Oil pump flow rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HV pump on my jeep is rated @ (something like) 9gpm @ 3500. I imagine that there's some limit due to the internal main outlet port size. My Qualcast pump has twice the vane depth of the OEM. It requires hot 20 weight oil to fit the entire volume of the pump output through the engine over the entire rpm range. Anything else slams against the relief.

I would peg the standard oil flow somewhere in the 5gpm range. I gauge this on my own application and stuff like Jeg's aftermarket HV pumps being (or use to) rated at under 10gpm for replacement pumps. Naturally, as OVERKILL remarks, outside of internal design limits of the pump, this would be a function of rpm limits.

..so take into account if you've got a generically OEM common passenger car engine or some ultra tweaked OEM supercar.

So do US manufacturers use vane pumps often? My Protege has an inside gear pump. I know embarrassingly little about oil pumps in vehicles. Being positive displacement, they obviously have some sort of pressure relief or regulating valve, correct?

I have a thread here describing the various types of pumps. I used the term "vane" generically.

This, minus the crescent, is probably what you're describing. Internal gear.
IntPumpLarge.gif

Here's my pump

ExtGearLarge.gif

I believe that true vane pumps are used on the V8 Nissan Titan. It's a curious configuration that sorta creates displacement on demand with it's internal regulation.

vanePumpLarge4.gif

Keep in mind that what an oil pump can put out and how much the engine actually flows will be different once the pump goes in to its pressure relief mode.

The maximum volume output of the pump/engine combination will be specified something like this:

"12 GPM Maximum @ 4500 RPM @ 65 PSI with 5W-30 oil @ 190 deg F"

All the factors have an influence on the max oil flow actually going through the engine. Changing the engine RPM, pump's pressure relief setting or oil temperature or weight will change the max oil flow the engine will actually see from the pump. All the excess flow goes back to the sump (or back to the pump's input port) before entering the filter, then the engine.

Originally Posted By: Gen1GT
That's another thing...what is the most common flow path for oil? So...sump, pump, filter, crank journals etc?

All oiling systems will have some uniqueness to them. Here's the oiling system of a LS1/LS6. I'd say basically, there are oil galleries that feed the crank/rod bearings, and galleries that feed the cam/head parts. There are multiple galleries that feed oil in parallel/simultaneously with each other.

0603htp_hawk_05_z%20copy.jpg

Yep, Gary's right. The LS1/LS6 engines have the filter bypass in the block ... not in the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back