is light compared to Honolulu.

Regarding the advice to use Delo 400, I'm in the process of using up my stash of PCMO with a view to using HDEO in almost all my engines--4 vehicles, 2 tractors, 2 generators, etc. Want to simplify my oil inventory to a 15W-40, a 5W-40, and a 10W-30. (The wife's new Honda hybrid won't fit that template, though). I envision running the Nissan on an HDEO 10W-30 once I burn through the PCMO overhang.

I buy Formula Shell by the case and use it in all the vehicles we own. I'm convinced it is just as good as the others.

This UOA is making me reconsider changing my oil tomorrow on the Saturn with 4,200 miles on the fill. I may just bring it out to 5,000 miles...especially since I put on over 300 miles a week.

UOA looks great, especially with low mileage on the engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
You guys got hit pretty hard last week. Flood watch was more on the windward side here too but not too much rain anywhere else. Got really windy though.

I can't imagine a major oil company like Shell having their brand name oil any less robust than their subsidiary companies, i.e. Pennzoil and Quaker State! What evidence is available to indicate that Formula Shell is a less robust or lower quality product?

I know of the Shell being used for a fast lube service. Interesting they started with Pennzoil for many years built themselves up. They had a low reasonable labor rate for auto repairs and became a favorite for many.

After establishing themselves they started using Quaker State. At that time they had a reasonable labor rate which many felt was reasonable. Presently they use Shell and their labor repair rate isn't a darling like when they first started out. I haven't heard any complaints with their service or the oil they use.

It's the fast lube repair auto service and how they grew with a name brand motor oil. They use quality parts on their repairs.

Spudislander,

You have a point. SOPUS markets Formula Shell as their economy PCMO, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior to their higher-priced brands. It's just the marketing strategy. The cases of 5W-30 and 10W-40 I bought cost 49 cents per quart with the rebate factored in.

I wonder if you live on Prince Edward Island. I visited the potato museum there once!

Originally Posted By: marco246
Spudislander,

I wonder if you live on Prince Edward Island. I visited the potato museum there once!

I do live on Prince Edward Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back