Rislone Compression Repair with Ring Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried this product?
54.gif

Rislone Compression with Ring Seal

I've used Restore on a beat up 85 Camry that smoke like a smokestack.
I put the 6cyl Restore can in, and about 10 minutes later the smoking stopped. I got brave and went to get it smogged, AND IT PASSED!! as I drove out it started to smoke again, about 5 minutes later is slowed down and stopped smoking, after that it lasted about 2600 miles and then smoked again. So oil change every 2600 with a can of Restore, The stuff works, just didn't go a full oil change cycle. But I was impressed!

Actually, if you search "rislone compression" (without quotes) it does work well. What our search has trouble with are very short queries, like "PP" "M1" "STP" - basically it's ignored if it's three letters or less.

It's a VII and viscosity increaser in a carrier oil.

But why do you want to torture your engine?

Have you checked compression on each cylinder to determine if you need something like this?

Use ARX or frequent oil changes and let it ride.

As I see it, there is very little evidence either way (pro or con) for this product on BITOG. Unfortunately any discussion of oil additives quickly gets diluted with ARX related non-sense.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
As I see it, there is very little evidence either way (pro or con) for this product on BITOG. Unfortunately any discussion of oil additives quickly gets diluted with ARX related non-sense.

Very true sadly.

There is just cause for this anomaly. Take Amsoil. Now let's take the worst opinion you can find. We're all incestuous yahoos! that will sell our grandmother for a dime and promise you the moon and the stars with our magic oil.

Yet we have NOT ONE remedial product for sale to mix in with our oils to enhance them or whatnot. The engine flush is a prep agent for those converting to our version of Jim Jones koolaid.

Not one product to fix ..extend ..swell...stop..whatever.

Now if we don't want to sell something, being the "friendly" (kiss-kiss) people we are, what's that tell you?

Molecule, and those of his caliber, know what these agents are made of and how they impact oil. Oil that's just fine as it is and oil that should need no altering to be in the best condition to do its job.

The seemingly invariable mentioning of Auto-Rx is due to the same understanding of what it's made of.

"Mechanic in a Can"'s came into being for a reason. Oils sucked and consumers sucked too. Oils have come a long way since Rislone and MMO came on the scene. They've eliminated most of the reasons one would use them.

So, what you're really seeing is "I don't recommend using any of that stuff because (fill in the blanks)..if you need something, Auto-Rx would be what I recommend for that condition". At least in Molakule's case ..or someone like bruce381. Bruce doesn't even like Auto-Rx.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
There is just cause for this anomaly. Take Amsoil. Now let's take the worst opinion you can find. We're all incestuous yahoos! that will sell our grandmother for a dime and promise you the moon and the stars with our magic oil.

Yet we have NOT ONE remedial product for sale to mix in with our oils to enhance them or whatnot. The engine flush is a prep agent for those converting to our version of Jim Jones koolaid.

Not one product to fix ..extend ..swell...stop..whatever.

Now if we don't want to sell something, being the "friendly" (kiss-kiss) people we are, what's that tell you?

Molecule, and those of his caliber, know what these agents are made of and how they impact oil. Oil that's just fine as it is and oil that should need no altering to be in the best condition to do its job.

The seemingly invariable mentioning of Auto-Rx is due to the same understanding of what it's made of.

"Mechanic in a Can"'s came into being for a reason. Oils sucked and consumers sucked too. Oils have come a long way since Rislone and MMO came on the scene. They've eliminated most of the reasons one would use them.

So, what you're really seeing is "I don't recommend using any of that stuff because (fill in the blanks)..if you need something, Auto-Rx would be what I recommend for that condition". At least in Molakule's case ..or someone like bruce381. Bruce doesn't even like Auto-Rx.

If oil's have come a long way since Risolone and MMO came on the scene and we have eliminated most of the reasons one would use them, then we can add auto-rx to the list with Risolone and MMO.

I think people are getting upset because this is a Risolone thread, not an arx thread.

If Risolone is such a bad product then why is it still sold in auto-parts stores, people are still buying it, if it were such a bad product then wouldn't they be out of business.

Good point, c3po. I'm merely explaining why most of these products are summarily dismissed by the upper strata brains.

Those products do exist to treat symptoms for those who have them. The question the upper tier types ask is "Why do you have the problem to begin with?". Why is your lifter ticking? Is it a common engine characteristic of that family? Is it due to you or the previous owner not performing the proper maintenance ..etc..etc.

