Oreilly Auto Superstart batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking advice to buy or questioning your decision?
Personally, I think most batteries of the same make are all the same and just relabeled.

Seeking advice. All the Johnson Controls batteries sold by Advance Auto and Autozone look identical, but the Superstart Ones have no removable vent caps. Just wondering what the deal is with that.

These batteries have flat tops?

Maybe they're putting the AC Delco (Delphi) battery design back into production. Johnson Controls bought Delphi's battery manufacturing business. Recent AC Delco batteries are made by Johnson Controls and do have removeable vent caps.

I've seen Johnson Controls batteries with non-removeable vent caps (Ford uses them), but the actual battery case top is still the same, they just use a different type of vent cap that probably locks in place.

Can you get a picture of one?

Other possibility is that they're East Penn batteries.

This is, without a doubt, an East Penn/Deka battery:

40r72.jpg

They make the batteries AAA uses and a local shop I'm friends with the owner has a rack of batteries like this. This particular group size has a red ring around the vent caps and so do the ones (of this group size) with the AAA label on them at the shop.

Since this size Super Start battery is made by East Penn, chances are the other sizes are too..and they do look like East Penn batteries.

26r72.jpg

They're made by Johnson Controls according to batteryfaq.com and have a flat top. They do look like the old Ac Delcos, but those had a little clear window on top where you could check the electrolyte level.

I think I'm going to go with one of these! The Autolite Titanium in my car (Johnson made) has mass quantities of vapor coming out the vent caps and condensing on the top of the battery.

Last edited:
O'Reilly may have changed suppliers and the batteryfaq hasn't been updated.

That one you posted a picture of looks exactly like an East Penn battery, right down to the oval shaped port on the side of the battery case.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
O'Reilly may have changed suppliers and the batteryfaq hasn't been updated.

That one you posted a picture of looks exactly like an East Penn battery, right down to the oval shaped port on the side of the battery case.

Are East Penn good quality?

I just put a superstart Premium in a 1997 mustang, the manager told me it was a johnson controls battery (maybe that's what they are told?), he also said he was glad they don't carry Exide batteries anymore for what it's worth.

They come from JCI, they look exactly like the ones Costco sells.

The paperwork is from JCI, and the drivers have JCI on their shirts.

The Ones here are JCI. I went with another Advance Autolite Titanium - same battery as a Duralast Gold from the specs and I got about 30% knocked off the price from the 7 year warranty on the previous one.

The guy said I probably tightened the hold down clamp too much and distorted the case which broke some seals and allowed too much moisture to vent out.

Apparently they're good. We got one for the 2003 Corolla. The manager of Checker Auto Parts said they're using them in place of Autolites, due to the high failure rate of the Autolites.

Time will tell, only been in there a couple of months. Good quick starts though.

Johnson Controls makes the batteries for a good number of different brands, shown here:
www.autobatteries.com

For my Golf TDI, there were matches for these brands: Everstart, Blaine Farm and Fleet, DieHard, Kirkland Signature, Optima, and Duralast.

The DieHard battery had less than 600 CCA.

The Optima Red Top, size 35, had 720 CCA. It may also be sold under the Blains Farm and Fleet brand same part number (RED35).

The Duralast Gold, size 94R, had 650 CCA and is sold at Autozone.

Sam's Club sells the Energizer (aka Kirkland Signature), size 94R, with 765 CCA.

The Everstart battery, size 94R, 910 cranking amps, 765 CCA, sold at Walmart. That's the one I bought. It had a three-year replacement warranty, nine year pro-rated warranty, and only cost $75!

Before going to Walmart, I took at look at what O'Reillys had to offer. They had Optima Red Tops, but I didn't feel like paying $150+. And something else but they would have had to order it. Walmart had several batteries in the correct size, ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back