VOA: BMW MTF-LT-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the real $150 per 5 Liter jug of BMW's latest low viscosity MTF...

BMWMTF-LT-3_VOAdist_sm.jpg

Wheres the beef?

Pretty thin(ATF like) fluid. Interesting to see what the UOA's will be. Better have some unobtainium in the mix otherwise not expecting it to protect all that well.

That's the big question with this fluid... is there anything special to this "secret sauce" to have decent long term wear characteristics? I don't know, but since this is advertised by BMW as being a lifetime fill, hopefully (for the vehicle owner's) there is something to it. I suspect there's something, but can't tell what or how much and haven't found any MSDS's etc for this fluid.

I have noticed a few interesting traits in a small "on the road" vehicle test I'm conducting with this & other fluids. This stuff doesn't have the typical shift character of a thin ATF. Most thin ATF's shift better when cold to warm and get notchy as temps increase & they thin down (i.e. on a racetrack when they get HOT). This stuff shifts decent when cold, but gets better as temps increase & shifts great hot. Even Redline D4 got notchy as track temps increased. Also, when filling the trans using my typical manual fluid transfer pump (where viscosity usually equates nicely with pumping force & time), this stuff was harder to pump & took longer to fill than some typical Dex3 ATF's.

I guess a UOA will tell if it'll wear out MT's.

Originally Posted By: 4wheels
This is the real $150 per 5 Liter jug of BMW's latest low viscosity MTF...

What's the part number on the jug? The dealer's changing the fluid in my 6MT this week and I'm wondering which fluid it will be.

The p/n is listed on the VOA in the top left corner (83 22 7 533 818). Most BMW dealers are confused which vehicles should get this fluid, and which should stay with the MTF-LT-2.

Digging an old one up here, but I just called the dealer and they told me for my 1998 M3 5spd manual trans, that they think the origingal fluid would be MTF-LT2 but that LT3 supercedes it and thats what they would supply @ $19/ .5 liter, thats $60 for the 1.3 qts I would need. Im going with Pennzoil syncrhomesh or Redline D4 ATF. Redline's website recommends their D4 product, over their MTL or MT-90 which are thicker. I have used the synchromesh in a 92 325i I had and it seemed to improve the worn out synchros working

Does any know what the weight of this oil is? I am looking to replace my OEM LT3 fluid with Motul and I wanted to try to get the closest match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back