Toyota 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

VOA done by Wearcheck Canada. Oil bought from a Toyota Dealership in Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

0w20.jpg

What's with the silicon and aluminum? Also, I think Toyota indicated the VI as 214...this shows 235??!!

What do you think of the TAN and TBN numbers?

Last edited:
Everything looks like a really good oil, but I'm not sure what the AL is doing in there, and what's up with the Sulfur? Wow, that's a lot of moly. Shame this oil is so expensive at the dealer here.

Wow, something more expensive in the US than Canada!!! Even without the discount I got, it's only $5 and change up here in Canada. A great deal. I might buy another case in fact.

Last edited:
Wow, that stuff is loaded!

Visc. is off slightly - this has it as a thin 30-weight....maybe they meant 8.7cst?

WOW, is right! With all that Moly, look-out Red Line!
I agree the 100C vis must be off.

rcy, maybe you could bring the 100C vis spec' to Wearcheck's attn and ask to confirm reminding them that this is a 20wt with a PDS spec' of 8.8 cSt.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
WOW, is right! With all that Moly, look-out Red Line!
I agree the 100C vis must be off.

+1

100C vis is lower than this for Castrol Edge 5W30!

I have no idea how the testing works. Does it make sense that a lab. could easily be "off" with this statistic?

Last edited:
I called Wearcheck and the lab tech talked my ear off, but seems to think it's OK (i.e. not a lab error). He went on about this and that and made my head hurt. I told him the spec from Toyota was 8.8, and that 9.7 was a 30 weight, but he said there is a range of viscosities that an oil can be and still be considered a certain weight...blah blah blah..

Here's what I'm going to do since I'm obsessive compulsive. I'm going to take another sample to Toromont (usually I use Blackstone or Wearcheck, but Toromont will be cheaper and I've already spent enough money on this, unless you all want to Paypal me). Toromont is nearby and cheapish.

When I get the Toromont result and if it's markedly different than the Wearcheck, I'll call Wearcheck and demand a refund, or something...maybe a free UOA of the 0w20 when I change it out in the spring...

I just called Toromont to get info, and the person there also seemed to think that 9.7 was 'almost' ok. She said they allow for a .5 difference before they start wondering if something is off. They do not check the oil at 40c, only 100c which is fine, since that's the number that's off.

She also suggested a 'particle count'. What is this?

Anyone else think the visc@100c is questionable enough to get a second VOA done?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy
Here's what I'm going to do since I'm obsessive compulsive. I'm going to take another sample to Toromont

When I get the Toromont result and if it's markedly different than the Wearcheck, I'll call Wearcheck and demand a refund, or something...maybe a free UOA of the 0w20 when I change it out in the spring...

Oh no! This harkens back to the summer when I sent in virgin samples from the same bottle to three different labs as the first lab's #s (Blackstone) were significantly different than that seen on the posted spec sheet for the oil in question.

No good will come of this
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
rcy said:
Oh no! This harkens back to the summer when I sent in virgin samples from the same bottle to three different labs as the first lab's #s (Blackstone) were significantly different than that seen on the posted spec sheet for the oil in question.

No good will come of this
grin2.gif

Hmmm...maybe I'll save the $20 and spend it on four more litres of the Toyota 0w20 instead.

I just called Toromont to get info, and the person there also seemed to think that 9.7 was 'almost' ok. She said they allow for a .5 difference before they start wondering if something is off. They do not check the oil at 40c, only 100c which is fine, since that's the number that's off.

She also suggested a 'particle count'. What is this?

Anyone else think the visc@100c is questionable enough to get a second VOA done?

If I recall correctly SteveC said Toromont will do a 40C vis test if you ask?

There is little doubt in my mind that Wearcheck's 100C vis is incorrect. I mean as much as I would love to believe the 235 VI it's not realistic.
I'd speak to Wearcheck again and say "come on how many PCMO have you tested with a VI anywhere near 235? Something is wrong!"
If you tell him you're going to have them do the UOA maybe he'd agree to a retest?

Forgot to mention, Toromont doesn't do the viscosity index either. Makes sense, as they don't do the 40c vis. Don't you need both the 40c and the 100c to get the viscosity index?

Makes sense, as they don't do the 40c vis.

But I thought I recall reading that you can request the 40c vis from Toromont?

The person I spoke to at Toromont told me that they didn't do the 40c vis. She didn't mention that it could be requested either, though she did mention that I could ask for a particle count, TBN and TAN at no additional charge - just make sure I made note of it on the order form. I think if it was available, she would have told me to request it, like she did all the other tests.

It shows the 100C viscosity at 9.7 & a TBN of 6.27?

By the looks of that, something's wrong. The TBN almost tells me it's nothing but a blend at best. But yet the viscosity shows it to be a high end synthetic.

What's up with that?

I'm just a novice BTW, so forgive me if i'm a little off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back