How short to cut grass for last cut before snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is never a good time to cut fescue or bluegrass under 2 1/2 inches. This shocks the grass and the cold weather also shocks the grass. Put down a good winterizing fertilizer and wait till spring to worry about the lawn again.

If it makes you feel any better I owned a landscaping company for 8 years.

Can't say i've ever done anything special.

I just cut it like normal and trim very well - so it all looks good. But then, I never cut it real short anyway...

28.gif

af0h - Rob

Final cut. Normal length.

The only area I may cut short is the dog poop areas and the grass in that direction. Pooches don't like walking through long wet grass. What can I say?

I usually cut it on the 3rd setting, but before winter I set it down to the 2nd notch. It helps to pick up mulched up leaves, acorns, and pick up some of the junk. Doesn't quite de-thatch it, but it's the next best thing.

We probably have about the same kind of grass considering where we live. I set my mower on 3" and leave it there all year. I fertilize four times per year and will be putting down the final winter fertilizer next week. I will mow the grass for the last time just before I fertilize and mulch any leaves that are on the lawn at the time.

I cut mine shorter than usual, but I don't scalp the lawn like some of my neighbors. If you leave it long, the grass will mat under the snow, which can't be beneficial.

I also keep mine at 3 inches all through the season. I used let it grow longer in the fall before the snow fell but one year when we got a lot of snow cover, the mice burrowed under the snow, ate the longer grass and made nests under the snow with the grass. Made a lot of mess. Since then I have cut it the normal length in the fall.

According to my lawncare guy, you should cut the grass shorter each time, ending up at 1.5" (it's been a pretty dry summer, so we'd been keeping it between 2.5 - 3") for the final mow, to avoid snowmold issues. This is for common northern rye/bluegrass lawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back