Mobil1 5w-30 ESP VW 504/507

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
VOA of the M1 5w30 ESP that I put into the wife's 2008 VW rabbit.

Everything else is 0 or 1 unless noted.

Si 2
B 233
Na 5
Mg 9
Ca 632
P 707
Zn 785
Mo 78

Visc @ 40 71.8cSt
Visc @ 100 11.8cSt

Calcium seems low, but there is a nice shot of Boro in there.

This is an A3 rated oil too.

With Ca THAT low, I'd expect about the same amount, or more, of Mg to make it up. I know it has Boron; but that's more AW than detergent/dispersant, isn't it? I don't see how that oil could make it more than 3-4k miles....

I agree. Thought there should be more Mg too.

We will see via a 5k OCI, then a UOA to determine... Should see winter use with short drives, so it will be a good test.

that cal is
crazy2.gif

I keep hearing people say things about the new formulations of Mobil 1, and it sounds like "low calcium", "low magnesium", "less than ideal ratio of anti-wear / detergents", but there is a common theme it evokes in my mind, and it starts with "S" and ends in "K". I wish I really knew more about oil in general, enough to know if it's time to abandon it altogether. For now, I keep using it. There just seems to be so much negative commentary on it, versus most other oils, on the site, and these are coming from folks who are studying oils. If it's bad, let's just say it's bad.

Oops, they're a sponsor...can we do that? LOL

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
I keep hearing people say things about the new formulations of Mobil 1, and it sounds like "low calcium", "low magnesium", "less than ideal ratio of anti-wear / detergents", but there is a common theme it evokes in my mind, and it starts with "S" and ends in "K". I wish I really knew more about oil in general, enough to know if it's time to abandon it altogether. For now, I keep using it. There just seems to be so much negative commentary on it, versus most other oils, on the site, and these are coming from folks who are studying oils. If it's bad, let's just say it's bad.

I wouldn't worry about M1 oils. They are the premier synt oil producer in the world and largest PAO producer as far as I know. They have too much at stake to produce inferior oils and oil formulations are too complicated for most of to understand.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about M1 oils. They are the premier synt oil producer in the world and largest PAO producer as far as I know. They have too much at stake to produce inferior oils and oil formulations are too complicated for most of to understand.

True. And everything you have read or have been old about Mag, moly, calcium, etc., you may as well forget about it.

New chemistries are changing the face of that bottle of oil.

Instead, you should be looking at the performance and UOA results of oils and look for trending of wear metals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck

AFAIK, ESP 504/507 isn't a Group IV basestock oil anyway. the 504/507 oils I have seen group predominantly Group III

also, if you want to compare against another 504/507, I did post a blackstone VOA on the Total 504/507 a while back

Last edited:
Do you have the TBN of this oil, I read in other VOA it gives an 5.1 TBN, It looks low, but I guess they use different kind of additive package, that don't need a high TBN.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
VOA of the M1 5w30 ESP that I put into the wife's 2008 VW rabbit.

Everything else is 0 or 1 unless noted.

Si 2
B 233
Na 5
Mg 9
Ca 632
P 707
Zn 785
Mo 78

Visc @ 40 71.8cSt
Visc @ 100 11.8cSt

What is the story on Boron? Does a heavy dose of boron (and some moly) make up for surprisingly low levels of zinc and calcium?

The viscosity is fairly high for a 30-weight... what, about a 37-weight?

I want to see some UOA with this oil in TDI engines. I want to see LOTS of UOA before I draw any conclusions. (I will be sticking with Turbo Diesel Truck in my own '03 TDI.)

I have this same oil in the '05 Beetle TDI the wife drives. About 2500 miles on the oil so far. I was going to run it to 10,000 but I think I may run it to 5000 and draw a sample for UOA at that time. Before this oil, I had M1 TDT CJ4 in it, so I'm not sure if that will skew a UOA of this oil... for oil changes I gravity drain via the oil pan plug but I also use a Pela 6000 to get as much used oil out of the oil filter compartment as I can,including running the Pela's tube as far down into the oil cooler tube as I can. So this may have removed enough of the TDT so the ESP will be an accurate sample when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I have this same oil in the '05 Beetle TDI the wife drives. About 2500 miles on the oil so far. I was going to run it to 10,000 but I think I may run it to 5000 and draw a sample for UOA at that time. Before this oil, I had M1 TDT CJ4 in it, so I'm not sure if that will skew a UOA of this oil... for oil changes I gravity drain via the oil pan plug but I also use a Pela 6000 to get as much used oil out of the oil filter compartment as I can,including running the Pela's tube as far down into the oil cooler tube as I can. So this may have removed enough of the TDT so the ESP will be an accurate sample when the time comes.

The TDT has no moly, so you will see how much of it is retained by the percentage of moly compared to the VOA posted above.

I assume you mean you will draw a sample at 5000 miles, not that you will drain at 5000 miles. The TDT was a 10k-mile OCI at a minimum, and maybe 15k; the ESP Formula will be a 10k-mile OCI but maybe not safe to extend to 15k. We will see.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Quote:

What is the story on Boron? Does a heavy dose of boron (and some moly) make up for surprisingly low levels of zinc and calcium?

Hi Red,
In the Handbook of Detergents,there is a statement that goes, 'Incorporating borates into overbased detergents was claimed to provide anti-oxidant, anti-rust, improved frictional characteristics, and extreme pressure qualities to the lubricating oil.'

Originally Posted By: mesmo
Do you have the TBN of this oil, I read in other VOA it gives an 5.1 TBN, It looks low, but I guess they use different kind of additive package, that don't need a high TBN.

ON a diesel application, the starting TSB doesn't need to be as high anymore, because of the introduction of ultra-low sulfur diesel. The much lower sulfur in the diesel will create less acidic (ie sulfuric acid) byproducts, which influences TBN degradation.

ON a gas application, the straight 5 isn't a FSI, so it should be relatively gentle on the oil, compared to the 2.0t on the GTI/GLI & Jetta 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back