Alternative to GM Top End Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM Top End Cleaner used to be the cat's meow-- it was super strong and did a fantastic job of dissolving carbon deposits.

Unfortunately, it has now been discontinued. Seafoam is still available, but I doubt it is anywhere as strong as the GM stuff.

So, what is our next best alternative? BG ISC?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car-50.html

From what it appears, the Mopar stuff is simply repackaged Wynn's Combustion Chamber Cleaner, part #68917, but in aerosol/foaming form. The Mopar stuff's MSDS can actually be found on the Wynn's USA website. In fact, the MSDS for both the Wynn's Combustion Chamber Cleaner and the Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner look identical.

I've never used it myself, thus the link. But at least you or I can use it without any special tools.

I'm going to try it soon through the brake booster hose, as the throttle body is a real PITA to get to.

Apparently it's illegal in CA.

So, it looks like I'll have to resort to Amsoil Powerfoam, Wynn's Premium Combustion Chamber Cleaner or BG Induction System Cleaner.

Wonder what the Chrysler dealers use if it's illegal there. But any of the three you have should work as well.

I've done the seafoam thing on the Camaro and the Z4. The former would stumble, while the latter would rev up.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
GM Top End Cleaner used to be the cat's meow-- it was super strong and did a fantastic job of dissolving carbon deposits.

Unfortunately, it has now been discontinued. Seafoam is still available, but I doubt it is anywhere as strong as the GM stuff.

Thanks!

I use Johnson/ Evinrude engine tuner .Its the baddest stuff on the planet.Just don't tell the marina I said you can use it in your car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Johnson-E...7QQcmdZViewItem

Originally Posted By: chad8

Thanks!

I use Johnson/ Evinrude engine tuner .Its the baddest stuff on the planet.Just don't tell the marina I said you can use it in your car.

I wonder if this stuff will harm the converter?

The old Camry has an annoying light load, light throttle ping.

I just used 4oz of the now banned GM cleaner; one ounce through each of the spark plug holes and its been soaking for about 12 hours.

Smoke screen scheduled for 6AM tomorrow.
57.gif

Any idea what's in that stuff? Got a MSDS?

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

I just used 4oz of the now banned GM cleaner; one ounce through each of the spark plug holes and its been soaking for about 12 hours.

57.gif

20.gif

Interesting>last year, i went to a different chrysoler dealer, in RYE NY. Looking at the oils, cleaners, ect he had behindhis counter, he had ALOT! of Wynn stuff. SO im guessing mopar is re badged wynn. I asked him what oil moapr 5w 30 oil was, he told me it was re badged mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: BayouTodd
I hear MOPAR has some really good top end cleaner...?

It's relabled Wynn's.

Any idea what's in that stuff? Got a MSDS?

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

57.gif

20.gif

This is for crc but is very close

Section 2: Composition/Information on Ingredients
Component CAS ACGIH OSHA OTHER %
NUMBER TLV PEL LIMITS
Petroleum Distillates 64742-52-5 NE NE NE 50 – 60
Light Aromatic Petroleum Naphtha 64742-95-6 NE NE NE < 5
Heavy Aromatic Petroleum Naphtha 64742-94-5 NE NE NE < 5
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 20 ppm 50 ppm 5 ppm 5 - 10
Sorbitan monotallate 61791-48-8 NE NE NE < 5
Diacetone Alcohol 123-42-2 50 ppm 50 ppm NE < 5