Fluid film as a wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a fluid film distributor:
Quote:
Thanks very much for your questions.
a) UV Protection: Yes, the "NAS" product does have UV protection. There are probably better products out there to use primarily as a wax. However that being said, I've spoken to hundreds of people that use it as a wax product on their tractors, equipment, and boats. I personally use it as a wax on the hull of my boat, with great results. I've seen pictures on some other forums where people have applied Fluid Film to oxidized equipment, and the results are amazing. Like new? No. But certainly a significant improvement.

I find this interesting for use on my tractor and attachments and my old trusty rusty that I have been experimenting with different products on.

From www.fluid-film.com
Quote:
Oxidized Paint Jobs
Fluid Film brings back the luster on old, oxidized paint jobs. Spray directly on paint and rub in like a wax.

On oxidized paint it seems obvious but if you watch the video in the agriculture section they were applying it directly to the painted surface of a combine. I know it contains lanolin wax but I had never considered using it as a paint protectant.

Any thoughts from the board? I'd also be interested if anyone has a recommendation for a product that would be as easy to use when optimum clarity is not important. Ease of application and reasonable protection are all that matter.

Not sure a wet, non-drying film that is promoted as a chain lube and rust preventive is the best thing to use on automotive paint.

Lanolin wax has a melting point of around 100*F, and the paint surface of a car in the direct sun will easily be hotter than that.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Not sure a wet, non-drying film that is promoted as a chain lube and rust preventive is the best thing to use on automotive paint.

Lanolin wax has a melting point of around 100*F, and the paint surface of a car in the direct sun will easily be hotter than that.

Automotive paint is pretty inert, especially to anything with a low KB value. Thus you need strong stuff like Aircraft stripper to remove it. Stuff like silicone fluids and straight mineral oils are going to be harmless to it.

Highly refined lanolin could be all sorts of things, but usually its fairly polar substance which is why it sticks to metals and tends to form emulsions in water.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
From a fluid film distributor:
On oxidized paint it seems obvious but if you watch the video in the agriculture section they were applying it directly to the painted surface of a combine. I know it contains lanolin wax but I had never considered using it as a paint protectant.

Any thoughts from the board? I'd also be interested if anyone has a recommendation for a product that would be as easy to use when optimum clarity is not important. Ease of application and reasonable protection are all that matter.

The trick is that product forms a clear film, which allows white light to flow into the paint paste the surface layer of oxidised paint (which causes a diffuse reflection). Just about any clear liquid (but especially one with a high reflactive index) will have this "color deepening" effect. Try using lemon pledge, and you'll get the same effect.

As so absolute ease of use, Turtle Wax Ice Liquid. Just wet a wax applicator with it, and then wipe on, and 5-8 minutes later wipe off with an MF. Ultra super easy, and it goes on clear with no chalky residue.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22

Automotive paint is pretty inert, especially to anything with a low KB value. Thus you need strong stuff like Aircraft stripper to remove it. Stuff like silicone fluids and straight mineral oils are going to be harmless to it.

Highly refined lanolin could be all sorts of things, but usually its fairly polar substance which is why it sticks to metals and tends to form emulsions in water.

Interesting. Most of the equipment is powdercoated, some parts are painted but its not exactly automotive quality. My trusty rusty F150 is automotive paint but fairly well faded with plenty of oxidization. I am going to try fluid film on these items to check the results. At $39 a gallon I'm not sure if it will be completely cost effective but I am still interested.

I am interested in some protection for these pieces of equipment that is cost effective and not overly time consuming. Things like aquawax wear off in no time at all and using an entire bottle doesn't seem very effective. I may simply go with a coat of fluid film or amsoil MPHD on the tiller and cutter for the winter and/or just paint them each year to prevent corrosion.

I'd just go with TW Ice if I wanted to regularly polish/clean these parts. It's cheap and easy to work with. It's a blend of silicones and waxes,

Otherwise I would just clean them really well once, and then spray them with some sort of clear primer or rust inhibitor etc. Rustoleum makes several different kinds of sprayable clear coat type products. You could go to autozone/home depot and find plenty.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back