Front differential
Differential oil
Hypoid gear oil API GL–5
SAE 75W–90
Rear differential

Hypoid gear oil API GL–5 SAE 75W–90
Above –18°C (0°F) SAE 90
Below –18 °C (0 °F) SAE 80W or 80W–90
Why would they list 80w90 gear oil for colder weather than 745w90? This is for a toyota tacoma 4x4 2001 pick up. Why do they list the straight weight oils?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigsteve
PP–90
PREPARATION – SUSPENSION AND AXLE
Author: Date: 141
2003 TOYOTA TACOMA (RM1002U)
LUBRICANT
Item Capacity Application

Front differential
Differential oil
Hypoid gear oil API GL–5
SAE 75W–90
Rear differential

Hypoid gear oil API GL–5 SAE 75W–90
Above –18°C (0°F) SAE 90
Below –18 °C (0 °F) SAE 80W or 80W–90
Why would they list 80w90 gear oil for colder weather than 745w90? This is for a toyota tacoma 4x4 2001 pick up. Why do they list the straight weight oils?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Agree use 75W-90 gear oil.

Owners manuals are very confusing sometimes. Most 75W-90 gear oils are synthetic and most straight weights and 80W-90 gear oils are mineral based. What they are trying to tell you is if the temps are above 0-F you can use a straight 90wt gear oil, but if you are going to see temps below 0-F to use a 80W-90 mineral gear oil. Your 75W-90 gear oils will cover a wider temp range, and will work a lot better in below 0 temps.

A good gear oil to use that you can probably find on the parts shelf of most parts stores in your area would be Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil. You do not have to add anything to it in case you have a limited slip/posi-track diff.

Last edited:
FWIW, the 2008 Scion xD I have (Toyota w/ different name) recommends 75W for the manual tranny. No 75Wxx, just 75W.

Look into the Amsoil SVG 75W90 or their 75W110.

I thought that straigt weight oils went away in the 60s or 70s for the newer multi weight gear oils like 80w90? Does toyota know something about single weight gear oils that we don't?

I thought that straigt weight oils went away in the 60s or 70s for the newer multi weight gear oils like 80w90? Does toyota know something about single weight gear oils that we don't?

I have a 2000 Tundra and 2004 S2000 that recommend SAE 90 GL5 in the rear differential (80W-90 if below 0F in the Tundra). The Tundra recommends only 75W-90 in the front diff and T-case. My take on why this is is purely speculative. To my knowledge, excessive heat and extreme pressures are the mortal enemies of the rear differential. The front diff is for situational/emergency use only, and instant complete lubrication would be the highest priority requirement of the gear oil. Why SAE 90 in the rear, because it stays in grade better than multi-vis for the long haul (the UOA's I've seen seem to comfirm this). Why multi-vis 75W-90 in the front and T-case? Because staying in grade is not critical for their use.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

I have a 2000 Tundra and 2004 S2000 that recommend SAE 90 GL5 in the rear differential (80W-90 if below 0F in the Tundra). The Tundra recommends only 75W-90 in the front diff and T-case. My take on why this is is purely speculative. To my knowledge, excessive heat and extreme pressures are the mortal enemies of the rear differential. The front diff is for situational/emergency use only, and instant complete lubrication would be the highest priority requirement of the gear oil. Why SAE 90 in the rear, because it stays in grade better than multi-vis for the long haul (the UOA's I've seen seem to comfirm this). Why multi-vis 75W-90 in the front and T-case? Because staying in grade is not critical for their use.
I use 75W-90 gear oil in my '01 Tundra, and when I disassembled the differential to install a limited slip unit, the gear tooth contact areas were beautiful...perfect contact with exactly the wear pattern we'd hope for. I've done a lot of towing with this truck at about 90% of max combined weight rating. I do not know why Toyota recommends 80W-90 or 90 wt. in these rear differentials.

Castrol conventional gear oil I had read it was very good. I have Valvoline 75w90 gear oil conventional for the front differential and transfer case because thats the only dino gear oil I can find in 75w90, thats what toyota recommends for those two. The only 90w gear oil I have found is on the web LE 607 qt for 12.50 ea

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back