It's the same reason why (some, anyway) physicians won't allow you the easy way out of some unhealthy behavior ....if you see what I'm saying. The risks outweigh the benefits and the best defense is not to be there.

In most professional views (and I'm talking the REAL professionals here - not just some adapted novice like myself) these agents are only agents of last resort and are compensating for some condition that could/should have been avoided. That's why they're shunned for prophylactic use.

You do something else instead of using them. Change your oil more often ..get the right viscosity ..etc..etc.

For a tribologist I think (my opinion) that they view the use of these agents as "turding a polish" ..so to speak.

Well stated Gary.
thumbsup2.gif

There was no intent to convert this thread into an ARX thread, nor to turn into a frequent oil change thread.

I simply suggested TWO alternative options that might save you some headaches in the future, such as ARX OR frequent oil changes.

Please notice that I asked a question as to why you thought you would need this OTC additive. I.E., what tests had you run that led you to the conclusion that you needed this product?

Let's say hypothetically I was a mechanic and you brought in a high mileage vehicle to me with a performance complaint. Let's say I tested the compression and found one or more cylinders with low compression.

Sure, I might recommend the Rislone goop for a short term fix, but as a conciencious mechanic, I might also recommend some alternatives for a longer term fix, such as an engine cleaner or ask you to come in for more frequent oil changes and see if that helped your situation. Of course, eventually I might suggest a rebuild with new rings, valve stem seals, etc.

However, if your cylinder compression was within specs for that engine mileage, I might recommend a set of plugs, wires, injector cleaning, intake and fuel system cleaning, CAT replacement, etc.

So what's the point? I am trying to get the customer to think about WHY he really needs something (based on science or experiment), rather than falling for vapor advertising or internet sludge.

Last edited:
Quote:
If Risolone is such a bad product then why is it still sold in auto-parts stores, people are still buying it, if it were such a bad product then wouldn't they be out of business.

The same reason the STP Blue Bottle goop, Motor Honey, etc., is still being sold.

Main reasons are: Advertising, especially using personality endorsements, lack of customer education, and of course, what I call internet sludge, or internet misinformation.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Good point, c3po. I'm merely explaining why most of these products are summarily dismissed by the upper strata brains.

Those products do exist to treat symptoms for those who have them. The question the upper tier types ask is "Why do you have the problem to begin with?". Why is your lifter ticking? Is it a common engine characteristic of that family? Is it due to you or the previous owner not performing the proper maintenance ..etc..etc.

It's the same reason why (some, anyway) physicians won't allow you the easy way out of some unhealthy behavior ....if you see what I'm saying. The risks outweigh the benefits and the best defense is not to be there.

In most professional views (and I'm talking the REAL professionals here - not just some adapted novice like myself) these agents are only agents of last resort and are compensating for some condition that could/should have been avoided. That's why they're shunned for prophylactic use.

You do something else instead of using them. Change your oil more often ..get the right viscosity ..etc..etc.

For a tribologist I think (my opinion) that they view the use of these agents as "turding a polish" ..so to speak.

Thanks to Gary and Molakule for there informative posts, I do agree with both of your comments about doing frequent oil changes, meaning if your owner's manual calls for a 5000 mile OCI then it is wise to stick with that OCI. I guess you could go longer if you had an OLM or you did mostly highway driving.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Well stated Gary.
thumbsup2.gif

.... but as a conciencious mechanic, I might also recommend some alternatives for a longer term fix, such as an engine cleaner ....

I am not going to argue one way or the other on Auto RX, but the mechanics I have known for many years say NOT to use engine cleaners because of the damage they cause.

Eventually even well maintained engines "can" get dirty. Problem is many people treat engines that have no issues because they think they might be dirty, or bought into advertising hype. Then they run out buy the stuff use it and it doesn't work. I tell them you can't clean it if it aint dirty! If it aint broke you can't fix it!

OTOH, others neglect their engines to the point that if they could talk they would beg to be put out of their misery! In these cases products get a bad rap for not working. These liquid cleaners can't replace worn or broken neglected parts, PERIOD. They work in certain cases, not all cases. I do use MMO as an ounce of prevention, it hasn't let me down. JMO

Originally Posted By: freedhardwoods

I am not going to argue one way or the other on Auto RX, but the mechanics I have known for many years say NOT to use engine cleaners because of the damage they cause.

Well, obviously, you don't know anything about AutoRx, do you?

Q.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back